+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Endoscopy side effects

Endoscopy side effects

Hi, I orginally underwent an endoscopy to find out why I was anemic. During the proceedure the doctor found that I had Barretts and asked if I had heartburn oftern. My husband told him that I had it rarely. Since coming home from the proceedure (Sept) I have had constant heartburn almost everynight. More or so lately every night. He did put me on Nexium 40mg a day and I have been taking it. How ever, even after eating very light meals about 6pm and going to be about 10 - 11 pm, I find that I still have extreamly painfull heartburn. It has been getting worse steadily.

My question is this...how can someone who can't even remember having heartburn at all before the endoscopy all of the sudden ends up with Barretts and has my problem. I'm wondering if during the proceedure a mistake was made and some damage was done and this is what I'm suffering from. Am I wrong or what? I see the same GI doctor on the 20th and I'm really upset about the whole situation. So any information would be very helpful. sorry this is so long..

Here is another great discussion board tailored specifically for people who have Barrett's:

[url]http://pathology.jhu.edu/beweb_chat/[/url]

You can find a bunch of useful information about it there as well.

Another site which you may or may not have found by now is [url]www.barrettsinfo.com[/url] and contains the following statement which may answer your question (under "Who gets Barrett's esophagus and could I have it?"):

"Even if you do not have typical heartburn or GERD symptoms, you may be at risk for Barrett's esophagus. As many as 40% of patients who are diagnosed with esophageal adenocarcinoma deny ever having typical symptoms of heartburn such as burning chest pain or regurgitation of acid. You can also have Barrett's esophagus even if your heartburn symptoms get better on medication or if you had bad heartburn in the past but none in recent years"

I can't answer why you suddenly have heartburn now. Be sure to find out all the information you can about Barrett's, knowledge is power. Also, if you haven't already, you may want a copy of your biopsy report and make sure your doc explains every detail about what he found.

You shouldn't worry too much about Barrett's though, only a small percentage of people develop esophageal adenocarcinoma.

I hope this helps.

Hi gigiswan,

I'm going to put in my two cents, for what it's worth. It seems odd to me that before the endoscope you "rarely" experienced heartburn and that after the endoscope you experienced severe, daily heartburn. (By the way, why did your husband answer the question for you? Didn't YOU know if you ever had heartburn in the past??)

Anyways, the day my doctor told me my chest pressure was heartburn I started getting heartburn -- the regurgitation, the lump in the throat, the burning, the whole bit. Funny thing is, it was at that point that I started reading up on GERD on the Internet, and I suddenly developed every single symptom I read about. It was also at this time that I was extremely anxious, worried, frightful and in psychological Hell. I think him telling me I had heartburn brought on heartburn symptoms. I think there is a psychological component for sure. It has been four months since that day and I am doing much better now, mainly because my anxiety has calmed down significantly. The chest pressure remains, but the lump, regurgitation and burning are gone and I'm not on any PPIs or H2 blockers.

Could yours be psychologically related as well?

[i]Originally posted by NancyK. [/i]
    [B] It has been four months since that day and I am doing much better now, mainly because my anxiety has calmed down significantly. The chest pressure remains, but the lump, regurgitation and burning are gone and I'm not on any PPIs or H2 blockers.
    [/B]
    Hi Nancy,

I was wondering, now that you've been on the Celexa for a couple weeks do you think that's had any effect at all on making your GERD better? Thanks, Rebecca

not yet, but the doctor said it takes at least a month for the Celexa to kick in. I have my first shrink appointment on Tuesday. All my doctors think my "GERD" is psychologically related. My mood is tremendously better, however. In part due to the Celexa -- but just in part.

Thanks Nancy, I think there's a big psychological component with me too. It doesn't mean the GERD isn't real, just that the driving force behind it is from the "brain-gut" connection instead of from something else (like a deficient LES or Hiatal Hernia or something like that). Either way, this just sucks and I hope we both feel normal again soon. --Rebecca

gigi I think this will answer your question

A quote from barrettsinfo.com

"No one knows why Barrett’s esophagus develops in response to acid injury to the esophagus. Barrett’s esophagus produces mucous like normal stomach lining and therefore may resist acid injury better than the normal squamous lining of the esophagus. It may be the body’s attempt to protect the esophagus against continued injury by chronic GERD. In fact, some people who have Barrett’s esophagus report a past history of heartburn but none in recent years. This has led some researchers to believe that the development of Barrett’s esophagus may relieve GERD (heartburn) symptoms in some people."

Don't apologize for writing too long. You have every right to be angry and sad and we all come to this board to support one another....especially the chics

Tom to Gigi

[i]Originally posted by gigiswan [/i]
    [B]Hi, I orginally underwent an endoscopy to find out why I was anemic. During the proceedure the doctor found that I had Barretts and asked if I had heartburn oftern. My husband told him that I had it rarely. Since coming home from the proceedure (Sept) I have had constant heartburn almost everynight. More or so lately every night. He did put me on Nexium 40mg a day and I have been taking it. How ever, even after eating very light meals about 6pm and going to be about 10 - 11 pm, I find that I still have extreamly painfull heartburn. It has been getting worse steadily.

