+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prevacid & Gallbladder Sludge

Prevacid & Gallbladder Sludge

I have had heartburn for a long long time. My doc put me on Prevacid 1-1/2 years ago. It seemed to help for about 3 months, then the heartburn came back and he increased me to 2 prevacid a day. It seems, since I started taking the prevacid, my problems have gotten 10 times worse. I had to go to the ER on Monday. They did ultra sound, something nobody had ever done. The ER doc said I have gallbladder sludge. Not too sure what that is. Anyway, I was sitting when all of the sudden I felt like I would throw up hot water from my stomach. I hadn't taken anything other than the prevacid. I never had this reaction of vomitting and almost passed out, thus, the ambulance ride to the hospital. My stomach doesn't want to accept food at all, it hurts to eat. There is a tremendous amount of acid in it. They ruled out anything cardiac. Said it is probably this "sludge" in the gallbladder doing it. I don't know what to eat and what not to eat. When I eat, I get extremely bloated and nauseas. I am now at the point where I'm afraid to eat anything. Even crackers hurt. I have a phobia of medications, but, I have some Nexium samples in the house and wonder if I should try them. If Prevacid didn't work, what are the chances of Nexium or Prilosec working. I know i can only try. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this stomach and heartburn to go away? What should I be doing to rid the sludge in the gallbladder. They gave me some things i can eat, bananas, rice, chicken broth. That's about it. But, bananas are binding and I have IBS and thats the last thing I want to do.

GB probs

I also had sludge in my GB and it was extremely inflamed - doesn't show up always on ultrasound. I read an article right before I had it out that said that PPI's may affect the ejection fraction of the GB - hence causing a functional disorder. I had your same symptoms. Knew I couldn't eat cream of wheat the rest of my life so I had it out. Piece of cake. Best thing i ever did.....

PPI & Stomach Acid

I know this is a dumb question, do PPI's take care of acid in the stomach or just stop heartburn? My doc has me on the prevacid 2 x a day, but not working. Called yesterrday and he wants me to switch to Nexium. Is Nexium really better or is that just hype?

PPI's inhibit some but not all of the acid pumps in your stomach. It does not stop refluxing, just limits the amount of acid that is refluxed.

I was on prevacid but Nexium works better for me. I still have bad days even with 2 40mg/day.

+ Reply to Thread