+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sleeping on Left side- pain/ nausea

Sleeping on Left side- pain/ nausea

Has anyone or is anyone experiencing pain, discomfort and/or nausea when sleeping on their left side? I am about a year post surgery and have not been able to sleep on my left side since. I initially thought it was due to the holes where they entered my gut, but problem still exist after a year and think differently now.

Regards,
    DP

Hi Swimmer,

I too have been unable to sleep on my left side I have to sleep on my right side......and I think Thistle or someone told me that it is not good for gerd...and since they told me that I have tried many times to sleep on my left side but it is impossible.....can not do it....I have pain also and a feeling like I can't breathe and it also makes my heart beat really really fast so I stay on my right side....sorry don't know why but your not alone....best of luck...

I think Thistle or someone told me that it is not good for gerd.
    I admit that I am one person who has mentioned this -- you need to look at an anatomy book to understand the reasons, as a picture is worth 1,000 words, even if they are my words. When you lie on your right side, the LES is lower than stomach contents, thus doing nothing to stop reflux. When you lie on your left side, the LES is higher than stomach contents, thus helping contain reflux.

If you cannot sleep on your left side, please don't! You might want to ask your doctor for a reality check on this next time you see him/her. Just to be sure that something else isn't going on. But I'm guessing this is likely one more thing that recovery involves!

Thanks, never really thought about the anatomy when sleeping. I'll have pull out the old anatomy book.....recovery has been both very good and bad to me; I guess this is something that I'm going to have to wait on for a "complete" recovery. I just find it odd that I get so nauseated being on my left side.
    I must say though, I have gone back to my doctor as a few recent blood tests have shown some high liver enzymes. (Doesnt have anything to do with my surgery though, I think.....)

Regards,

DP

+ Reply to Thread