My question is this...how can someone who can't even remember having heartburn at all before the endoscopy all of the sudden ends up with Barretts and has my problem. I'm wondering if during the proceedure a mistake was made and some damage was done and this is what I'm suffering from. Am I wrong or what? I see the same GI doctor on the 20th and I'm really upset about the whole situation. So any information would be very helpful. sorry this is so long.. [/B]
    Hi Gigi,

Has the GI looked into the possibility of Delayed Gastric Emptying??? I think 5 hours is definitely not normal (Eat at 6pm and Heartburn at 10-11pm)!! A person's stomach will normally clear in about 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

You might try a Zantac before bedtime in addition to the Nexium, since the Nexium starts to Peter Out at about 12 - 15 hours instead of the 24 that was once believed.

There is a posibility that the Scope caused some extra irritation to your Esophagus, the Vagus Nerve, or the LES. However, if this has been going on for 6 MONTHS, there is something else going on in there!!!

You are doing all of the Good GERDy things: i.e. Watching your Trigger foods, Raising the Head of the bed, loosing weight, Exercising (Nothing that puts pressure on the Abdominals!!!), Cutting down on and/or avoiding stressful situations, etc. RIGHT??

Hang in there Gigi!! You are not alone!! Keep us posted!!

Prayers,

Tom

heartburn

I,ve had heartburn for many years .But about a year ago the doctor prescribed me lansoprazole .I take this once every two days.I now can eat what I like ,When I like (even cucumber).Any form of exercise is no problem.I live in England .so this medication may have a different name where you live. All the best :Andy.

Lansoprazole is Prevacid in the USA

Re: Endoscopy side effects

[i]Originally posted by gigiswan [/i]
    [B]Hi, I orginally underwent an endoscopy to find out why I was anemic. During the proceedure the doctor found that I had Barretts and asked if I had heartburn oftern. My husband told him that I had it rarely. Since coming home from the proceedure (Sept) I have had constant heartburn almost everynight. More or so lately every night. He did put me on Nexium 40mg a day and I have been taking it. How ever, even after eating very light meals about 6pm and going to be about 10 - 11 pm, I find that I still have extreamly painfull heartburn. It has been getting worse steadily.

My question is this...how can someone who can't even remember having heartburn at all before the endoscopy all of the sudden ends up with Barretts and has my problem. I'm wondering if during the proceedure a mistake was made and some damage was done and this is what I'm suffering from. Am I wrong or what? I see the same GI doctor on the 20th and I'm really upset about the whole situation. So any information would be very helpful. sorry this is so long.. [/B]
    My take (based on my own experiences)

What the GI does not tell you is that he biopsied your esophagus to get that Barrett's diagnosis AND sometimes that leaves pain until the place(s) he snipped those biopsies from heal over. I wish to heck there were a few honest GI's out there that would own up to this. I had the same thing. It gets better, hang in there!
    It might take a month or so for this to calm down.

barretts

I had the exact same thing happen to me as did someone else I know. we both have Barretts which was discovered during endoscopy. Neither of us had noticable symptoms before but miserable for months afterwards. Hers has gotten much better. She is on Nexium and it does take a while but that still does not explain why it was worse after. Nothing explains it and I know it is true as do my friends who have witnessed my distress since then. My Doctor when I questioned him about the biopsy areas not healing told me that you can go in a weeek later and not even see where the biopsies were taken so maybe he was not telling me the truth. I took Nexium for months before because I had a lot of gas, not reflux. He pit me on Protonix and I felt awful after 6 weeks and started to itch. Went back on Nexium and started to feel better and then WHAM suddenly the Nexium is making very nauseated. Terrible so now I am stuck with Barretts and no PPI to use. Am using Tagamet 200mg twice a day before meals and starting to feel better but still have burping, and burning. I just don't get it and my Doctor has decided I am a head case, I think. I am going to have another enod in a month I think if I cannot get back to using Nexium. May try Prevacid but it is close to Protonix in chemical.

Re: barretts

[i]Originally posted by Canyonbabe711 [/i]
    [B]I am going to have another enod in a month I think if I cannot get back to using Nexium. May try Prevacid but it is close to Protonix in chemical. [/B]
    Over the course of five years I have tried most of the PPI's in an effort to find one that my insurance would pay for and would work well for me. I tried each one for a few weeks and discovered that only Prilosec worked real well. I just finished trying the generic Prilosec and seemed to have gastritis which I did not on regular Prilosec. I switched back to regular and started feeling better right away. I am going to attempt the generic again because the insurance will cover most of the cost.

I have also talk to many people over the years and heard this same story, a particular PPI worked better for them when others did not.

So try them all.

gastritis

A recent research study confirms what was said about the acid reducers causing good bacteria to overflourish and causing gastritis. This was only done on mice without the h. pylori (ulcer) bacteria. It was found that an antibiotic was necessary to clear up the gastritis and worked even when the PPI's were continued. Anyone with more problems on the PPI's might want to discuss this with their doctor. It was done at the University of Michigan and the Howard Huges Institute by a Dr. Marchand.

Re: barretts

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Canyonbabe711 [/i]
    [B]I had the exact same thing happen to me as did someone else I know. we both have Barretts which was discovered during endoscopy. Neither of us had noticable symptoms before but miserable for months afterwards. Hers has gotten much better. She is on Nexium and it does take a while but that still does not explain why it was worse after.

I think the reason it was worse after the endoscopy is the fact that you were both diagnosed with barretts.....you were problibly told that this could be a pre-cancer condition. This starts to play on your mind. The word cancer, and having a condition that you don't understand can cause you to worry about your condition more than if you would have come out of the endoscopy with a clean report. An anti-anxiety med may have a place in this instance.

+ Reply to Thread