+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Esophyx for LPRD

Esophyx for LPRD

There is a new surgery for reflux called esophyx, it's a surgery with no incisions and done totally endoscopically and has very few complications possibility which is very important so you really have nothing to lose doing it. They say it seems to be a big breakthrough and is very promising. You think it's effective for LPRD, I'm thinking about doing it next year if the PPIs I'm gonna try won't work.

Esophyx

I would thoroughly research this procedure first. A couple of us volunteered than changed our minds after reading about the problems those who have had it done are experiencing.

PPI's stopped working for me & I am now on Ranitidine & it has been like taking a miracle cure.

Try changing your medication before committing to a 'trial' like Esophyx which has not been going long enough to monitor long term after affects . & also read the posts from those on here who are now suffering the after affects of having this procedure. It certainly put me off.

Jenpet
    Last edited by JENPET; 10-21-2007 at 06:14 PM. Reason: spelling errors

If you look on the main forum index board, you'll see there has been an EsoPhyx forum for a while, and used very recently. This along with many other more recently developed procedures for GERD/LPRD. Unfortunately, none of them seems any more promising than old fundoplication (which isn't great, incidentally).

Quote Originally Posted by Ol'Line Rebel View Post
    If you look on the main forum index board, you'll see there has been an EsoPhyx forum for a while, and used very recently. This along with many other more recently developed procedures for GERD/LPRD. Unfortunately, none of them seems any more promising than old fundoplication (which isn't great, incidentally).
    I know that, but I know it has a low chance of complications like 5% compared to 20% to the nissen fundo.

Quote Originally Posted by harakiri_never View Post
    I know that, but I know it has a low chance of complications like 5% compared to 20% to the nissen fundo.
    But it's still only been done on a very limited basis. If I said even 5 people out of 100 that ever had it done had complications, it wouldn't mean too much, because 100 cases just isn't alot.

If they get more under their belts, perhaps we can trust the stats to stay at that level rather than diverge off to 15% or more as they often do in early trials. Early trials often can show 1 conclusion, then another trial shows the opposite. There have to be alot of data, preferably.

+ Reply to Thread