+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Burning Tongue

Burning Tongue

Hi,

Just wondered -- is a almost-constant burning tongue a sign of LPR? I'm sure the answer to that is "yes" -- but I am baffled that sometimes, when I eat something, I feel an immediate burning in my tongue -- nowhere else, just my tongue. Other times, I burn in my esophagus and my tongue.

Thanks,

Kate

LPR can definitely cause an irritated tongue. When you feel the burning immediately right after you eat it may be due to the contents or texure of the food irritating an already compromised area. It happens to me also and I just attribute it to possible irritants in the food like spices, acids, etc or the roughness of the food scraping against my tongue.

I have a burning tongue also

I have a constant burning tongue also. Its called burning mouth syndrome. The only relief I get is to stop thinking about it and chew sugarless gum. If your interested about it go to go4hope.org its a messageboard that I just found it. I get so so so so so so so so mad and frustrated...but it could be worse.

torn throat and tongue

Hi Guys! How are you? I hope you have had some good days like me.

I had about 5 good days this time, then it turned to ____
    yesterday.

I think it started when I over ate slightly, then ate 2 strawberries.. now I am in such pain.

I have a very painful small bump in the middle of the back of my tongue and it hurts all over..

The tongue is hot, red, swollen and bumpy like a cats tongue.
    I have that real deep ridge down the middle.

It also feels like the right side of my throat it torn or ripped..

Cant sleep for the burning pain.

This all happened after I ate some strawberries. I over ate a tad that morning too,, so reflux may be part of this,,'

I was wondering how long this epesode will take to heal up.
    ANy ideas?

Such pain,, it even hurts on the right when I swallow now.

I can feel the "pouch" in the back of my throat and it is raw and has a cut - like red streak.. like a tear.. How could this happen?
    Everything is irritating it,, all food and water, aloe, all of it, even honey burns.

I am on 2 nexium per day. It helped alot... Ive had many good days in the last 3 weeks, but now back in misery.

Thanks.

Ellie

Burning tongue

Hi,

I had a burning tongue for several years. It was red, bumpy, had an open fissure down the middle. Doctors were no help.

I stopped eating sugar almost totally and it has been gone for over a year. If I eat more than the sugar contained in breads, etc. it comes right back. Acid foods really burn it but don't seem to originally cause it. Tomatoes and strawberries are the worst.

The good news is that after a week or so I didn't miss the sugar. That was an eye opener.

Best,
    Susan

thanks

Suz

thanks so much..
    I'll be darned.

Well, I guess that is the plan.

Can you handle original flavored ( not vililla with sugar )
    yougart and or almond or soy milk?

Have you tried the low carb Keto products?

The problem with some of the low carb stuff, it has alot of wheat gluten in it and Im wary to try that.

In all this mess, I suspect wheat is not good for me , so I now eat spelt bread and I love it.

I can eat french toast with the spelt bread and it is good.....

WHat about fruits?

Also, my burning tongue seems to be connected to my burning espoagus and throat. Is it with you?

Ellie...could you be allergic to strawberries? It is possible that people get allergic reaction the minute food touches there mouth. My friend cant touch a peanut or he could die or any food that has touched a peanut. That might be a thought.

Suz, how long did it take for your sugar free diet take for your tongue to stop burning? I tried it for a week but it is so hard to cut the sugar out. thanks for your answer!!

throat

stacy

Is your throat burning too, or just your tongue?

Burning tongue

Well, for me it took about two weeks as I recall. I couldn't really believe it so I'd try bits of sugar but now I know without a doubt it is my tongue's arch enemy. That said, when I don't eat it for a long time I can have a piece of birthday cake at a party and have no consequences as long as I don't have any more for several weeks.

Since I haven't eaten sugar for a long time and my throat is burning I suspect the GERD is causing the throat problem. I can feel it sometimes at night sneaking up my esophagus. I now have to decide weather it's time to stop drinking the tiny bit of wine I enjoy with lots of water. That's harder for me than sugar. Especially when my Doctor encourages one glass in the evening. I have post nasal drip, too, so it's hard to know the cause. I have a wholistic approach to things and enjoy finding things that are interconnected.

I bought a book on Heartburn and it suggests finding about Candida and H. Pylori. I decided to try the Candida diet...no wheat, fruit, milk products, sweets, alcohol for three months. I made it three weeks. But I noticed a total improvement in the intestinal gas I was blaming on the PPI.

I try not to eat out of health food stores. I grow veggies, eat chicken, fish, have chickens for eggs, rye crackers with almond butter (my favorite), grains, normalish food. Luckily my husband prefers eating that way. I eat at 5:30 so there's no food in my stomach when I go to bed.

