+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DGL tablets help?

DGL tablets help?

Hi all,

I just received my DGL tablets in the mail today. I looked for them everywhere & I couldn't find them around Pittsburgh. Anyway, it seems to help. It seemed to take most of the burning feeling away in my throat. I did take them after I ate, so I hope it doesn't hurt anything. It says your supposed to take them before dinner. I wonder if I can take them with my Prilosec?

Dgl

You can take them any time you want and you can take them with Prilosec or any other drug without any interaction problems whatsoever. It's an all natural product that is simply black licorice with the component removed that can raise blood pressure. So it's actually a food.

It works best to take it 15-20 minutes before meals because it helps to coat and protect your esoph and stomach. You may also want to take them at bedtime.
    By the way, it's very easy to find them mail order. VitaminShop.com and VitaCost.com are two places I've ordered them from (VitaCost is cheaper). I get the ones from Enzymatic Therapy but I specifically get the ones that are Fructose and Sugar Free. They make another version that looks identical that does contain sugar. Frankly, I think the sugar free version actually tastes much better.

It's preferable to take chewable ones versus capsules. You chew them slowly and let them mix with the saliva so they start working as soon as you swallow. Capsules miss your esoph and only start working in the tummy after they open.

-NYer

Hi NYer!

Your posts are such a great help! Thanks for all the information! I really think the DLG helped me somewhat today. The Gavison I think is making me feel bloated, but I'm not sure if it's that or the Prilosec I'm taking (that doesn't seem to help -ha-ha).

I also received the Absorb Aid today, but I'm not sure if I should use it tonight or not. I'm having an upper endoscopy done tomorrow morning & I wasn't sure if it would affect the results.
    Are you still feeling better after all the natural remedies? I would really like to wean myself of all this medicine.. I really think it's just not good for you body. I feel like I'm in a continues cycles of reflux. I only had LPR systoms a month & a half ago & now I'm having some chest pain when I eat food. It's so frustrating. I wonder if the Prilosec is making things worse for me. I've been on a large dose & I wonder if it's been too much - 40mg twice a day. Does this seem like too much? Just yesterday I cut back to half, but I do feel worse.
    Anyway, I'll know more tomorrow after my EGD test & I'll ask the doctor if I need to stay on the Prlosec or change to something else. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for listening!

Hi Sunshine,
    You're welcome. I'm happy to help. You should start the digestive enzymes right away. They won't have any effect on the endoscopy. Of course, by now, you've probably eaten dinner and you have to fast before the endoscopy, so you might as well just wait till your next meal. Keep in mind that you take them when you eat or they don't serve any purpose.
    Actually, that's not entirely true...

If you are feeling nauseous, or you have indigestion, or, of course, heartburn, they are a big help. In those situations, use the powdered form or simply open up a couple of the capsules and mix them into about 2-3 ounces of room temperature water. It helps a lot.

But in general, you take them with meals to help digest your food. Some people say take them before, some say take after. The bottle says take two or if you have digestive problems, take more. I take one as I start a meal and three when I finish. That may be more than necessary, but what you don't use just comes out in the bathroom. It won't hurt you.

Yes, thank you...I'm doing better and better and I'm still on the same all-natural regimen. It's the only way to go.

I can't say about the Prilosec. I think all the PPI's suck for many reasons. I can't remember the actual dosage that I took, offhand, so I can't tell you if it's a lot. But for me, any amount was too much.

Enjoy your endoscopy drugs tomorrow! LOL (I felt really good after the IV anesthetic.)

-NYer

Hi Nyer,

I have to say I'm a little bummed out today. I'm too young to have all of these health problems. I had my upper endoscopy done yesterday. The procedure went well, but hey did find a hiatal hernia. They did some biopsies & are checking to see if I have celiac disease. There wasn't any sign of acid reflux & I was surprised by this. I hope I don't have the gluten sensitivity. It doesn't seem like a lot of fun. I'm just so tried of going to the doctors. I did ask him about the 40 mg twice a day Prilosec & he told me that is the highest dose & he wouldn't have put on that dose unless it was absolutely necessary. So, I did cut back the Prilosec. I'm trying to take 20mg a day & see what that does. The GI doc also told me that the Prilosec shouldn't have caused me to feel bloated & full. But, I'm not sure if I believe him. I'm losing weight & I'm 100 lbs & 5'1''. I can't afford to lose any more. I have read that Prilosec doesn't let your body absorb food they way your stomach is supposed to. Maybe that's way I'm losing weight? Not sure.
    Thanks for all the tips for the Absorb Aid. I did ask my GI doctor about them & he said he never heard of them??? Weird? He told me not to take them until we get all of my biopsies results in. So, I'm not sure if I should take them or not? Makes me kind of wonder if these doctors are working for the pharmaceutical companies?

