+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How can I obtain Gaviscon Advance?

How can I obtain Gaviscon Advance?

I've been reading some research stating that alginates can be helpful in treating LPR, protecting from pepsin. However, in the report I read, it refers to "Gaviscon Advance", which contains sodium alginate and appears to only be sold outside of the US. I would like to try some. Can anyone suggest how I could obtain some?

thanks,
    Mark

Mark

Hi Mark All gaviscon contains sodium alginate . The European brand contain more than in North America but all you would have to do is take 2 .

Buy the OTC version online from a Canada site. It's the best to use because it has magnesium carbonate instead of aluminum.

Tricia,

I've never seen sodium alginate listed among the active ingredients of any of the U.S. Gaviscon products, are you sure that all Gaviscon contains sodium alginate, and if so, how can this be verified, given that it is not listed among the active ingredients on the U.S. Gaviscon web site?

[url]http://www.gaviscon.com/products.aspx[/url]

ratobranco, do you know of any specific Canadian site? Most of them seem like phishing scams to me, I don't trust them.

Hi Mark, I've used both "canadadrugs.com" and "canadapharmacy.com" for prescription drugs (not over the counter) and both were very good.
    NYer

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_in_Seattle View Post
    Tricia,

I've never seen sodium alginate listed among the active ingredients of any of the U.S. Gaviscon products, are you sure that all Gaviscon contains sodium alginate, and if so, how can this be verified, given that it is not listed among the active ingredients on the U.S. Gaviscon web site?
    Hi Mark Yes i'm positive it is in all of the gaviscon. That is what makes the foam barrier. In North America it is listed as an inactive ingrediant . [url]http://www.gaviscon.com/how.aspx[/url] . It contains slightly less than the European gaviscon . How can you verify ? You could call or EMail them. That's what i did , and they told me how much sodium alginate was in each type . Of course the extra strengh has more alginate in it than the regular.

So has anyone had success treating their LPR with Gaviscon? And is it ok to take it along with taking 2 doses of PPI's per day? If so, when do you take the Gaviscon? Thanks.

Ga

Mark,

This is a link to Fauquier ENT website on which there is a blurb regarding non-acid reflux and treatment. It links to Gaviscon Advance and there are a few online U.K. companies from which to order. I believe I mentioned my attempt previously with one of the companies. They did not answer my question regarding customs/shipping & receiving. It sounds like it could be a gamble but very well could be one worth taking. Buffy mentioned that her relatives shipped the French version and it was delayed in customs a couple of weeks but she eventually received. Do you have any friends travelling to Europe anytime soon? Maybe, now is the time to start that geneology research. Anyway, below is the link afore mentioned. Please let us know what you decide to do. The Alginate content is significantly higher than the U.S. or Canadian versions. My memory is poor these days but I believe I am in range for Alginate content on the following:
    U.S. 250 +/- Inactive ingredient with aluminum
    Canada +/- 330 Active ingredient
    U.K. 500 Extra Strength
    U.K. 1000 Advance

[url]http://homepage.mac.com/changcy/lpr.htm[/url]

Non-Acid Reflux Research

Mark,

Please share the article regarding alginates and non-acid reflux. If Gavison Advance proves successful with non-acid reflux/lpr, I am up for buying a ticket and filling my empty suitcase with GA!

Have you been able to get any responses from anyone in the U.K. who particpates in these forums?

sippigal, sorry I don't find that I saved the report on my hard drive. I read so many articles that I don't always save each one. Perhaps when I have more time, I may be able to track down the one I was referencing and share it with you, but in the meantime, I suggest going to pubmed, which is normally my point for beginning my searches, and type in GAVISCON ADVANCE for example

[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez[/url]

I have made no headway in obtaining GA from Europe. I tried to lookup and contact pharmacies there, but it was turning out to be more time and dead ends than I had time for.

I'm still very interested though. If anyone has success, or knows of a way, let us know.

