+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reglan

Reglan

I have a question about reglan. I have been taking it for 5-6 weeks 10mg 3 times a day for Gerd and LPr symptoms, along with PPis. I have develpoed some sympoms-fatigue and even more a sense of being sedated that I can't seem to overcome, so I quit taking it on Saturday. The last few days the symptoms seem to have persisted. Sunday night was the worst, total sense of sedation, I could think cleraly but my head felt very heavy, almost like in a fog. Almost same thing when i wake up in morning. I tend to have a lot of anxiety over my health issues, so i wonder if I am battling some mild depression. Also, how long would it take for the Reglan to be out of my system, if that is causing it?

JD

~Northing 1,538,500-Easting 620,000 NAD83 AZ STATE PLANE WEST
    Reglan is poison--DO NOT TAKE IT ANYMORE. Look up reglan lawsuit on the web. It helps some people, but if your having side effects let me warn you more far more serious effects will possibly come including tardive dyskinesia (facial twitches) uncontrollable muscle spasms in your arms and legs (these might not go away when you quit taking it) and even severe major depressive disorder. All of this happened to me when I took reglan for 12 weeks and thank god the physical symptoms went away when I stopped taking it. It took almost another year of therapy with ssri's to get over the depression that reglan caused. Ask your Dr about other possibilities for promotility agents--I hear some people have luck using zelnorm even though it is a non approved use, but it works for GERD in some. Or you can possibly try lo dose eurythramiacin.

Reglan

Hi JD GERDGUY is right . Reglan can be a nasty drug . Long lasting side effects are more likely to happen the longer a person is on it. You haven't been on it long so you should not worry too much . You should consult your doctor about this. As Cullin said, one of the side effects is depression.

It crosses the blood brain barrier, that's why it has a tendancy to affect the head. Some have no problems with it , where many do. Hopefully others will post their experiences.

Wanted to mention besides the zelnorm and antibotic GERDGUY mentioned, , there is also motillium . It's an emptying drug used in Canada and all of Europe , but banned in the US . Many US doctors do precribe it though. It doesn't cross the blood brain barrier and is beleived safer in that respect.

Wanted to also mention my experience with my first PPI-- protonix. I had that feeling that my head was in a fog , and was also dizzy . Was extremely depressed as well which is not typical of my personality at all. I stopped that PPI , and everything went away , depression , dizziness etc . I switched to another one and was fine after that. So make sure it isn't your PPI too.

Tricia,

I thought motillum wasn't available in the US--so how do US Drs prescribe it? I am really interested in this because while my probs are OK there are times, about twice per year, when I could really use a promotility drug and will not take reglan and have taken eurythramiacin with limited success.

Hi GERDGUY People get it on the internet . There are people on various boards, this one included , who say their doctors write prescriptions for it .

Withdrawal

Is their any possibilty that this is withdrawal from the meds as well?

gobipuba

Hi JD In all of the people i have seen at least who had side effects and took the drug short term , their physical symptoms go away fairly quickly after cutting the dosage or discontinuing this drug. .... except in the case of tardive dyskinesia ( the most serious side effect) which produces parkinsons like symptoms.

You never know though , anything is possible . Make sure you call your doctor if you continue to have problems. Sure hope you feel better next time you post

Many people have depression with this illness , that drug doesn't help things along. Make sure you talk to someone . Here are some patient comments on Reglan [url]http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=17854&name=REGLAN[/url]

Zelnorm

Zelnorm is suppose to promote peristalsis. Does this work in place of Reglan? I know they gave it to me for IBS - didn't do anything for me, but there were no side effects and it helps lots of people.... Does it do help stomach emptying? Seems like it should if it works on peristalsis.....

I took Reglan at one time, but never would again based on Cullin's comments...

Zelnorm

i asked my doc for an alternative-he gave me zelnorm, but anthem BC would not pay for it because it only has been approved for women, so i was back on reglan. go figure.

HI Zelnorm is used for various motility problems , from IBS to delayed emptying to esophageal motility problems. The Cleveland Clinic i know uses that primarily instead of Regan for GERD.

I noticed the zelmorm commercials here now have men in them ... and gear towards both men and women. . So it must be approved here in Canada for men now.

Commeercial

I saw those commercials as well here in the states. also the zelnorm web site. I was turned down about 5 weeks ago. I am going to call them tomorrow

Jd

Zelnorm

Quote Originally Posted by Tricia
    HI Zelnorm is used for various motility problems , from IBS to delayed emptying to esophageal motility problems. The Cleveland Clinic i know uses that primarily instead of Regan for GERD.

I noticed the zelmorm commercials here now have men in them ... and gear towards both men and women. . So it must be approved here in Canada for men now.
    Zelnorm is availabe for men now in Canada. I know cause I tried it. Just didn't work for me, but then again most drugs don't because I don't trust them.

OMG, I was on the Reglan here and I got to tell ya, it gave me the heebie geebies. Tired and moody all the time. Domperidone got me going as far as motility goes.

Reglan

I have had some uncontrolable twittches(spams) in my muscle right by my left elbow the last couple of hours. Still seem like I am tired or foggy all the time . I hope this gerts better in the next few days. no reglan since Saturday

It'll get better. It took me several weeks of intermittent twitches to get that crap outta my system.

Thanks

GERDGUY, thanks for the info, Gosh, I slept like crap last night. Woke up at 3 am, wild dreams, insomnia, fell back asleep at 5, slept to 8:30, now I feel like a truck hit me. I am taking some B complex to try to get some energy back. So you think it might take a week or so to get this out of my system?

+ Reply to Thread