+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mitral Valve Prolapse and GERD

Mitral Valve Prolapse and GERD

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) is a heart condition that's not very serious but as I noticed recently can be pretty bothersome.

I believe I always had MVP, it's hereditary in my family. My father had it and he never really had a problem with it.

I also didn't have much of a problem with it until recently. About 3 months ago I started experiencing pretty annoying (and sometimes scary) chest pains that would wake me up at night. It kind of aches and there is a feeling like your heart is beeing squeezed, not a great feeling. Sometimes I also get increased heartrate and sometimes palpitations and irregular heartbeat. This doesn't only happen during the night, but also during the day.

I noticed that I am getting these symptoms more often now, especially when there is a lot of stress or some physical activity (even small one like walking up the stairs).

I'm only 25 and it really bothers me that now besides battling with GERD I have to figure out these chest pains. I read about MVP and I saw that these pains are normal symptoms of this condition. But I never had these pains before so I'm wondering how much of it is related to my GERD.

Had EKG, Ultrasound and Event Monitor to check out my heart. The doc said that it's nothing too serious and that I'm only 25 bla bla bla.... But it really bothers me and I want to get rid of it.

Anyone else experience these symptoms?

Stan

Mitral Valve Prolapse can be serious if your valve is so bad that you need open heart surgery to replace it. Of course that's why you have the ultrasound...to rule out the serious problems. Also the ultrasound can see whether or not there is "regergitation" of blood....this is a back flow through a weakened valve....if this happens they usually suggest antibiotics before dental and surgical procedures including endoscopies. Your doctor would have told you if this was your case.

I was diagnosed with mild mitral valve prolapse (had an ultrasound) after visiting a cardiologist because of an occasional irregular heart beat (skipped beats). They turned out to be PACs (pre-atrial contractions) and benign. I never had chest pains. I was diagnosed with GERD 3 years later when I developed heartburn. I found the heartbeat irregularity to coincide with emotional stress/anxiety or sometimes with a sudden strong physical activity....never when I just had heartburn.

You didn't say whether your doctor was a cardiologist or not. You may be worrying about it too much or something may have changed. It doesn't hurt to see a cardiologist for peace of mind....or go back and talk to your doctor again. It may be a combination of both GERD, anxiety and MVP. There are some posters who have heart irregularities due to GERD (vegas nerve being stimulated) but since you have MVP too, don't just assume.

I have had the same chest apin associated with my GERD. I have been checked for MVP, because of frequent heart palps about 5 years ago. All ws fine, no MVP, doc said palps can be common and benign, but bothersome. I stay away from all stimulants. Still have palps but not as often and they dont bother me anymore, almost everyone inmy family gets them and we are all OK. The GERD could be causing the chest apin you are describing??

i have mvp to,i forgot all about that,is mvp serious when they heard a click,it was when they diagnosed me with anxiety.i wore a 24 hour heart monitor doc says i was fine..i have severe panic disorder,and gerd,but get pain in my chest..doc told me mvp probally would never bother me..im only 24 also,thin..any input?

[i]Originally posted by trailer_man [/i]
    [B]....is mvp serious when they heard a click,it was when they diagnosed me with anxiety. [/B]
    A clicking sound is made when the flaps of the heart valve lightly snap backward. Your doctor can sometimes hear it while using a stethascope. It is also called a murmer and for the majority of people it is not serious. If you've been examined and your doctor told you it is not serious, don't worry about it. Here are some sites:
    [url]http://www.drmirkin.com/[/url]
    [url]http://www.heartcenteronline.com/myheartdr/common/articles.cfm?ARTID=76[/url]
    [url]http://my.webmd.com/content/healthwise/165/52370.htm?lastselectedguid=[/url]{5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

+ Reply to Thread