+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Burping and exercise

Burping and exercise

So basically Ive been on PPIs for almost 3 years, tried everything and nothing completely works. At least the nausea is gone. My main question is, anytime I exercise (weight lift OR just play tennis or run or w/e) I get upper abdom pressure and only relief is to burp. Ive tried Gas-x; Charco ect, and nothing helps.

Does anyone else get this 'pressure' feeling and is it related to heartburn? Most the time with exercise at least I don't get the heartburn but just the pressure and hard to breath feeling. Is there anything else that could be causing this? It really puts a damper on doing anything exercise related.

I have very similar symptoms. I get the mild pressue just below my ribs and I burp many times during a run. I have to do it otherwise the pressue would build up and be painful. The problem is I notice LPR symptoms while doing this. When I am done running I have throat irritation and my chest becomes tight. I've heard of it referred to as runners GERD. It's very frustrating but there isn't much that can be done. I try not to work out until at least 3 hours after eating. I try to give as much time for the food to digest as possible. I've also read that people try working out/running at different times of the day. Some people have better luck in the morning while others at night. Perhaps that is something to think about.

I am also a runner and get the sensation. I run 3-5 times a week and carry DGL licorice tablets in my pocket. If I suck on those while I run the symptoms are much reduced and I think the swallowing keeps my acid down so it doesn't do LPR damage. I encourage myself to burp a lot.

I did have to give up weight lifting altogether though.

Dang I cannot imagine giving up weight lifting. Without that I drop to ~130 lbs which is where i'm at now, which is like a skeleton

As for the running, I also get this sharp pain in my upper right chest after about half a mile of running, it's a debilitating feeling and if I don't stop I feel like my chest is going to collapse in. I hate how we produce acid even when we don't eat it seems like. Of course if I eat 30 minutes before going to bed, i'm fine throughout the night and never get gerd symptoms.

Did you know that weight lifting is one of the causes of GERD? It damages the sphincter. I lifted for 10 years and was in fabulous shape but I wish I had never done it.

Does it matter what type of weight lifting you do? For example, is lifting moderate amounts of weight ok? I don't do much that would effect the mid-section. I don't do any exercises like squats or anything with the legs. Do you think that makes a difference? I work on the arms, shoulders, chest and back.

+ Reply to Thread