+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gastric Polyps

Gastric Polyps

***I just had my endoscopey yesterday. The Dr. found a few gastric polyps in my stomach. Everything else seemed normal. He told my husband these were nothing to worry about-though he did take a biopsy. I was out cold so I couldn't ask any questions. I looked these up though. I read that PPIs ( among other things ) can cause gastric polyps! I had no idea this could happen. I won't know until my follow-up what kind of polyps I have--but I sure don't feel they are " nothing ". I was tested for helibactor pylori-negative. But since this is a kind of " self " test I'm not confident in it. He didn't say he saw any inflammation-yet I have had alot of discomfort lately. I have been on ppi's for 11 months this round ( I was on them 8 mos in 2002). Has anyone else had gastric polyps with the endoscopey test?
    Debe2

I did Debe... with my first one anyway.. I had been on very few PPI's... tried Protonix and Aciphex at that time but only for about a week on ea... that was the first test I had when I got really sick before my gallbladder came out a few months after that... you can even see the polyps in the pics they gave me of the endo... they were all over in my stomach and in the opening... my GI doc cut them out and biopsied all that he saw.... there was inflammation too... then I had another endo last Jan.... diff GI doc.. he found no inflammation and no polyps... I've been on Nexium faithfully since then end of March 2005... it didn't do much for me before my gb came out... I've tried about 5 times to get off of it.. but the reflux says NO.. I know my weight has a lot to do with this.... sigh but I like to eat more than I like to not...LOL
    I hope you get to feeling better soon... my GI doc said the polyps were nothing to worry about also.. I just think of colon polyps... scares me but I guess they are diff....

Debe2

My wife had about 12 small polyps and one larger one. The doctor removed all of them and didn't seem to think any of them were a problem. All tested ok. I asked the question if some of them could have been from PPI use. He stated it was possible but hard to tell.

***Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure if the Dr removed the polyps or just took a biopsy. I'll find out when I see him. I'm just unhappy that I still have symptoms on aciphex. Very slight heartburn--but it's there 24/7. When I was on nexium I had no symptoms at all! I had to change ppi's because of insurance. When I tried to quit nexium I got very sick. I also read ppi's stop working after 2 years....what are you supposed to do then? It really sucks to live this way!
    Debe2

I am not sure about the 2 years.. I was on Prilosec 20mg for about 9 years and doing ok.. I started having some breathing problems and went to Prilosec 40mg.. It didn't quite do the job. Tried Nexium 40mg and Zantac 150 at night and have been on that ever since.. doing ok.

Did the Prilosec 20mg stop working after 9 years or did something change in me that required more or a different med? Probably will never know.

Hi, I had these, and they weren't removed, because they were fundic polyps. These can occur after even a short time on ppi meds, or for no reason. They are benign. My gastro doc said that in 30 yrs - he hasn't come across a cancerous fundic polyp. They can almost tell by sight which type they are, but biopsy is the absolute. Most hyperplastic polyps are benign too, but these are removed because of the very low tendency to grow or change.

fundic poylps

On the prilosec insert it says..... During treatment with omeprazole, gastric fundic gland polyps have been noted rarely. These polyps are benign and appear to be reversible when treatment is discontinued.

+ Reply to Thread