+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to take omeprazole

How to take omeprazole

These are the instructions on the handout for my generic omeprazole:

Do not crush, chew, or break the over-the-counter omeprazole tablets (Prilosec OTC). Swallow them whole.

If you have difficulty swallowing, the prescription omeprazole capsules can be opened and the contents sprinkled onto a tablespoonful of applesauce. The pellets should be mixed with the applesauce and then swallowed immediately.

I find that if I take the pills straight, I get awful side effects. I experimented with taking the pill outside of the plastic capsule and swallowing the contents. Why would the instructions advise against this? I found this method helps with the side effects. I think the problem was with the plastic capsule, I just seem to have a weird reaction to it. I don't always have applesauce with me when I take the pill so...

The active ingredient in omeprazole degrades rather fast in an acid environment and become less effective or not effective at all. The ingredient is placed inside a capsule that is designed to be delayed release. This allows the omeprazole to pass out of the stomach into a more alkaline environment.

That is why Nexium says to take it 1/2 hour to 1 hour before eating.

If you think that the shell may be bothering you, here is the make up of the capsule: Some people have to by shells that do not contain dyes etc.

The capsule shells have the following inactive ingredients: gelatin-NF, FD&C blue #1, FD&C red #40, D&C red #28, titanium dioxide, synthetic black iron oxide, isopropanol, butyl alcohol, FD&C blue #2, D&C red #7 calcium lake, and, in addition, the 10 mg capsule shell also contains D&C yellow #10.

I think it is the capsule as I took 2 20mg of omeprazole capsules this morning, open them up and sprinkled them over yogurt. So far I haven't gotten the upset gut and jitteriness that I had before. Now I undestand why I never quite felt right when I was on Nexium and why Protonix, a tablet, doesn't bother me as much. Now, I have to see if omeprazole can take care of the LPR symptoms. The sore throat is back...hopefully now that I have figured out how to take omeprazole properly, I can bring the throat problems under control.

This makes a big difference as Protonix cost me $90 monthly while the omeprazole is $10. Thanks Hawk!

Now I have got to figure out why I have acid reflux!

prilosec

My OTC Prilosec is in tablet form

You can get prilomed (which is omeprazole 20 mg) online for about half the cost of Prilosec OTC. (See my cheap source of prilosec thread.) The pills are really small and round - easy to swallow. Good luck.

Randy

My generic omeprazole (120 monthly) is $10, so it's pretty cheap to begin with. I'm taking it with spoonful of applesauce. My symptoms have worsen since being on omeprazole so either the method I'm taking the medication lessens its effectiveness or it plain just doesn't work for me.

My throat has been burning, on fire!!! Either my problems are not LPR related or the omeprazole just doesn't work for me. I'm going back to Protonix and see if I put out the fire.

This is the $64 question, but I've heard over and over again that all PPIs are basically alike, but why the disparity in their effectiveness for some of us?

+ Reply to Thread