+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Thought About Chronic Gastritis and Duodenitis

A Thought About Chronic Gastritis and Duodenitis

If there is anyone that can help me understand this, please share advise or opinion...As you know Im scheduled for collis gastroplasty/fundoplication in about 10 days....Looking over my recent EGD report and past ones (also past pathology reports) of the last 15-18 months something is starting to bother me.....Everyone of my reports talks about chronic gastritis, duodenitis, and esophagitis..Im upset that I have new ulcers and erosions as I follow all the life style changes, Jesus, Ive lost 50 lbs in a yr....Also this past march I had GB removal for chronic cholecystitis and stones....I realize fundoplication should stop the acid from reaching the esophagus and should help in that area and that seems to be the most important because of my barretts...Ive been on 100mg nexium daily for many months and if Im still producing that much acid then fundo surgery wont stop the damage in the other places, such as the duodenum and stomach and I wonder if it could even make it worse in those areas if more of the acid has to stay there by not being allowed to reflux up?....This has controlled my life for more than a year, Is this going to be a never ending story? Thanks, tessa

QUOTE][i]Originally posted by tmca [/i]
    [B]...Ive been on 100mg nexium daily for many months and if Im still producing that much acid then fundo surgery wont stop the damage in the other places, such as the duodenum and stomach and I wonder if it could even make it worse in those areas if more of the acid has to stay there by not being allowed to reflux up?.... [/B][/QUOTE]

IMHO...I don't think it works that way. Not that much acid refluxes up compared to what's in your stomach..also whatever goes up eventually comes down.

Has there been any discussion of bile in your stomach?...bile refluxing into your stomach would cause increasingly more stomach acid to be produced... the body compensates because bile is alkaline. I ask because bile refluxing into the esophagus from the stomach has been implicated in Barrett's. Have you ever been prescribed Carafate?

I'm assuming they have ruled out H.Pilori and Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

Question

Hi Tessa Is your chronic gastritis and duodenitis non erosive or erosive l? Do you have ulcers in the stomach and duodenum as well or just your esophagus?

H-Pylori has been ruled out several times....duodenitis is erosive but gastritis I dont see any mention of erosive....Ulcers are always in esophagus........We are getting ready to go back down there today for my coronary evaluation, will let you know how that comes out.....Take care....Tessa

gastritis -- deoudinitis

Hi Tessa There are so many causes of this it's mind boggling.-- and types. . Do you feel you have any symptoms from this---- Because chronic erosive often doesn't produce symptoms No therapy is universally beneficial or curative either. It most often stays the same for a long time-- only progresses so far.

Chronic simply implies some degree of atrophy (with loss of functional capacity of the mucosa) It predominantly involves the antrum, ---with decreased gastrin secretion--

or it can involve the corpus, leading to reduced acid, pepsin, and intrinsic factor.

My guess would be yours would involve the antrum because it also involves the dueodeum- they are next door.

Some types of chronic gastritis and deudeonitis involve decreased mucousal defense due to other illnesses- viral infections Chrohns etc. And some types are linked to systemic diseases.... amyloid...... sarcoid, .. TB

H pylori isn't associated as a rule with the type that you have.

Don't think the operation will affect it one way or the other, it certainly won't make it worse.

Besides Zollindger Ellison syndrome, there is a similar disease called Cronkhite-Canada syndrome,and many other stuff to rule out.

The good news is there are much much worse kinds of gastritis- deoudenitis to have -

Good luck with your evaluation

+ Reply to Thread