+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dr. What can be done for esophageal spasms?

Dr. What can be done for esophageal spasms?

I've had the fundo and globus for almost 19 months now, however, I'm finally beginning to see some improvement with the globus, not much, but some is better than none. I just have spasms that won't allow my thoat to relax, help :0

Re: Dr. What can be done for esophageal spasms?

[i]Originally posted by Robinbird [/i]
    [B]I've had the fundo and globus for almost 19 months now, however, I'm finally beginning to see some improvement with the globus, not much, but some is better than none. I just have spasms that won't allow my thoat to relax, help :0 [/B]
    Hi Robinbird. Don't know if you have been reading any of my posts or not. I too suffered for a long time now with those darn spasms. Finally went to a GI who reviewed all my tests and scopes I had done up to now and started me on calcium channel blockers. I will admit, they didn't work for me as I tried them for over a month with no results. We're each different right? Next he went to nitrglycerine spray which really helped the intense spasms. Like everyone warned me though, you do have to watch your blood pressure on both these meds. I also was still having them to a degree, so i was started on a drug called buscopan (belladona in US) which is a Anticholinergics/Antispasmodics drug, a tranquilizer. That really helped me the most. Just today I had another endoscope with my GI where he dilated my wrap as it was way too tight. You see, I found out for me that I didn't really need a fundo as my main problem was a motility disorder so my full fundo just added to the spasms. Sounds like a lot but try your doc about some of the meds I mentioned. Different strokes for different folks they say. Hope you find the answers you need. Sorry you are still suffering from them. Take care
    Jerry

Re: Dr. What can be done for esophageal spasms?

[i]Originally posted by Robinbird [/i]
    [B]I've had the fundo and globus for almost 19 months now, however, I'm finally beginning to see some improvement with the globus, not much, but some is better than none. I just have spasms that won't allow my thoat to relax, help :0 [/B]
    Forgot to mention I'm not a dr. as you know lol. He also was prepared to do botox injections today during the endoscope but I refused them. I did a lot of research on them and just didn't sound right for me. However, it is another option. A lot of info to throw at you, but we all eventually find that one thing that works for us.
    Here's hoping I am on the mend also. will keep posting to let everyone know.
    Jerry

Jerry....funny you should mention...

the calcium channel blockers....I too was given Norvasc for my spasms about a year ago, took them with no affect...also tried the belladonna a year ago, but nothing. I did, out of the blue try my Norvasc last evening, and guess what, it helped :-0

I couldn't believe it...so it looks like that's the ticket for me at this time...also, with regard to the botox, I had the injections a year ago, at the Mayo clinic in Jacksonville, Fla...I'm in Tampa....they did nothing!

Sorry, but hope this helps a bit...thanks again for responding, I really appreciate it!

Birdie

Robinbird

Hi Robinbird. I think we all find out that regarding meds, it seems to be trial and error. At least that suits me anyway. I know you've been dealing with this for some time now, but has anyone mentioned that with some people suffering from esophageal spasms, that cold fluids and food can exasperate them. I'm sure you're aware of this but thought I'd bring it up anyway. I know with mine, cold stuff made them a lot worse and intense. Again, good luck. I can say I know what you're going through.
    Jerry

boy, don't I know it!!!!!

I have had this issue for who knows how long; however, I have found that when I eat, it does make it worse...so I'm trying to stay away from food for the whole day, then I eat around 7:00 at night, then I try to calm myself down for the rest of the evening, munching to stave off the throat pain. The spasms are causing my throat to clench up (globus), so I just try to deal with it, knowing that this too is working for my good. I count on the Man Upstairs to continue to remind me that this isn't forever!

Thanks again...and yes, I'm living off of soup and warm water with lemon in it.

I'll keep you in my prayers, because I realize how disturbing and distracting this can be

Robinbird

+ Reply to Thread