+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to Relieve a Painful Throat & Difficulty Swallowing Due to Acid Reflux

How to Relieve a Painful Throat & Difficulty Swallowing Due to Acid Reflux

A sore throat and difficulty swallowing are two of the many uncomfortable symptoms of acid reflux. An irritated throat occurs when digestive acids travel back up the esophagus, past the upper esophageal sphincter (UES), and into the larynx and throat. The acid causes the sensitive tissue at the back of the throat to become inflamed, resulting in a sore throat. Acid reflux that frequently aggravates the throat is usually referred to as laryngopharyngeal reflux or LPR.

Although taking common over-the-counter or prescribed H2 blockers or proton pump inhibitors can help alleviate your sore throat by combating and preventing acid reflux, did you know that there are many natural remedies you can try first to help relieve your irritated throat? Remedies such as:

Drink plenty of fluids Drink plenty of hydrating fluid, especially water, to keep your body hydrated and the back of your throat moist. This will provide comfort to the irritated tissue. Another excellent drink that helps relieve throat irritation is herbal tea. Herbal teas that contain anise and lavender soothe painful swallowing, aid in digestion, and help to reduce stomach acid, alleviating acid reflux.

In addition to herbal tea and water, drinking warm water with a teaspoon of honey is also a soothing and safe remedy.

The key is to drink fluids regularly throughout the day. Try always having a glass or bottle of water to hand to encourage you to stay hydrated.

Gargle with warm salt water Gargling a mixture of warm water and salt can help reduce the swelling that comes with a sore throat. The swelling of an irritated throat is the result of a higher water concentration in the cells that line the throat. Warm salt water helps to draw out some of the extra water, which decreases swelling. Here is what you need to know about gargling with warm salt water:
    1. Only gargle with a light mixture that consists of teaspoon of table salt per 1 cup of warm water. Too much salt will only further harm the stressed mucus glands of your throat.
    2. Mix salt and water well.
    3. Gargle for thirty seconds several times a day. Gargling only once or twice will not have a significant effect on your sore throat.

Humidifier or cool mist vaporizer The dryness in the air can aggravate an already irritated throat making it feel very dry, scratchy, and raw. Humidifiers and cool-mist vaporizers are machines designed to add moisture to the air. Air with moisture will reduce throat irritation. Keep in mind that these devices should be placed in an area where you will be spending the most time.

Hard candy non-medicated throat lozenges or mild tasting hard candy (I.E. butterscotch and fruit flavors avoid chocolate or peppermint candies as they tend to aggravate acid reflux) can provide relief of both sore throats and acid reflux. Hard candy helps to eliminate dryness, the burning feeling in the throat, and gives the throat extra moisture. This is because hard candy increases the production of saliva, and saliva contains bicarbonates that work to neutralize acids that may remain in the throat.

Active manuka honey Active manuka honey can provide relief from sore throats, alleviate acid reflux, and even prevent it. However, in the case of painful swallowing here is how you can use active manuka honey as a natural remedy:
    1. Take 1 teaspoon of honey
    2. Do not swallow immediately. Let the honey melt in your mouth and then swallow to allow the mouth and throat to be better coated.
    3. Do not eat or drink for 15 minutes after swallowing to keep the manuka honey concentrated
    4. If you have a persistent sore throat this remedy can be repeated every few hours, up to 4 times per day. Note: if you are a diabetic you need to watch your sugar intake, and will need to alter this remedy accordingly.

Sleep Rest always helps the body heal. Remember to keep your head propped up with pillows or raise the head of your bed to prevent acid from traveling up your esophagus to your throat during sleep.

Control eating habits Not only do you need to avoid foods and beverages that can cause acid reflux, you also need to ensure you are eating properly. This means eating small quantities slowly, and in an upright position. You should also limit activities after eating, and avoid lying down for at least 2 hours to encourage proper digestion.

Finally, although natural remedies can be very beneficial for treating your symptoms, it is imperative that you carefully monitor your irritated throat and make sure that the sore throat and difficulty swallowing you are experiencing is a symptom of acid reflux and not something else like strep throat or tonsillitis. If your sore throat worsens, has not improved in five days, you notice a coating of pus on the surface of your tonsils, or have difficulty breathing you should immediately see your doctor.

LPR.Relieve for dry, painful throat.