Whew! I got a bit carried away. Best of luck with your tongues!!!
    Suz

Re: Burning tongue

I bought a book on Heartburn and it suggests finding about Candida and H. Pylori. I decided to try the Candida diet...no wheat, fruit, milk products, sweets, alcohol for three months. I made it three weeks. But I noticed a total improvement in the intestinal gas I was blaming on the PPI.

So, in these 3 weeks, did your GERD ( sore throat and esopagus ) get better?

I try not to eat out of health food stores. I grow veggies, eat chicken, fish, have chickens for eggs, rye crackers with almond butter (my favorite), grains, normalish food. Luckily my husband prefers eating that way. I eat at 5:30 so there's no food in my stomach when I go to bed.

God, if I dont eat fruit or dairy, what the heck do we eat? I cant eat protien all the time of it upsets my stomach too much.
    Fruit agrees with the stomach, but has too much sugar..
    As far as I can tell, cottage cheese, yougart and kefir agree with me, even though they are dairy.
    Plus I take a powerful pro biotic each day to get rid of any candida.

Keep giving us info,, it is helping.

burning tongue

Hi Ellie,

After three weeks on the Candida diet my heartburn was stable. I was taking one Protonix a day and a few Tums at the night if I woke up and could feel my throat. I don't know if the Candida diet helped the GERD or if it was just a calm phase for it. It certainly didn't hurt.

I'm thinking that I need to do two things, 1. Make sure to accept my life as it is...no worries. I know that stress makes it worse. 2. Continue to develop a simple nutritious diet that doesn't include any stressors and is limited so I don't have to be preoccupied with what to buy and cook. Green, yellow and red veggies (not peppers or tomatos), bananas, mangos, and apples (they're not acidic), cottage cheese, maybe plain yogourt, chicken, fish, potatos, and of course almond butter and rye crackers. Those things work for me, yours may be different. I avoid wheat but brown rice and quinoa are great. I've noticed that I love the flavors of things I used to take for granted. In most cultures they don't have any where near the variety we have. I don't think it's necessary. Water and teas (licorice and green work for me).

I'm now going to try to keep a diary, testing 1 new food every 3 or 4 days. Record keeping is a must since it not only shows you patterns of what works, it gives you something positive to eleviate worry. I want to gain knowlege.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Susan

Ellie,
    My tongue is usually burning...my throat sometimes....I had a good day with my tongue yesterday....I dont know why..I ate all the wrong foods. I went to the chiropractor a few days ago...maybe that helped. I just find it odd that when I move my neck my tongue can burn worse. Almost as if it is related to my neck or something. I started taking multi vitamins to see if I have a vit B defiency. Well see...its trial and error. It makes us think it is gerd related...but it may and may not be. I am going to go to a md that specializes in all of this and hopefully she can help me out. It drives me crazy!!!!!

cut in throat?

stacy

Glad you had a good day..

My tongue is hot and swollen every since the strawbrerrys.

Also , I can stick the tip of my tongue in the pocket.. behind the back teeth, and I cant literally feel a raw " sliced" area, like a cut. I know this is true becuase I have some oral peroxide and I put some on a q tip and stuck it back there and it stings like heck.

THis 'cut " feeling extends all the way down the back of the throat on the right hand side again.
    THis is the worst it has ever been.. Scary.

It hurts when I swallow now too.

I just dont know how this happened.

I think maybe the fennel tea gave me too much acid.. I will stick to chamamile from now on.

I also have an extremely enflamed taste bud in the back of the tongue that hurts all the time. Ive had this before and it hurts like the devil for about 4 days., radiating all over the mouth.

My dentist said this can be caused from a food re action , so Ill bet it was the strawberries OR the fennel tea I drank 2 days ago.

Have you had this cut feeling?

I cant really say that I have a cut feeling but the roof of my mouth hurts bad too sometimes. my main problems is my tongue swollen with teeth marks and burning. I dont feel a cut now....but who knows I might. Research on the net about allergic reactions to strawberries on google. You might find your answer. I wouldnt be suprised if you were allergic to them...

stacybrevin

Hi Stacy,

That's the first time I've heard mention of tooth marks on your tongue. When my tongue was burning the edges of the tongue were swollen in the shape of the teeth they were up against. It was like lots of canker sores. I found that, like you, chewing sugarless gum helped. I think the saliva washed the sugar away as it turned out to be the cause. Also, brushing my tongue twice a day with my toothbrush helped, probably for the same reason.

Giving up sugar seemed impossible until one day when I got scared and thought of the consequences of having a non working tongue or worse. Then it was easy. That may not be your problem, I don't want to sound like I know what's going on with you, I'm just really aware of how hard lifestyle changes seem.

Best, Suz

+ Reply to Thread