+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throat Pain Upon Exertion

Throat Pain Upon Exertion

Hey all,
    Something new happening with me these days. For about five months now, upon exertion even mile stuff, ie., mowing the lawn, walking, carrying band equipment to and fro, etc....I get this stiffening squeezing sorta pain right in the middle of my tracheal area. It seems to start in the WAY upper chest area. Which, since I also am a heart attack survivor, reminds me of angina symptoms...especially with exertion. The thing is when I've researched "angina and/or throat pain" nothing comes up exactly like what I'm experiencing. I do notice more after a meal as well. This is really bugging me. Any ideas or related stories?

Thanks,
    Gear

I have the same problem. I notice chest tightness and throat irritation after exercising. One thing I realized, if I don't allow myself to belch while exercising, I don't experience these symptoms as much. The more I exercise the more urge I have to belch than normal. It's a bit uncomfortable but it's better than the alternative. I don't know if you experience this as well but it's something I've noticed. My best guess is the acid churns up while in motion creating worsening LPR symptoms. I don't really know how to stop it however. The bad part is I have asthma on top of it which also worsens.

Thanks

Appreciate your reply Mistomier55. I now believe it's a combo of some LPR and cardio junk. Even these last 5 days of cutting back on "the fatty foods" and dropping just few lbs...my pains are subsiding. Also, reconnected with the anti-anxiety med and that's helping as well. Seems that stress is my old friendly nemesis. (that's not right, he didn't say that right........hot pockets.....) = )

~Gear

Was that a Jim Gaffigan reference? Hot pocketttttts!

Quote Originally Posted by mstomier55 View Post
    Was that a Jim Gaffigan reference? Hot pocketttttts!
    I'm afraid it was.

That guy is truly one who cracks me up.

~Gear

ps......did you mean what you said earlier? .....referencing NOT belching when you exercise. Or did you mean the other way around....and actually belching while exercising?
    Last edited by GW; 12-16-2008 at 12:19 PM. Reason: needed to add something

Gaffigan is hilarious.

I don't allow myself to belch when I run. I basically hold them in which does cause some minor discomfort but it helps quite a bit. Of course this causes excess gas on the other end but that's a minor inconvenience. I'm not aware of any problems this could cause. Please let me know if you have heard anything to the contrary.

Gas = Pain

Oh, no. If I hold belching (either end) in....it gives me HUGE pain in my chest all the way up to my throat. You're the first I've ever heard of "holding" it.

~G

At first, when I hold my breath there are a few seconds of pressure and discomfort. But, it quickly goes away and goes back to normal. I wouldn't keep doing it if the pressure persisted or it became painful. I was skeptical about it when I started but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Perhaps you can try it for a short time and see how it goes. If it becomes painful you can just let it out.

Curious

I'm still not understanding why you would hold in the gas. Are you saying that for you....when you hold it in....it somehow works better for you when you are exercising? All I've ever experienced, and from everyone else I read, gas-release is for elimination and thereby relieving pressure and pain.

~G.

There's no question belching relieves pressure. However, in my opinion I think when you belch and release gas you also release acid/pepsin or other harmful things into your esophagus causing symptoms. My reflux has caused severe breathing problems. A combination of apple cider vinegar and digestive enzymes have helped me significantly. I wasn't able to walk up stairs let alone run before these things(including holding in belches). I've gotten to the point that I hold my belches in almost the entire day. I'll allow them 3 or more hours after a meal and that is all. I have the urge to belch probably 20 times within the first hour of eating. It gradually lessens the further I get from my last meal.

Stop the acid!!

Quote Originally Posted by mstomier55 View Post
    ......My reflux has caused severe breathing problems. A combination of apple cider vinegar .......
    Mstomier,

You sound like a person, like most of us here, that has VERY sensitive esophageal tissue. I can tell just by your worry over just the fumes from belching. That indicates something very severe all by itself.

However, I must inform you that if you have that sensitive of a "food tube" the LAST thing you should be doing is taking vinegar ....especially if you're doing it undiluted. And if you're doing say.... a teaspoon or two.....that will KILL your sensitive tissue and give you about the worst case of GERD symptoms imaginable. Including stricture, acalasia, regurgitation, etc., etc. I know, it has happened to me and my wife. She, in fact, can't even have wine any longer due to the acidic content. It's not the alcohol. Beer, for instance....doesn't affect her. (weird, those Norwegians...LOL )

Belching gas fumes is natural.....consuming extra amounts of acid, like vinegar, is not.

~G.

I don't know what to do. I'm sure you're right but the only way I get relief is from the ACV and digestive enzymes. Neither of them work alone. I'm truly at the end of my rope. I'm scheduling an appointment with a doctor at the Cleveland Clinic over the next couple months. I'm going to see if I'm a surgical candidate. It's the last thing I want to do but this thing has taken over my life. I don't want a Nissen but perhaps the Hill. I'll have to see what the doctor says about that. I'm just not convinced the Nissen is best for me.

Speaking of things to ingest that are good for the "digestive enzymes" ....have you used the "drinkable yogurts" that are out there? Yummmmmm ....and they work very well.

I haven't been online here in a long time.....so, I'll have to go take a look at your posting history to get a better feel for where you are at with your GERD stuff my friend. That way I don't have to ask a ton of questions that you've already covered in former posts. I'll be back to give my .02 if I can.

Isn't this stuff the most insidious thing? YUCK!

I appreciate it. I'll check back later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Getting Back

Hi mstomier55,

Well, I took a look at your posts and I do have some questions. You eluded to having a Hiatal Hernia but it wasn't all that conclusive. So, that's one question.....do you have a Hiatal Hernia?

The other is, have you ever been checked out in the whole pulmonary and/or cardiovascular areas? If so, what were the results?

You also seem to indicate that you may have some stress/anxiety issues (don't we all? ) . Do you have GAD (general anxiety disorder) or ever been checked out for panic attacks, etc.?

I am just curious as to your age and gender. But.... you don't have to answer that obviously because those issues do not matter in the least as GERD is no respecter of age or sex. I'm just a nosy sort.

+ Reply to Thread