+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I have LPR /silent reflux..so I am not sure what foods are ok.

I have LPR /silent reflux..so I am not sure what foods are ok.

Is it ok to eat pasta and bread? I can't tell whether these things effect my reflux or not. I never feel acid coming up my stomach no matter what I eat.

Thanks.

KLA

Lpr ????

Keven...Did you ever get tested...PH Test-Dual Probe...to see if you really had LPR? In previous posts, the only symptom you seem to have was sore throat. LPR is treated just like GERD....Follow a GERD diet. You indicated in the past that you drink Scotch....that is not on the diet.

Hi Kevin,

If you have been properly diagnosed with LPR then the low carb diet should work for you.

It has definately improved my LPR symptoms.

Recently I went back to taking Nexium and completely abandoned the low carb diet and my symptoms are back with a vegence.

Quote Originally Posted by LSAT
    Keven...Did you ever get tested...PH Test-Dual Probe...to see if you really had LPR? In previous posts, the only symptom you seem to have was sore throat. LPR is treated just like GERD....Follow a GERD diet. You indicated in the past that you drink Scotch....that is not on the diet.
    I have never been tested. The doctor did diagnose me. He was confident in his diagnosis. The symtoms I have are sore throat, the funny taste common with LPR patients, difficulty swallowing.

Does pasta have a lot of carbs? I eat a lot and not sure I can not live without it.

KLA

Hi Kevin

Pasta is probably my worst enemy when it comes to GERD.

After having been on the low carb diet for a while I had been experimenting by adding in potatoes and rice and was doing OK.

THen last week I ate some spaghetti. What a bad move. I had reflux all night, and a horrible sore throat the next morning.

My wife, who doesn't actually GERD, just occasional heartburn, gets reflux from pasta too.

If you need a carb, then white rice is probably your safest bet as it gets digested very efficiently and leaves very little nutrients behind for the bacteria to get their teeth into.

I have LPR and a low carb diet does nothing to improve my situation. My doctor said there is no reason carbs should be the source of GERD or LPR but that people are grasping.

i think there may be a difference between low carbs reducing symptoms and saying that carbs are the source of gerd. I know that lately I was eating a couple pieces of toast for breakfast each day and had to cut it out because it was giving me throat burn. I suspect that carbs (fibrous/starchy plant food/material) may simply induce the stomach to produce more acid or pepsin or whatever than say meat/protein for example.

A few years ago I tried the low carb diet. Not to help with LPR but to lose weight. I noticed after just a couple days my LPR was all but gone. I didn't know about the relationship and LPR back then. The only problem is the low carb diet doesn't seem to be something you can do for life. Not to mention, people really don't know if it's good for you long term. The minute I would stray from the diet I would get the same symptoms. I don't know why it works but it sure did for me.

tried low carb, no cure here for LPR........thou i do try to not eat much high carbs, but when your diet is limited ie no onions, spice, tomatos and i also eat no gluten or milk then its i bit hard to find foods to eat, i live on heaps of yoghurt, fruit and vegies..nessie, i purchased norms E book and just didnt work, i think he refunds so i may see if he will...

+ Reply to Thread