+ Reply to Thread

Thread: swollen glands??

swollen glands??

I was diagnosed about 5 months ago with LPR - it took awhile since my GP didn't think you could have reflux without chest heartburn! This board has been a blessing - this disease is so frustrating! I have the usual symptoms - back of my throat is always soar, scratchy, and I am constantly clearing it. Always feels like there is a lump in my throat. Taking Nexium 2x a day but it hasn't been helping much. My question is, do others find that the glands in their neck are constantly swollen?? When I have a flair up in my throat the glands get very sore too. It seems to contribute to my overall discomfort by putting more pressure on my throat. I can't even wear turtlenecks someday b/c the pressure is too much. It just seems to be the glands on one side, and the pressure goes all the way up to my ear. Any one else experience this??

Regarding swollen glands

I too was diagnosed with LPR about 6 months ago. W/o going into my whole history I was unable to take all the meds (bad side effects) so about a week ago I had Nissen surgery. Everything seems to be going good.

I too had what I would call mild to moderate swollen glands continually. This also spead into my ears creating a "fullness in my ears". Mine even spread into areas around the nose and neck.

I only occasionally saw actual large amounts of swelling in the glands area but they always felt sore. I felt like I just wanted to take a hot wash cloth and wrap it around my neck.

good luck

Erik
    PS I still have the gland issue after the surgery

Re: swollen glands??

[i]Originally posted by alli_b [/i]
    [B]My question is, do others find that the glands in their neck are constantly swollen?? When I have a flair up in my throat the glands get very sore too.... Any one else experience this?? [/B]
    hi alli_b,
    After being diagnosed with GERD I started getting flu like symptoms (achy neck glands/nodes, hoarseness) every few weeks. My GI doc added Nexium 40mg before supper to my already prescribed Pepcid40mg twice a day and the symptoms went away. I was able to get the AM pepcid down to 20mg but if I try and decrease any more I get a scratchy throat/windpipe, hoarseness and occasionally the achy neck again.

I too can relate

Yes, I am experiencing the same symptoms as you have described. My neck has hurt so bad that it pulls all my muscles so tight. My GP thinks I am crazy.......its only on my right side too. And I have salivary glands swollen in my mouth...every time I eat something sweet it starts to ache. Also, another horrible symptom I have is a burning tongue. I had a sinus affection and it made things so bad....I am better now!!!!!! I am on Nexium 2x a day and it is helping.....Good luck to you!!!!I also bought slippery elm lozenges and believe it they work!!!!!!!

Yes, I too had/have swollen glands mainly on the right side of my neck. I had a constant earache. Had these symptoms for almost a year before an ENT discovered acid in my throat. I was shocked - never heard of this. Never had heartburn. My symptoms seem to be somewhat under control since taking nexium every day. I still have some throat problems. I feel an icey/hot sensation in my throat when I take a breath. If I could get this taken care of I would feel a lot better. Any suggestions anyone?

you know i felt that warm sensation yesterday for a split sec. i guess its due to reflux. i was drinking water and boom there it was.....hey try drinking ALOT of water. why? well because if i drink lots of water it helps with my burning tongue. give that a try. for a week and see if you see am improvement. are you taking nexium 2x daily? you went awhile untreated so you might have irratation..it takes time to heal. believe me i am there!!!!

re: swollen glands

thanks everyone for the input! I'm glad to know that sore glands are commen to reflux, though I'm not glad any of us have to deal with this. My dr. was totally blowing me off about the glands and it turns out for me they are more bothersome than the reflux itself. I can deal with the soar throat, hoarse voice, phlegm, etc., but when I feel pain on the outside of my next too its just too much. sometimes I think the pain in my neck glands and the pressure in my ears is causing headaches too. When I have the other symptoms I sometimes get weird headaches - just on the right side - that move around. Its like a nerve is being pinched or something.

I keep hearing about slippery elm, maybe I should try it.

trust me slippery elm has helped me and it was under $2. get the cherry kind. good luck to you and your not crazy. my doc blows me off saying i have all these strange symptoms. they want there work easy for them. half of the doc dont even know what lpr is. we have to educate them. good luck!!!! i am glad you got diagnosed properly!!!!! i didnt...i was told i had gerd and i had no heartburn. i had to research it for myself.....so irratating!

Along with my sore throat , I feel my glands are aching as well. I keep checking them to see if they are swollen, but they don't seem to be, they just feel like they should be. I also get sharp shooting pains as well under my chin that seem at times to be more painful than the sore throat. I have felt pain up into my right ear and even between my lower middle teeth. I am speculating the irritation in the larynx has also irritated nerves. The pain does lessen when the throat does not seem so bad. I have put ice under my chin as well as heat and both seem to help.

The onset of my LPR was raw. scratchy throat pain. I described it like the pain I might feel if I had been running hard outside in cold air. It seemed to coincide with when we had the heat on in the house for the first time. At first I thought that it was just the dryness. HAH!

I have been on 2 nexium now for 2 weeks (1x for a month before)and have noticed some improvement, but some days it seems to be no better. I think I have noticed some reflux, but can't seem to tell if it is acid reflux meaning the nexium is not working. I would think any type of reflux would still irritate the esophogus and throat. I am to stay on it for three months.

Betsy

Betsy,
    If the doc takes you off your nexium be careful......LPR might come back full force with new symptoms. That happpened to me. It was horrible!!!!!!!The one thing I am learning is to drink lots of water...I notice a big difference if I dont. All the symptoms come back. Good luck!!!

I don't seem to get the swollen glands, but I do get soreness in the neck and ears. My LPR seems to have reared its ugly head in the past week, and I'm not very happy about it, especially when I thought I had it all under control.

I must try the slippery elm lozenges if I can find them...maybe they will help. I am feeling quite depressed about the return of my symptoms, and all I can put it down to is stress. Maybe more exercise will help.

Stacybrevin

[i]Originally posted by stacybrevin [/i]
    [B]trust me slippery elm has helped me and it was under $2. get the cherry kind. [/B]
    Is this slippery elm something you get at any drug store or natural food places? I have been getting the hoarse voice, constant nasal drip, and a dull, aching pain around my right ear and behind it. I don't know what it could be. I am trying to get my GI to do a 24 hr PH study as I couldn't get one in (chickened out) pre fundo. Then again my GI said the endoscopes all showed no reflux, but a motility disorder. Go figure. Big guessing game.

slippery elm

I just ordered slippery elm from Thayers. I believe it's Thayers.com. I just received it yesterday so I can't say if its working or not. I did get the cherry kind and it doesn't taste bad. It was not cheap but sounds like it is of good quality.

Re: slippery elm

[i]Originally posted by Jthompson [/i]
    [B]I just ordered slippery elm from Thayers. I believe it's Thayers.com. I just received it yesterday so I can't say if its working or not. I did get the cherry kind and it doesn't taste bad. It was not cheap but sounds like it is of good quality. [/B]
    Thanks for the info. I am from Canada so, I'll do some searching here on the net too.
    Take care
    Jerry

I got mine at the health food store. 24 of them for under $2.
    I just bought 150 of them or under $8. I do see an improvement!!!!

+ Reply to Thread