+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sore,Swollen Throat(7 weeks)

Sore,Swollen Throat(7 weeks)

Please help!I am new to the board! I have a swollen ,sore throat. The doctor have said acid reflux! I'm not convinced! I have been on prilosec for three weeks with no change.It does get a little better some days but was doing that before prilosec. I was sick with a virus before this. How can it be acid reflux if it was brought on by a virus to start with? Has anyone else had this? What can I do to get the doc to look into something else and any sugestions as to what the else might be! Also what can I take for the swelling. I have tried claritin but after a few days it seems to make worse. Also IB prophen which helps but is one of the no no's if you have acid refux. My symptoms are acute! I am not functioning well. I can't eat much and have lost 25 lb in past 7 weeks(When all this started.) I read in my research on the net,that this condition, if caused by acid reflux can be cured by not eating for 3 to 4 days. Has any one tried this!Is it worth a try! I hope I am on the correct board. If not please redirect me to the correct one. Please respond , I feel desperate! Avilon

Re:Swollen Throat

Hi ,
    I get the sore throat from acid reflux too...i have it right now actually. And yes my throat is swollen too but on one side. I do not have a cold or any type of infection.
    I am on zantac and it has not gone away yet. I noticed i get it from time to time when i feel the burning in my stomach and throat more often. The last time i had the sore throat from reflux is about 2-3 months ago...and it went away on it's own i think it took a couple weeks.

Thanks!

Thank for the reply. Does it swell toward the upper back of throat or the side in the front of your throat?Mine is in the back of my throat. How often have you had it? And how did it happen the first time. This is my first time and I hope the last. I keep trying to find out how most peoples started. I had a virus, which then went into this condition! It is a strange thing! I'm still not convinced mine is acid refux! I will pray for your recovery!

Sore Throat - 7 weeks !

Avilon,

My daughter Susan, who also belongs to this group but who has enought to handle right now has had the sore throata problem the same as you. It does sound very similar. The doctors just kept getting pain medications which really weren't helping. She also has some anxiety problems that were problems leading to some acid reflux. I guess the sore throat was caused by that mostly.

However, did want to mention that I suggested to her to try Georges Aloe Vera Juice and or Gel. I know that it really seemed to help me when I had my digestive problems. Well, she tried it and it seems to have helped. She is also taking vitamins and other things but if your throat is terribly sore and will NOT go away I suggest you try it. BE SURE TO GET THE GEORGES THOUGH AS SOME OF THE OTHER STUFF TASTES AWFUL !! I SUGGEST TAKING ABOUT 2 OZ OR SO 3-4 X A DAY. Be sure, if you get the gel NOT to get the topical ( the kind you put on your skin for burns and such !!!) This may take a little while. I forget how long it took for hers to help but it really did .

If you would like to talk to my daughter you might post to HEALTHSUE . I would give you her e-mail address but not sure we are allowed to do that on the site.

Hope this helps !!

Marilyn (Granniluvs8)

sore throat

hi i am new to my name is aaron see my post. i woke up 3 months ago with my adams apple popping when i swallowed. 4 ent's have put me on nexium 40mg in the morning, been on it for over 3 months and my throat has been red and inflammed for all this time on right side, same side my adams apple popped on when swallowing. nexium has helped the popping stop, but after talking at my sales job all day throat is really really sore, feels better on weekends when off. but nothing helping really fast, have had problem with having to clear my throat , feeling of crap in my throat all the time and nexium not helping that.......don't know if that help but kind of having all the same throat problem....let me know what you are doing , and i will let you know what i have done............aaron

Re

aaron , what do they ENT say as to why your throat is still red and sore. 3 months seems a long time to not try something different ! I sympathize with you. Did you have the sore throat at first or has it goten worse while on meds ? It just so happens,that I whent to ENT today. They are trying me on another med. called Rabeprazole sodium. I was just getting ready to ask everyone if they had taken this and if it had worked! I will let you know how it works. May take a couple of weeks. Avilon

Tom to Aaron and Avilon

Hi Aaron,

Welcome to the Board!!

Sorry for what brought You to Us though!!!

