+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OTC Zantac vs. presciption strength

OTC Zantac vs. presciption strength

Has anyone noticed a difference between 2 - 75 mG OTC Zantacs and 1-150mG prescription Zantac?

Shouldn't they have the same efficacy?

Thanks

I can't respond to your question, but if I were you I'd check the information on each at the manufactuer's web site. And compare the information on the packaging of the OTC version with whatever you can learn about the Rx version.

zantac

We talked about this zantac substitution thing quite a few months ago. Someone sued over this very issue .

[url]http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bin/getcase.pl?court=7th&navby=case&no=993440[/url]

Man sues makers of Zantac over false information as to whether over the counter zantac can be subsituted for prescription strength -----

Mr. Bober, it seems, devoted considerable effort to trying to find out from Glaxo whether it was safe to substitute two of the 75-mg over-the-counter pills for one of the 150-mg prescription version, saving 67 cents on the larger dose. He called the consumer help number. He surfed the Web site. But all he got were variations on "If your physician has prescribed a medicine, you should not substitute any other medicine for your prescription."

Both drugs are ranitidine, though the FDA authorizes them for different afflictions. Yet it hardly takes a pharmaceutical engineer to figure out that two of this equals one of that.

2 x 75 not equal to 150

Thanks Tricia. The reason I posted the question was because a co-worker told me that she noticed a difference between 2 x 75 OTC rantinidine vs. a 150 prescription pill. She said that about 3 x75 OTC would be needed to equal the efficacy of the 150mg pill. Based on a sample of one, not very good statistically I admit but was hoping to find out if any others out there had experienced similar results.

Thanks for your reply.

I can speak from experience on both the 150 mg Zantac, and also have experienced the Prilosec OTC issue too. I was taking 40 mg Prilosec and 150 mg Zantac in AM, and 40 mg Prilosec and 300 mg Zantac at dinner. The odd thing about this is the Zantac seemed to be the same, no matter how it was purchased ( tried 75 x 2 and 75 X 4 ) with both seeming to have the same effect as the RX version.
    Whole different story with the Prilosec. Thinking I could get away with the OTC X 2 on the Prilosec I bought one heck of a deal on the OTC, and tried just doubling up. MAJOR difference. Tricia may be able to shed light on this, but I felt since the PPI was designed for a more extended release/ effect, this method may have made my body confused. Although, now 1 week prior to my fundo, I have come down to 20MG am, and dinner, and seem to do better.
    Maybe this has to do with the mechanism of the drug itself, but I had no trouble with doubling or even quadrupling the Zantac, and received the same relief from Rx vs OTC.

zantac and prilosec OTC

As for zantac , my father in law has been taking the prescription zantac for a long time. He claims that when he runs out and buys the over the counter version , they don't work good at all. Don't know how many he has taken at once though.

I think they use different inactive ingreadiants , much like generic brand medicenes. May make a difference. Funny i know a woman from Montreal here who travels to New York to buy her nexium . She swears the American brand nexium works much better. The actual tablet looks different, the American version of nexium is a purple pill , the Canadian version is a large pink pill , but they are supposed to be the same. They are both Astra Zeneca. However i've heard from more than one who swears they aren't the same.

As for the prilosec over the counter , there was a pharmacist with GERD who was posting on the internet , i happen to have it still in my files.

Hello to all, I am intersted in anyones' input about thier experiences with Prilosec OTC. I am a registered pharmacist and am disturbed that most insurance companies will not pay for prescription Prilosec anymore. I received literature from Astra about the product before it came out and it clearly states that Prilosec OTC is formulated in a different salt form than the prescription version. This was done to keep people from using Prilosec OTC for more than 14 days and possibly masking a more serious condition. I have had numerous patients come and tell me that since they switched to Prilsec OTC from prescription Prilosec because thier insurance will not pay for prescription Prilosec any longer. There is plenty of hard evidence by Aztra and the FDA that clearly states that these two drugs are NOT the same are not to be used for the same diagnoses. Please tell me your stories, I am going to war with the insurances. Sincerely D. Gallagher RPh.
    Last edited by tricia; 06-25-2004 at 03:54 PM. Reason: i can't spell

+ Reply to Thread