+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chest pain and feeling of "lump" in throat

Chest pain and feeling of "lump" in throat

Hi Folks,
    Really glad I found this forum, very reassuring to know I'm not the only one with GERD problems.

Did a search but did not find anything conclusive. Has anyone ever had the feeling of a pressing pain in the upper mid chest along with a feeling that something is stuck in the throat?

I've had a chronic belching problem for many years (never did anything about it), frequent throat clearing, which then progressed to upper abdominal pain, then chest pain and subsequently that feeling of a lump in the throat. Went to see a Gastroenterologist (did I get that right?) last August and he suggested an endoscopy, which we did last December. I was told I had grade B esophagitis (on a scale of A to D with D being the worst). I've now been on Nexium for 11 weeks and the upper abdominal pain is now gone. As for the chest pain, it used to be constant but I only feel it intermittently now, especially when stretching or bending over. As for the "lump" in the throat, I've had it for about 10 weeks now and it isn't going away. Saw an ENT about 4 weeks ago and she did a visual exam with the mirror down the throat, etc and said there was nothing to be concerned about. Also did a barium swallow last week and the Dr. said there was a slight stricture, but nothing to be concerned about.

For anyone with similar symptoms, how long has it taken you to shake off the chest pain and lump in the throat symptoms? The Dr. mentioned this process could take many months and last week decided to leave me on Nexium for 12 months.

Thanks for having taken the time to read and any input would be appreciated.

Great board once again!

Lpr

It sounds like you have laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR) which is reflux of the throat and voice box. Very often there are no common FERD symptoms. The symptoms of LPR include swallowing problems, feeling a lump in the throat, raspy voice, cough and excessive phlem and throat clearing. LPR taks a long time to go away and often requires a higher dose of meds. I'm surprised that your GI or ENT have not mentioned LPR. You may need several more months of meds and possible a higher dose.

LSAT, thanks for your feedback. I actually failed to mention the green phlegm (morning only for the last 2 months) and intermittent coughing fits (now stopped likely due to Nexium)...the raspy voice is actually no longer an issue (again, likely due to Nexium).

Question is, how much does LPR differ from esophagitis? Right now, the Dr. has me on Nexium 40mg, once daily. I have heard where some people require 2 doses a day though.

Cheers,
    Tony

Same prob

Hey, i have had exactly the same problems. Chest pain and globus sensation, excessive mucus since the beginnging of dec when i tried to get off PPis. Had an endoscopy last weeek and had mild inflammation of the esophagus and a small hiatal hernia. Have been on 2 ppis for the last 6 weeks, and the chest pains seem to be going away, but not the throat problems. It is ver y discouaraging. From all i have heard it takes a long time to heal those tissues. My doctor also wanted me to try reglan, but I am scared of the side effects so i have not tried it. Also, I have found that gum chewing has helped with the throat problems between meals.

Hey, I have similar symptoms to all of you, but only rarely the globus sensation in the throat. Mainly, it is throat clearing, and chest pain. Is your chest pain behind your upper sternum? Mine is very specific to that area, kind of a burning, tight, raw feeling. My scope (3 weeks ago) revealed only mild esophagitis, have been on prevacid for 3 weeks, thought it was working but today the chest pain has returned with a vengeance. From what you all said, it sounds like it takes a long time to be effective. At what point, do you say, "this is not working, let's try something else"? Also, doc didn't mention possiblity of LPR. Is the treatment different for that? I appreciate any response - this is getting quite frustrating. I have only been dealing with this for several months - I don't know how you guys manage who talk about having these problems for years. The PPI's seem to work for so many people, I wonder why not for us?

I think a lot of the problem is that PPIs may stop the acid from coming up, but is doesn't stop the reflux of all the other stuff. I am able to keep my reflux pretty non-acidic, but it still is very irritating to everything (of course it would be a lot worse if it were very acidic).

Quote Originally Posted by gobipuba
    From all i have heard it takes a long time to heal those tissues.
    That's right, it does take a while. I've only had it for 2 1/2 months but a co-worker of mine had a few years back and she mentioned it took 4 months for the globus to go away. I've heard the chest pain takes some time as well; remember, our body has to make up for several years of wear and tear.

Quote Originally Posted by mickieps
    Hey, I have similar symptoms to all of you, but only rarely the globus sensation in the throat. Mainly, it is throat clearing, and chest pain. Is your chest pain behind your upper sternum? Mine is very specific to that area, kind of a burning, tight, raw feeling. My scope (3 weeks ago) revealed only mild esophagitis, have been on prevacid for 3 weeks, thought it was working but today the chest pain has returned with a vengeance.
    Yup, chest pain is smack middle of upper sternum. I've had it since last August and has only recently subsided (not entirely gone). It used to be constant but I now only feel it if I'm bending over to pick up my youngest one or make a sudden movement. I was diagnosed with grade B esophagitis but never really suffered from heartburn. Doc said symptoms may vary greatly from one patient to another. Some people whine big time and have nearly no damage to the esophagus, while others have little pain and end up with advanced esophagitis...go figure.

badbrewin, you mentioned that you noticed your chest pain when you leaned over or made a sudden movement. I just tried jogging on my treadmill since I was feeling better today, and it seemed to make the sternum chest pain worse. Walking doesn't seem to bother it, but the running did. Why would exercise or movement affect this? Any ideas? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mickieps
    badbrewin, you mentioned that you noticed your chest pain when you leaned over or made a sudden movement. I just tried jogging on my treadmill since I was feeling better today, and it seemed to make the sternum chest pain worse. Walking doesn't seem to bother it, but the running did. Why would exercise or movement affect this? Any ideas? Thanks.
    Not quite sure, I'm learning all this as I go along as well. One thing my Dr. mentioned was that the inflammation of the esophagus gives that chest pain sensation because essentially, "it has nowhere to go in an area which is already crammed with other organs". My guess would be that jogging requires much more lung function than walking and probably worsens your esophageal spasm; although I went at it pretty hard on my elliptical exerciser for about 30 minutes last night and it did not worsen my chest pain.

One thing my Dr. told is GERD affects people in different ways and symptoms can vary greatly from one person to the next.

+ Reply to Thread