+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GERD and cold air - is there a connection

GERD and cold air - is there a connection

I have so many symptoms and I'm trying to explain them all away so I feel better about it not being my heart. In another thread I've mentioned this too. In two weeks I am going for un upper GI and a stress test, but until then I need to calm down.

My symptoms:
    chest pain
    tightness
    sometimes unable to swallow food without drinking
    burping
    hoarse every day
    sore throats when I wake up if I forget to use the humidifier

Unexplained though:
    Chest pain or lung pain when I go out in colder air (This is such a pain because I have young kids that want Mommy to play outside.) I'm worried it's angina or something else cardiac so I stay inside. Is there a way to connect this to GERD?

Please respond!! Thanks!!

The hoarsenss and difficulty swallowing can certainly be related to GERD. If taking antacids makes it better (particularly the chest pain) then that would be a sign its not your heart. If exercise or exertion makes it worse, while it improves after exercise it could be heart related. However, even heart related chest pains are not necesssarily a cause for serious concern, but you are wise to get them checked out.

If you care to try sleeping with your upper body elevated, and that improves it, it is more likely to be gerd.

I had lots of chest pains and felt they were due to GERD since I worked out regularly, and they improved during exercise. However, my upper GI turned up normal, so I did the stress (treadmill) test, which was fine to. In the end, I was diagnosed with GERd. Sounds like you are doing the right thing by getting stuff checked out.

However, realize there is a very good possibility that both tests will come back perfectly normal. While that may be frustrating its really a good sign, since it rules out some worse stuff. (GERD is bad enough btw.)

Randy

to Randy

However, my upper GI turned up normal, so I did the stress (treadmill) test, which was fine to. In the end, I was diagnosed with GERd. Sounds like you are doing the right thing by getting stuff checked out.
    HI, How do they figure a person has GERD if the test turned out normal? My tests in the past have been ok. I go back to my doc. tues. so we'll see if he orders different tests. What's the 24hr probe test ? Is the BRAVO similar?

Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon P.
    HI, How do they figure a person has GERD if the test turned out normal? My tests in the past have been ok. I go back to my doc. tues. so we'll see if he orders different tests. What's the 24hr probe test ? Is the BRAVO similar?

Shannon
    Upper GI Test is not very sensitive - it *might* show ulcers, etc, but won't show GERD. It did not show I have a hiatal hernia, for ex. (I don't really know why they do them anymore, but they don't require sedation, so maybe thats why). I then had an endoscopy, where they found in the biopsy "changes consistent with GERD" - but nothing visible to the eye, as I understand it. Another problem is that if the inflamation has been healed (i.e. by PPIs) then there is no proof that you have GERD. The problem is that it might take several weeks to get an endoscopy scheduled, so if the PPIs are effective, there may not be much evidence when they get around to doing it.

GERD is really not that easy to diagnose - a standard approach is to see if a patient gets better with antacids, or PPIs. I saw a surgeon about a fundo, and he said he considered that the best test.

Bravo and 23 hr PH test try to do the same thing - test the esophogus for acid exposure. Bravo is a technique that has a pill like probe put in using endoscopy. It sends a signal to a small recieved that records the acid exposure. The older 24 hr ph probe used a tube down the throat for 24 hours. Some consider these tests the "Gold Standard", however, I understand they have limitations as well and aren't always that reliable, so some say there is no Gold Standard. (I seem to recall posters here saying they came up negative on the ph tests.)

Randy

to Randy

HI Randy,

I had bravo to no real avail!?! My GI said there was some acid but not enough to cause as much discomfort as I was having. I just wondered if 24hr probe would do any better? I guess it's MOSTLY trial & error.

Thanks for the reply, Shannon

Tom to Shannon

Hi Shannon!!!

The Regular ph Test will probably not be any more reliable than the Bravo!!! The Reason being: You Sound Like You may have Laryngo-Pharnageal-Reflux (LPR), which Mainly Effects the Upper Esophagus, Throat/Vocal Chords!!!

A Regular ph or the Bravo ONLY check the Lower Esophagus, not the Upper!!! The Double ph test (Where they put in two probes, One in the Lower Esoph and one in the Upper Esoph) is a MUCH Better Test!!!

If You can, I'd ask for a Double Probe Test!!!

Hang In There and Keep Us Posted!!!

{{{{Hugs}}}} and Prayers,

Tom

Thanks Tom

Hi, It seems alot of posts I read who have LPR, don't have severe heartburn? Does this seem right? Maybe I have both? and or HH too? I hope to get at least a trace of help tues.

THANKS for caring Tom , Love, Shannon

+ Reply to Thread