+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can GERD be cured?

Can GERD be cured?

Is it possible for GERD to be cured without surgery?

I just wonder if I will be on meds all my life now that I have it. I want to know if at some point, some people are able to go off meds and be well again (without surgery as well).

It makes me sick to think that taking some penicillin did this to me!!

Lynn

Hi Toobusy,
    Some people will be "cured" of acid reflux symptoms and some people will go into remissions without surgery or endoscopic procedures that aim to tighten up the lower esophageal sphincter area. It all depends on what is causing their problems. If obesity is the culprit, weight loss can do the trick. If poor diet, overeating or eating right before bed is the culprit, then changing these habits can solve the problem. If anxiety, panic and stress are exacerbating GI problems then taking care of them can solve the problem. If a medication is causing GI problems then avoidance of that medication will solve the problem.

I know for a fact that there are people who can take GERD meds for a few months and then wean off of the meds, all the while continuing to eat properly, sleep on an incline, etc.. and the symptoms of acid reflux do not return....or if they do, they are controlled with an occasional dose of an otc medication.

Unfortunately, for those of us who have a "permanently" weakened or damaged lower esophageal sphincter, the GERD becomes part of our lives forever and we must revert to long term meds, surgery, etc. Why some people's LES becomes permanently weakened or damaged is a good question. In some cases genetics and age play a part. Sometimes years of untreated or not properly treated acid reflux can be the cause. Some people believe that long term use of the GERD meds can be a culprit. If that's so then a lot of us are in trouble.

I really can't see how only one occasion of antibiotic use can cause a permanent GERD situation unless there were unrealized problems to start with. I'd be interested in what other posters have to say.

Thanks!

Whew...thank you! I feel better now. I keep getting side effects to medications that never seem to go away and I fear this is just one more of them. I have bladder pain after taking several courses of Cipro years ago for sinusitis. 3 years ago I took Robaxin for a back spasm and it left me with a burning mouth. I got blisters in my mouth from the Robaxin. Once I stopped the med, the blisters cleared but everywhere there was a blister..my mouth burns off and on there. No cure for either issue and then..the dreaded Penicillin gives me daily heartburn. I'm just TOO sensitive to medications I guess.

Thanks again for responding....
    Lynn

the long term sucks i saw a info commerical on late at night,and he was saying acid reflux isnt a disease ya ya da..anyways he went on to say that he gave a person vinegar,and there acid felt better..it was what the fda dosent want us to know..why has this disaese just now got to the forefront..how did people used to handle it..

my main question is ive had the scope,and i have anxiety,so how do we know if are les is the reason or not,would it have showed up???im lost now....

Quote Originally Posted by trailer_man
    ....how did people used to handle it......
    Hi trailer_man,
    People would use lots of antacids like tums and Mylanta. Before that they drank lots of milk and/or used a water and baking soda mixture....and stayed away from foods that bothered them of course.

Quote Originally Posted by trailer_man
    ...My main question is ive had the scope,and i have anxiety,so how do we know if are les is the reason or not,would it have showed up???....
    If there is no hernia or if there is no obvious damage to the LES seen during an endoscopy...a doctor can do manometry testing. This checks the pressure at the LES among other things.

Question

Here's the question. Are more people suffering from heartburn now than ever before? Something tells me that they are, and that Trailerman is onto something here.

i dont think gerd can be cured..... i had gerd symptoms about 8 years ago, was put on prilosec for a year. the symptoms never really returned for about 6 or so years, then last may it came back full strength and has been here ever since. i stopped smoking and am watching what i eat and drink and i still got a few sypmtoms . im on 2 prevacid a day, ive also talked to someone who had the fundo surgury..... he says he's alot better, but still has occasional symptoms.

Just want to point out that getting rid of the symptoms is not the same thing as cured. You can manage reflux to the point that it doesn't bother you, but it does not mean that the reflux is gone. It can still be there and the potential for progression from GERD to Barrett's esophagus and beyond is there.

I'm actually not sure what "cured" means.... A successful lap Nissen is a cure, I guess.

Lynn to Thistle

Hi Thistle,

I thought if you were on the PPI's it took the acid out of your reflux and the risk of barretts etc. no damage can be done surely if there is no acid in the reflux. Does this mean we all have the worry of barretts hanging over us if we don't have the fundo op?

Lynn

Hi all
    I had a fundo nearly a year ago as I had developed barretts and was worried about taking medication for the rest of my life. My surgeon commented that it is not just the acid that causes the damage but bile may also be implicated so PPIs on their own will not guarantee that further damage won't occur. I have not taken a pill since the day of my fundo.
    I have posted on Mcxs thread "My fundos on Tuesday" some thoughts about gerd and gluten sensitivity that may interest some of you. It is unproved as yet but I do know of a man who was on losec for 4 years for reflux symptoms and since going on a gluten free diet he has needed no medication. Maybe the increase in reflux disease is linked to a western diet that is increasingly based on wheat based foods and processed foods that are full of gluten based additives - just a thought
    Helen

meds or a sucessfull surgery hmmm lol..i disagreemi also disagree on the barretts on cancer isue..i know i used to come here and rant on rave on this issue,but its so dang rare,as we all know we will die from something ekse,and its not going to be our esphoagus..point made,now im the type,that wants my quality of life back to where it was,and it was until aciphex quit working like 2 years ago..lol..i belive that before there was mylanta,and baking soda,methods,people didnt have gerd,its a new disease because ummm now it has a name..i dont want to take pills forever,or have a surgery that might not work..so what our options,well plenty of people go into what i call remission of gerd,it might still be there,but the quality of life is better,and the less chance of getting barretts...i want to find a happy medium until the day i do,i will be on my quest to find something that makes my life the way it was as far as eating like noral people..i eat health foods,like a olympic athlete,im already skinny,and i think i need to eat food that makes me happy..at this point as of today i cannot,but unlike some people here who say meds,or a surgery is it,i will wait for the next method,technolgy is great and im only 25 lol,or find what works for me..i belive the anxiety/panic disorder controls 80 percent of mine..later my friends hang in there,we will get better..just PRAY..that is it...

Quote Originally Posted by Toobusy
    Is it possible for GERD to be cured without surgery?

I just wonder if I will be on meds all my life now that I have it. I want to know if at some point, some people are able to go off meds and be well again (without surgery as well).

It makes me sick to think that taking some penicillin did this to me!!

Lynn
    You probably had h.pylori.

The h.pylori secretes ammonia that reduces the acidity in your stomach. The h.pylori is trying to protect itself. Your stomach, on the other hand, is trying to kill the h.pylori with the acid.

You killed the h.pylori. Ammonia levels cessed. Your stomach is still pounding out acid. The result is your net acid levels are way up.

Chances are once your stomach settles you will be ok.

+ Reply to Thread