+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lpr

Lpr

Please help....I have been diagnosed with LPR after a year and 20 doctors. I have never seen my symptoms anywhere. In addition to hoarseness, I have fluid in what seems like the E-tubes. It crackles and at the same time I have nasal congestion. When all this is happening, my ears are hissing. When there is no fluid and no congestion, my ears are not hissing. Has anyone had acid back into the nasal passage and E-tubes. I am going crazy. I cannot take the PPI's because I have adverse reactions to them. I think I want surgery. Thank you for your help. Sandy

Re: Lpr

[i]Originally posted by doctormom [/i]
    [B]Please help....I have been diagnosed with LPR after a year and 20 doctors. I have never seen my symptoms anywhere. In addition to hoarseness, I have fluid in what seems like the E-tubes. It crackles and at the same time I have nasal congestion. When all this is happening, my ears are hissing. When there is no fluid and no congestion, my ears are not hissing. Has anyone had acid back into the nasal passage and E-tubes. I am going crazy. I cannot take the PPI's because I have adverse reactions to them. I think I want surgery. Thank you for your help. Sandy [/B]
    A couple of thoughts.. It may not be acid getting into the e-tube so much as mucus being created in reaction to the acid.

I have had to deal with similar congestion and crackling with the hissing... all of my life. When I reached my thirties I discovered that if I stopped drinking milk the symptoms were greatly reduced. If I drink one glass of whole milk I feel like I am getting a cold. The mucus starts forming almost instantly. I believe (not tested) that I might have an allergy to a protein that they put into milk call casein.

lpr

Thank you for your reply. Yes, it is mucus, I forgot to mention that. However, I am not allergic to dairy products. For the last 2 months I have not used milk. I am using soy milk. I think that does not cause mucus but could be wrong. The doctor told me soy was ok. When the mucus builds I cannot get rid of it immediately. Sometimes I have to wait a day or two in order to blow it out. This is the most frustrating thing ever. I feel I have no life. I thought I had tinnitus because of the hissing but am now not sure. I also have hyperacusis which is a collapsed tolerance to sound and cannot stand noise. I'm beginning to think this is all connected to the acid reflux. Thank you for any help that any one can give me.

Hi Doctormom,

If stomach acid gets into the eustacian tubes that are supposed to drain the middle ear, it can cause scar tissue to form and block the drainage, leading to the throat. Babies who are put to bed with a bottle of milk and are not burped can be
    more susceptible to ear infections because the milk can get into the tube and turn sour causing
    an infection.
    An ear infection is like arthritis of the bones that convey sound and left untreated, can impair
    the hearing. Antibiotics are needed for this.

Has a doc looked into your ear to rule out a fluid
    buildup behind the eardrum?

Take care..
    The Pard

I have been to 20 doctors. This is not an exaggeration. I have been trying to get to the bottom of some ear problems for 15 months. It was only 2 months ago with doctor number 20 than I was diagnosed with LPR. I have no infections. I have tinnitus and hyperacusis and visited all 19 doctors to get a handle on that situation. It could be that LPR is causing the other problems but since I cannot take any of the meds. I am having a hard time fixing it. I took prevacid 15 mg. once a day and got sick from it. In addition to which, doctors do not return calls where I live. Thank you for your help. I probably will receive better help and information here than with any doctor. I don't know why everything is turning to mucus. I have watched my diet very carefully and I am very thin.

Hi Doctormom,

There is a possibility of your trouble with sound being due to nerve damage. Sometimes a concusion
    or a less forceful blow to the head can cause
    trouble. Exposure to loud noise can sometimes be the start to tinnitus. Are you using a noise machine to mask the sound when trying to sleep?

Have you had an MRI to rule out a tumor or other
    growth pressing on the hearing nerve?
    Neurontin or Tegretol can sometimes lessen the
    sensitivity to sound. It may give you some relief
    while you keep looking.
    Xanax is also able to reduce tinnitus.
    When I was a child I can remeber having an ear that hurt like a toothache when sound was received. It was an infection.
    If you have never had a blood test for mycoplasma, ureaplasma and chlamydia it could be helpful. (especially if other symptoms are present and other tests for infection are negative.)

Since you are thin, vitamin defficiency must be
    considered and ruled out.

If you have no other signs of nerve damage like
    tingling, burning or itching of the extremities, vision changes, fibromyalgia etc. then it is less likely to be a systemic problem like Lyme disease. If it is worsening with time, then you may need to rule out this less likely cause.
    A neurologist is a better choice than an MD.

Here is a link which shows how little is really known about treating the hyperacusis. [url]http://www.tinnitus-hyperacusis.com/About/Hyperacusis/hyperacusis.html[/url]

I wish you luck...
    The Pard

Thank you so much for all the helpful information. As I have been to 20 doctors, everything you have mentioned has been addressed. I had MRI's, etc. I have never had a blow to the head or been exposed to loud noise. I am very aware of the tinnitus and hyperacusis support boards. Thank you very much for mentioning them. I have had all kinds of allergy testing, mold testing and you name it. I sincerely think it is coming from my stomach. I have not had endoscopy but have and videostrobeoscopy. That is when the discovery was made. Every doctor I went to gave me a different answer. Tubes, sinus surgery, turbinate surgery, etc. None of these made sense to me. Nobody could agree. These were the top doctros in my area in their field. I have not sought the help of a GI person yet. I do believe that LPR is the main problem. When the videostrobeoscopy was performed, the doctor could see the mucus. However, getting him to return my call is impossible. I feel very scared that something very serious is going on. Thank you

maybe you can find out whether it's LPR,
    when you make a diary of what and when you
    eat/drink and when you have ear-problems.
    Also, when you feel bloated and burp, that
    could increase LPR-risk , I think.