It sounds like You may be Suffering from LPR (Laryno-Pharnogeal Reflux)!! The Throat and Vocal Chord area are 100 Times more sensitive to Acid than the Esophagus!!!

Sometimes, LPR Sufferers need a Higher dose of the Meds for it to do the Job!!! I was on 120mg of Prilosec before my Fundo!!! So 40mg might not be enough to do the Job!!! Just Food for thought!!!

Avilon,

Yeah I tried Aciphex...It was WORTHLESS, but that's just me, so You have to try all the PPI's until You can find one that works the best for You with the fewest Side-Effects!!! You've probably read this before, but Finding the Right PPI is sometimes a Crap-Shoot!!!

Best of Luck to the Both of You and Keep Posting!!!

Prayers,

Tom

Re

Tom,Thanks for the info! How bad was your LPR? How has the fundo worked? How long did it take to get a doc to order the fundo? I want to go ahead and have some kind of surgery done because of all that I have seen on this board! But the doc said just today " It's way to early for that" How do you get them to listen!!!!?

Tom to Avilon

Hi Avilon,

BAD!!!!

It got to the point that I was whispering, because it hurt TOO BAD to talk!!!

The Fundo was the BEST Decision I ever made!!! I will celebrate my Second Anniversary in August!!!

Since I live in a town with a Teaching Hospital, I went through about 7 GI's in 14 Years!!! A NEW one every two years or so!!!

Number 7 found that I had Barrett's so that was a BIG Wake-up Call!!!

I had the pre-op tests and met with my General Surgeon (I've seen him SO many times that we are on a First-Name Basis!!! ), and was Scheduled for the Fundo in less than 2 WEEKS!!!

Print out Thistle's Questions to ask Your Surgeon!!! Take them with You to the appt, and if he/she can't or WON'T give You decent answers, cross them off Your "To See" List and Move On!!!

Hang in there!!!

Prayers,

Tom

Re

Mine is that bad too! I have been whispering for weeks! How long were you that way? What meds helped the most before fundo?Did you have periods that you got over it. In the 14 years, how much of the time did you have the LPR really bad?I keep wondering how long before I get past the really Bad!I have kids and it is so hard not to be able to speak with out such pain!You have been the most helpful of anyone so far on this board! Thanks I will take any and all info you can give!Avilon

Tom to Avilon

Quote Originally Posted by Avilon
    Mine is that bad too! I have been whispering for weeks! How long were you that way? What meds helped the most before fundo?Did you have periods that you got over it. In the 14 years, how much of the time did you have the LPR really bad?I keep wondering how long before I get past the really Bad!I have kids and it is so hard not to be able to speak with out such pain!You have been the most helpful of anyone so far on this board! Thanks I will take any and all info you can give!Avilon
    Hi Avilon,

Let's see...hmmm

1. The LPR Symptoms were at their worst for the last 2 Years...2000-2002.

2. Prilosec worked the best for me, along with Gaviscon Chewables. I took the Prilosec in the a.m. and then chewed about 4 or 5 Gaviscons at Bedtime and then chased them down with a full glass of water. That sets up a "Foam Barrier" between the Tummy and the Esophagus!!
    For the times when the Prilosec alone wasn't doing the job, my GI prescribed Zantac Prescription-Strength (300mg) and I took that at Bedtime!!

3. I Sympathize about not being able to talk with/to Your Kids!!! That has got to be Frustrating!!!

4. If You can get an ENT to put in writing that they believe the Throat Symptoms are Reflux related, then take that ammunition to the GI and see if that helps things move a little more Smoothly or QUICKLY!!!

Hang in there Kiddo!!!

Prayers,

Tom

Tom

Thank for your imput. I have heard a lot about Gaviscon. I think I will try it! Although, I have more refux while up and going, so I guess I would take it after meals??? I am feeling a bit better today! The weather here in NC has turned for the better! 80's today! Things always seem a little better when it's warm! Thanks for your prayers! Avilon

Rice

Eat 2 cups in its cooked form of white rice as a finish to your dinner every day and the rice will soak up the acid. Try it, it works for me. I came across this remedy by sheer chance.

+ Reply to Thread