+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 20mg Aciphex Vs 40mg protonix and nexium

20mg Aciphex Vs 40mg protonix and nexium

***Does anyone know why the standard dose of aciphex is 20mg, while the standard dose of protonix and nexium is 40mg? Does this mean the aciphex is weaker or stronger? My pharmacy said they are just diff meds and can't be compared. I don't believe that. I had to stop nexium due to insurance-and I just started aciphex today. I'm scared my symptoms will return. Should I ask my Dr if I can take 2 aciphex? Does anyone here know why the dosing is different? Thanks!
    Debe2

My pharmacy said they are just diff meds and can't be compared.
    I'd accept this, or I'd go to the various websites that the manufacturers have and dig deeply into the information they provide about ingredients and formulations.

***I did go look up all three medications. Since I'm not a Dr I don't understand what I'm reading when it comes to how the drugs are formulated or anything like that. I only understood that 20mg is the standard dose of aciphex, and 40mg is the dose for the others. The various brands were not tested againest eachother-so I can't tell what worked best.
    Debe2

Debe

You can't compare one drug to another by looking at the mg. Take headache meds for example...The standatd dose of Tylenol is 2- 500mg Tablets while the standard dose of Advil is 2- 200mg tablets. In my opinion, the Advil is stronger. You need to try each PPI and see which one works best for you...FORGET THE MG. Listen to your doctor and pharmacist.

***I talked to another Pharmicist and she said the same thing. You can't compare mgs. My symptoms are returning-but she said to give the aciphex at least 5 days to see if it works for me. She said even though I was ok on nexium there is still an adjustment period when you change drugs. She said maybe having been on nexium the adjustment may be easier-but it still takes time. So I will try not to stress. Thanks for your responses!
    Debe2

+ Reply to Thread