+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Koufman article

Koufman article

I want to thank you Hawk for responding to my message! I looked on Yahoo and did not find it. Please, I have seen reference to an article on many threads by James Koufman where he talks about LPD's being caused by a virus. Please someone tell me where this link is specifically. I have looked and looked ! Thanks Avilon

There is a J.A. Koufman at Wake Forest University Department of Voice Disorders. [url]http://www.thevoicecenter.com/reflux.html[/url]
    He has published many articles on LPR. [url]http://www.thevoicecenter.org/publications.html[/url]

confused

Quote Originally Posted by daw
    There is a J.A. Koufman at Wake Forest University Department of Voice Disorders. [url]http://www.thevoicecenter.com/reflux.html[/url]
    He has published many articles on LPR. [url]http://www.thevoicecenter.org/publications.html[/url]
    Hey Daw, Isn't "he" a she? [url]http://www.wfubmc.edu/ent/Faculty/faculty-koufman.shtml[/url] It appears she wrote those articles , so there must be 2 Koufmans at Wake Forest ? or is he not there anymore ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tricia
    Hey Daw, Isn't "he" a she? It appears she wrote those articles , so there must be 2 Koufmans at Wake Forest ? or is he not there anymore ?
    As far as I know, there is one Koufman at Wake Forest.....she was once a he.
    It's amazing what you can learn at the Wednesday night chats.

hmmmmm

'm confused. Someone on the board went to see a Dr Jamie Koufman at Wake Forest but referred to her as a "he" Husband and wife maybe? brother and sister ? There names are both Dr J A Koufman. They are both associated with Wake Forest but only she appears to be there. , Both went to Boston University and both wrote many accredited LPR articles I'm totally confused on that one. There is one Dr Koufman..... [url]http://www.wfubmc.edu/ent/Faculty/faculty-koufman.shtml[/url], there is the other [url]http://www.wfubmc.edu/prd/k/koufman_james.html[/url]

Avilon Is this what you were looking for? It's the only virus connection thing i could find.

Papilloma are benign epithelial tumors that are caused by infection with the human papilloma virus (HPV). They are the most common benign neoplasms affecting the larynx and upper respiratory tract.

An association between laryngopharyngeal reflux and RRP has recently been observed. It is uncertain whether the irritation caused by refluxed stomach contents contributes to the development of papillomas, or whether the presence of papillomas predisposes one to reflux.

Very preoccupied

Quote Originally Posted by daw
    As far as I know, there is one Koufman at Wake Forest.....she was once a he.

By Kracky i get it . Ok , i'm a little slow today.
    Thanks for pointing that out.

Hmmmm Some sort of modification to the Fundo surgery I was not aware of??

Dr Koufman

The doctor sent this to me

Dear Colleagues, Patients, and Friends Fall/Winter 2003

My name is Dr. Jamie Koufman, and I am Director of the Center for Voice Disorders of Wake Forest University ([url]www.thevoicecenter.org[/url]), and I am also a Professor of Surgery (Otolaryngology) at the Wake Forest University School of Medicine.

Often people form opinions about other people without much information, so please try to keep an open mind as you read this letter. While the information shared is personal, I believe that by providing truthful and detailed information I can help minimize the proliferation of misinformation, half-truths, and rumors. What you are going to read here is unusual, but as you will see, there is a fairly robust scientific and popular literature to support the facts.

As some of you may have noticed, I look different these days. This is because I am transsexual, and I am “in transition.” That is, I am in the process of changing my gender from male to female. I have a medical condition called Gender Identity Disorder, and its most common identified cause is the use of a medicine called diethylstilbesterol (DES) by pregnant women. From 1938 to 1971, 5%-7% of pregnant women received DES. (My mother took DES.) It can cause permanent changes in the developing brain of a baby, and it is believed to be an important cause of transsexualism. For me, being transsexual is not a lifestyle choice; it is what I am.

My transition has been in process for a year and it should be complete in about another year. I have no plans to move from Winston-Salem; I remain committed to providing excellent medical care for patients; and I will continue to care for my patients in an uninterrupted fashion.

During this time of my transsexual transition, I have the support of my family, friends, and almost all of my patients. In addition, the Medical School’s leadership recognizes my medical condition and supports me in this process.

At this time, I am living as a woman full time. By International Standards of Care,6 I must live as a woman for a year before I can have Gender (Sex) Reassignment Surgery. I prefer to be referred to as “she”: however, I am not offended by (“he”) pronoun lapses.

I have prepared a document entitled General Information about Transsexualism that provides more detailed information on this condition. Please let me know if you would like a copy (jkoufman@wfubmc.edu). In addition, I would be willing to answer most questions and discuss my situation, if you like. If you’d prefer to discuss this matter with someone in the Medical School administration, feel free to contact Dr. Sally Shumaker, Associate Dean of Faculty Services at (336) 716-6882 or [email]sshumake@wfubmc.edu[/email].

For me, my transition has taken more courage and determination, and more focus, discipline, and patience than anything I have ever done. We are all God’s children, and I would appreciate your understanding and support. At the same time, I realize that for some individuals my condition and the resulting transition are uncomfortable, and as I ask individuals to respect me during this difficult period, I will do my best to respect those sensitivities in others.

Sincerely,

Jamie Koufman, M.D., F.A.C.S.
    Director, Center for Voice Disorders
    of Wake Forest University
    Professor of Surgery (Otolaryngology)
    Wake Forest University School of Medicine

+ Reply to Thread