+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Diet after Fundoplication

Diet after Fundoplication

Hello Everyone,

Let me first say that this forum has really been helpful. I am 3 weeks post-surgery and I am still really on a solid liquid diet of malt-o-meal,mashed potatoes and ensure. At this point I am continuing to have heartburn and when I try to add new items to my diet, I feel nauseous. I am not sure if the heartburn is from the fact that I am re-introducing foods to my diet or if the procedure did not work. I spoke to my doctor about my symptoms and he said that since I am able to burp I should not have the nausea or heartburn. In some of the other posts, people are eating a wide variety of foods. Is there anyone out there that had/have the same issues that I am having? Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Swelling can mimic heartburn, and food particles getting stuck can kind of create a burning sensation in the chest. We had one poster have heartburn for two years post nissen, then it just went away. Patience and discipline is the name of the game with this surgery.

Don't worry about the nausea yet, especially if it is coming on when you advance your diet -- you are still pretty bruised and swollen and that should go away with time. Did your doc give you nausea pills? You definitely want to have something on hand for nausea.

Would you please tell us where you live and who performed your surgery?

Heal well and do keep in touch!!!!!!!!!!! b

As Buffy (who was quoting my posts dating back to '00), your heartburn is actually swelling. And totally normal and pretty commen. It will go away eventually. Doctors seem not to comprehend the basics of recovery, so it doesn't surprise me that you're still wondering what is going on.

Buffy's counsel for patience is the only advice that seems to work in these situations. Being patient drove me crazy, let me tell you, but it was also very good for me to learn to be more patient. You might try the "hot water cocktail" trick that my surgeon suggested: drink a cup of hot water (not tea or coffee, just water) before you "eat." This relaxes the espohagus and can make things easier. If it helps, you'll know and you can decide if you want to keep doing it. It was a life saver for me. I started having big problems in week 3, and this got me through it.

Bentyl (Dicyclomine)

Quote Originally Posted by Thistle View Post
    As Buffy (who was quoting my posts dating back to '00), your heartburn is actually swelling. And totally normal and pretty commen. It will go away eventually. Doctors seem not to comprehend the basics of recovery, so it doesn't surprise me that you're still wondering what is going on.

Buffy's counsel for patience is the only advice that seems to work in these situations. Being patient drove me crazy, let me tell you, but it was also very good for me to learn to be more patient. You might try the "hot water cocktail" trick that my surgeon suggested: drink a cup of hot water (not tea or coffee, just water) before you "eat." This relaxes the espohagus and can make things easier. If it helps, you'll know and you can decide if you want to keep doing it. It was a life saver for me. I started having big problems in week 3, and this got me through it.
    You can also ask your doctor for a presciption medication called Bentyl (Dicyclomine). It's commonly used to treat IBS and is also used to treat esophageal spasms. The medicine relaxes the esophagus & the colon.

I use this medicine whenever I suffer from the bloating syndrome and it works quite well...

You can also ask your doctor for a presciption medication called Bentyl
    I like the price of my solution. Plus, it didn't add anything to my system, just addressed the esophageal issues.

Thanks for the responses. I will just be patient. To Buffy's question, I live in Los Angeles and my sergery was performed at Kaiser Permanente.

+ Reply to Thread