So what's the problem ordering from an overseas pharmacy via the web? Is it a customs issue? I found a site westons.com that sells it and the shipping charges aren't outrageous. I am not familiar with the whole customs issue, so please let me know what the risk/worst case scenario is b/c if I am only risking losing my money, I'll gladly take the risk. Thanks.
    Last edited by daw; 08-15-2008 at 07:33 PM. Reason: removal of link

sippi gal, here is one other abstract regarding Gaviscon Advance as pertains specifically to LPR

1: Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2008 May 28. [Epub ahead of print] Links
    The value of a liquid alginate suspension (Gaviscon Advance) in the management of laryngopharyngeal reflux.McGlashan JA, Johnstone LM, Sykes J, Strugala V, Dettmar PW.
    Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Queen’s Medical Centre, Nottingham University Hospital, Nottingham, NG7 2UH, UK.

Laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR) refers to the backflow of stomach contents into the laryngopharynx. Increasing evidence has demonstrated that LPR is a contributing factor in some cases of hoarseness, vocal fatigue, voice breaks, cough and globus and chronic throat clearing. However, several randomised placebo-controlled trials of proton pump inhibitors in the treatment of LPR have been reported with the majority showing no significant benefit in patient symptom scores over placebo. The aim of this pilot clinical study was to investigate whether any improvement in LPR-related symptoms, using the Reflux Symptom Index (RSI), and clinical findings, using the Reflux Finding Score (RFS), could be achieved with treatment with a liquid alginate suspension compared to control (no treatment). Patients presenting with the symptoms of LPR to the Otorhinolaryngology Outpatient Department at the Queen's Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK were considered eligible if they had an RSI of greater than 10 and an RFS greater than 5 based on a fibreoptic examination of the larynx. A total of 49 patients were randomised into the open, parallel group study; 24 patients were randomised to receive 10 ml liquid alginate suspension (Gaviscon((R)) Advance) four times daily after meals and at bedtime, and 25 patients into the control group (no treatment). Patients were assessed pre-treatment and at 2, 4 and 6 months post treatment. Mean (SD) RSI and RFS pre-treatment scores were 23.9 (7.0) and 10.4 (3.6) for the treatment group and 24.6 (7.4) and 10.3 (3.3) for the control group, respectively. Significant differences between treatment and control were observed for RSI at the 2-month (11.2 (7.0) vs. 16.8 (6.4), P = 0.005) and 6-month (11.2 (8.1) vs. 18.3 (9.4), P = 0.008) assessments and for RFS at the 6-month (7.1 (2.8) vs. 9.5 (3.4), P = 0.005) assessment. Significant improvement in symptom scores and clinical findings were achieved with liquid alginate suspension (Gaviscon((R)) Advance) compared to control and further evaluation for the management of patients presenting with LPR is warranted.

PMID: 18506466 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

follow-up

Mark,

Thank you so much for providing those articles. According to those studies, the liquid alginate seems to provide significant symptom improvement. Did it mention anything about the refluxate components? acid, pepsin, bile? Hopefully, that seaweed blocks everything! Now, the next worry...where is this kelp harvested? How much metal toxicity?! Something tells me none of us really care at this point. Again, thanks for being so prodigious in your research and follow-up. Please keep passing along any and all information.

Did I understand from a previous that you are still drinking coffee?

Is it safe to take Gaviscon on a daily basis? Any long term users here who can share their experiences?

Also if unable to secure the non-USA version of Gaviscon, is it still worthwhile to use the US version?

Guys, this is the internet. It's GLOBAL. You don't have to have a friend visiting Europe or a chat buddy on here who lives in England to get Gaviscon Advance. Just go to an English web site that sells the stuff and order it directly.
    Here's a good one:
    [url]http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/[/url]

Yes, you will pay for international shipping, but so what? By the way, the easy way to find places there that sell it is to go to [url]http://www.gaviscon.co.uk/resources/useful_links.php[/url]

+ Reply to Thread