Hello everybody.To relieve a painful throat please try ALKALOL -alkaline saline solution.It has only herbs,oils and other natural ingredients and help me deal with terrible LPR throat and nasal pain .You can use it as a gargle,oral rinse,nasal wash.And it is work as a mucous solvent and dry throat relief also.

Thanks for the tips

Thanks for the tips on helping to alleviate throat symtoms for LPR. I'm taking a samall Poll. I have two mystery symptoms that I'm wondering are connected to my LPR:

1. Upper thorat pain that occurrs "immediately" after swallowing food. Key term here is immediately. No time to really reflux or antyhing it seems just immediate burning pain. Although I do burp a bit before it occurs and I do know that my burping is correlated with my reflux.

2. My throat pain goes away during the night when I sleep. Like it was never there.

Anyone experience this?

Lydia (Stardust)

There are a number of causes of pain upon swallowing, and I suspect that yours is due to a change the way you swallow. Specifically, I think you are dealing with a muscular issue. Ever torn a muscle and felt the burning pain? I doubt you've torn any muscle, but it is possible you've really strained one.

Reason being that LPR cause us to swallow differently, and this in turn creates a positive feedback loop that makes us more susceptible to reflux itself. We with LPR we "condition" ourselves through our throat clearing, mucus, etc, to "hard swallow", where we concentrate on the bottom of our throat when we swallow, instead of a relaxed normal swallow that starts at the top of our throat. Try using less force when you swallow, and combine this with swallowing less often in general.

This might not be pertinent to your symptoms, but if I were you I'd give it a try? Another possibility for the pain is that if you are refluxing very badly, you could have serious throat inflammation. Food passing over these areas of inflammation would then cause immediate pain. One way to test this is try eating dry toast compared to yogurt. Which hurts more? If it's the toast, you might be on the right track with this theory...

A third and much more remote option is that you are having an allergic reaction that generates contact dermatitis in your throat. For example, my sister is allergic to a compound in pineapple. If she eats it, her mouth and throat begin itching and burning in a major way. The only way to figure this one out is by getting a comprehensive food sensitivity test and an allergy test. This might give you a clue as to a particular food that is causing this.

I think options 1 and 2 are much more likely, as reflux doesn't happen so quickly that you feel pain immediately upon or after eating.

What has your ENT seen when he's scoped your throat?

Hope this helps...

Hello,Lydia! It is very weird i have the same thing* in the night time. My cough, pain, throat clearing,feeling of loose skin hanging down,phlegm in my throat**goes away .And i feel fine in the morning,but as soon as i eat or drink something, the*nighmare starts* again and gets worse as the day goes on.

To JOHN319 ! Thank you so very much for all information. Marina.

Marina,

You're welcome.

To MbiSH

Quote Originally Posted by MbISH View Post
    Hello,Lydia! It is very weird i have the same thing* in the night time. My cough, pain, throat clearing,feeling of loose skin hanging down,phlegm in my throat**goes away .And i feel fine in the morning,but as soon as i eat or drink something, the*nighmare starts* again and gets worse as the day goes on.
    Hi MbISH,

yes this is what happens to me. I don't have too much thoart clearing or phlegm, but the throat pain is aweful.

What do you take for medication and how ofetn? Where you diagnosed with LPR or just know you have it? Do you have any motility disorders that you know of?

Lydia

Stardust

Hi Stardust Did you test positive for GERD on your ph test ? You mentioned it only showed reflux when you burped . What was your Demeester score ?

Tricia

Quote Originally Posted by tricia View Post
    Hi Stardust Did you test positive for GERD on your ph test ? You mentioned it only showed reflux when you burped . What was your Demeester score ?

Hi Tricia,

thanks for asking. Yes I did test positive. I thought it was only when I burped (which was a lot the night of the test). My symptom correlation was as follows:

Heartburn 25%
    Chest pain 16%
    Regurgitation 23%
    Cough 100% with 99% symptom associated probability
    Pain in upper throat 75% with 97%symtom associated probability
    Globus 0% (which I don't understand because I often have had globus)

My Demeester Score: 25.5

Longest reflux episode was 7 minutes but I had 0 > 5 minutes. The GI said I reflux often but not long. Also I reflux more upright then supine. She said that my esophagus is sensitive. Anyway, they approved me for surgery.

L

+ Reply to Thread