+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heart Palpitations felt in throat

Heart Palpitations felt in throat

I have been experiencing tremedous heart palpitations that I feel in my throat like I am being strangled. This is usually after eating a meal, no matter how light, even Rice Krispies.
    I have been to the doc and had a cardio and all the blood tests (not thyroid) and was given Nexium. The Nexium had terrible side effects I experienced severe pain in and thru my shoulder blade and my back. I bought Prilosec OTC and began taking them and have one more to go. Feel like I am improving and now am afraid to have a meal of anything other than light foods. Still have the feeling something is in the back of my throat.
    I also have localized Scleroderma which is CREST and the E in that is for esophagas so that could be related. I usually take a Pepcid chewable at bedtime and did so in the past but the doc told me to stop taking it.
    My question is: Could this be thyroid related? I have two relatives with thyroid conditions and they are telling me it is similar to their experience.
    Didn't mean to go on but would like to know if I am alone? eeeks.

Hi cooper,
    You didn't mention if you had GI tests....like an endoscopy or monometry. If I understand it correctly, CREST is a form of Systemic Sclerosis (scleroderma) and, yes, there can be esophageal problems. While I can't answer your question about the palpitations felt in your throat (I feel them too but mine are due to premature atrial contractions)....I think it's important, if you haven't already, to have your esophagus checked to rule out Barrett's and/or functional problems.

throat palpitations.....

I feel them in my throat as well... I was dx with premature atrial contractions as well after an ER visit for arm pain that the deemed 'ulnar nerve neurosis'. What exactly do your palps feel like in your throat? Mine feel more like a wave than a beat... infact i never feel a beat in my throat, just the wave that comes up from the bottom of my throat and goes back down. Scarrrry... I used to think it was my heart stopping and then restarting... just curious what yours feel like??
    ~shauna

heart palps in throat

Yes Daw I did have an endoscopy and was found with hiatal hernia and scar tissue on my esphogas that was biopsied and found okay.
    I am having smaller meals and the Priolsec has helped a little but I am still scared as I never know when they will come on. That is why I was wondering if it could be thyroid-related.
    Thanks for your reply

heart palps in throat

Hi Shauna
    I never heard of atrial contractions but will look them up for sure!
    Yours kind of sound different to me as you mention the wave.
    I just get a sudden pounding but not in my chest area, my throat and then a strangulation feeling and it could last about 30-40 secs and I never know when it will come again, sometimes when I am eating!
    Thanks for answering and hope you are doing well

I occasionally get something similar to this. Either my heart feels like it skips a beat (goes on for a few seconds then stops), or there will be a sharp pain right where my heart is that scares the crap out of me when it happens. All of this seems to emanate from my esophagus.

I've been checked for cardio issues - everything came up normal. I've been told severe reflux can cause symptoms like these that "feel" like heart related issues just because the area of the esophagus being damaged is so close to the heart.

Have you been tested for cardio stuff?

Kevin.

Hi Kevin
    Yes, I have had cardio done, have you?
    I don't experience pain just the strangulation.
    I am on a second round of Prilo right now and I still have the feeling there is something stuck in my throat.
    Have you tested for thyroid?

Cooper: I had cardio done - everything was okay. Never had the feeling that something was stuck in my throat, and never tested for thyroid. I'll look into that though.

Kevin.

+ Reply to Thread