I feel there is a connection. Usually, about 3 or 4 hours after I eat, I can actually feel things backing up. I start to get a sour taste in my mouth, my nose gets congested and my ears start to crackle. I am extremely careful with diet, with regard to eliminating those reflux culprits. I feel since I have not addressed this with proper meds, etc. it is just getting worse. I feel it is stress related. I am high anxiety and stress easily. This all happened about 2 months after Sept 11. I feel there is a connection. I just need a doctor who can spend more than 15 minutes and listen to my history. Thank you everyone. Is there some way to rid yourself of this without taking the PPI's. Is there anything holistic that can help. Has anyone tried acupuncture?

[B]I feel there is a connection. Usually, about 3 or 4 hours after I eat, I can actually feel things backing up. I start to get a sour taste in my mouth, my nose gets congested and my ears start to crackle. I am extremely careful with diet, with regard to eliminating those reflux culprits. I feel since I have not addressed this with proper meds, etc. it is just getting worse. I feel it is stress related. I am high anxiety and stress easily. This all happened about 2 months after Sept 11. I feel there is a connection. I just need a doctor who can spend more than 15 minutes and listen to my history. Thank you everyone. Is there some way to rid yourself of this without taking the PPI's. Is there anything holistic that can help. Has anyone tried acupuncture? [/B]
    It is most likely from your LPR, no doubt about it. My FIRST symptom after I noticed my stomach bloating was ringing in my ears which coincides with each heartbeat. Went to the doc, he checked my ears and said they looked fine. Gave me the dumb look. Idiot.

If you are cannot take PPI's then have you tried H2's? You can buy OTC zantac (ranitidine) and take a couple of them 3-4X's a day and see if that helps any. Other than these, surgery is likely your best option. Good luck

Yes, I have tried otc zantac 75 mg. and I got sick. I have had this problem with meds my whole life. I have been thinking about cutting it in half and seeing how that works, although, at that dose, I don't know if I would benefit. I would like to know more about the surgery. How it is done, does it have a lasting affect? I don't like the idea of surgery one bit but I can't stand all these symptoms either. I am overwhelmed by the positive responses that I keep getting. Thank you everyone, so much. This seems like such a caring community of people.

[B]Yes, I have tried otc zantac 75 mg. and I got sick. I have had this problem with meds my whole life. I have been thinking about cutting it in half and seeing how that works, although, at that dose, I don't know if I would benefit. I would like to know more about the surgery. How it is done, does it have a lasting affect? I don't like the idea of surgery one bit but I can't stand all these symptoms either. I am overwhelmed by the positive responses that I keep getting. Thank you everyone, so much. This seems like such a caring community of people. [/B]
    If you have had a double-probe pH test to confirm the LPR, then I would have surgery if I was in your shoes. If you have not had the PH test, then you should have it, in order to confirm concretely the problem. Your doc would benefit from the numbers.

But, if I was in your shoes and I could not take any meds, then I'd be running to the scalpel. Even if the surgery fails a few years down the road, you CAN have it re-done.

Good luck!

Thank you for telling me about the PH test. That is something I have not had done yet, only the videostrobeoscopy. Can you tell me more about it and how concrete is the information they receive from it? Would a endoscopy be necessary from a GI doctor? I am a baby when it come to anything where I need anesthesia. I assume the PH test is not difficult. Thank you for your help. For some reason, the ENT's where I live are so highly specialized that one only sees the ears and another only the nose, etc. If you go to an ENT and his specialty is ears, he doesn't know what to do about your nose. It is unbelievable.

Hi Doctormom,

I agree with you that the LPR is the main cause of the ear troubles. Acid does not belong in the ear or the sinuses. Even the fumes can cause trouble.

Before you jump into something like a serious surgery, at least have a blood test for Helicobacter Pylori and a breath test for the Urea
    that is given off. Since you have burping and bloating, and are limited in the meds you can take, it might be worthwhile taking the triple
    therapy for HP because there is a 20% chance of being infected even after negative test results.
    [url]http://www.drmirkin.com/archive/7128.html[/url]

What were the circumstances under which this all began?

It is hard to believe that you can not tolerate the meds that are able to settle the acid production.
    Which ones have you tried? There has to be something that you can take.

Good luck in your decision..
    The Pard

there are many different meds to reduce stomach acidity,
    often people who can't tolereate some of them can tolerate
    another one.

you should find a description of the PH test from a
    link from hbh main page, I think.
    I also saw a curve PH/time which typically showed reflux some hours
    after eating even in healthy people.

The fundo surgery corrects the LES, but in your case (LPR) the UES
    could be the bigger problem.
    PH-double-probe or manometry could measure this.

doctors are more qualified than yourself in general, but you
    have more time for yourself and can specialize on your problem !
    So do your own research in internet, google,pubmed/medline,etc.
    finding the right keywords, that's the important thing in
    internet-search

+ Reply to Thread