If I may say so, and I'm not a doctor, he doesn't know what he's talking about. Go ahead and take the AbsorbAid. There is no harm done from it (or the DGL). Not surprising that he never heard of it. There are a lot of ignorant Gastroenterologists and all of us here have encountered way too many of them.

The last GI I went to was nice and he'd heard of it but didn't know how it would help but acknowledged that it was obviously helping me.

I was told to take it by an ENT who is extremely knowledgeable about non-prescription choices, as well as by my Naturopath.

Don't be worried about the possibility of Celiac. It sucks to have it, yes, but on the other hand, these days it is very easy to eat a gluten free diet. And if that explains all your other problems, that makes it easy to fix.

Anyway, yes, the non-absorption of food is why you're losing weight and the AbsorbAid should help with that.

And by the way, the doctor cannot SEE acid reflux during an endoscopy. If he said you don't have reflux because he didn't see it during your endoscopy then he is an idiot and you need to see another doctor.

If you spend enough time on this web site, you can read about all the tests that DO test for reflux. I haven't had those done - didn't need to. I know what I have.

Don't let the stupid doctors get you down. Just keep looking and try to get references from here - maybe there are people who live near you who have found someone good.

Best,
    NYer

Thanks NYer for helping to left my spirits. I did try the Absorb Aid tonight for dinner. I'm not sure if it helped or not, but it kind of tasted good & felt soothing going down. I took three tablets. I'm so bloated! I feel like I'm going to explode! I just hate this horrible bloated feeling. I never felt anything like this.

I think your right about the Prilosec. It feels like it's making me digest food very, very slowly. And I'm not getting the nutrients from the food, which isn't good & who knows in the long run it will probably cause other health problems!

These doctors are crazy. One tells you something, then another says something different. I'm really mad at my PCP for having me take that much Prilosec in the first place.

Oh, and the doctor told me he didn't see any "damage" from the reflux. Sorry, I should have explained it better. And I was wondering if there was damage from the Ibuprofen I was taking the whole month of July & he didn't see any. At least something good. But still, him not hearing about digestive enzymes makes me wonder? I think I will try to find a another GI doctor. It's always good to have a second opinion.

How long did it take for you to notice a difference with the Absorb Aid? Just wondering....

I'm happy that you're feeling better! Sounds like you been through a lot. You know so much about this reflux stuff.

Thanks so much for all you're help! You are An Angel!

Thanks, Sunshine!

Actually, unless you find a doctor who has a leaning toward alternative choices, in other words a doctor who uses the term "integrative" or "complementary", or "alternative", or "holistic" in his/her specialty description, then you can be very sure that he/she will not know anything about digestive enzymes.

The nice GI that I mentioned said, "Wow - that's so interesting that it's helping you. I know it helps for certain things, but I've never seen it help with what you have." Duuuuhhhh But at least he acknowledged that it was helping me.

Another thing you might want to try is to find a Naturopath. Check out naturopathic.org and search geographically to find one near you. Mine is wonderful, I really feel that she saved my life. She was the first to tell me to take DGL and digestive enzymes. She also did acupuncture (they aren't all registered acupuncturists but many are. You can look for one who does both on that site.). It was after she told me to do that stuff that I saw a new ENT, who has a strong interest in integrative medicine and he confirmed what she said and gave me some other suggestions, too.

By the way, I really can't say for sure if acupuncture helped, but I think it did. No harm done, anyway, if it didn't

The answer to your question is it took 2 days for me to notice the difference. After two days of taking the digestive enzymes with every meal, I took the first decent poop that I had in 4 months!!! Sorry to be graphic (actually, that wasn't so graphic...I wasn't going to use the word poop, LOL). I was finally digesting my food, so there was waste to come out.

That doesn't mean that you will see results that quickly. I mean give it a week or so to see if you feel any better.

It's good that the doctor said he didn't see any damage. Mostly, if that were the case, he might see damage around your esoph and it's good that he didn't. Also, if he didn't mention gastritis, that's good, too. That's sort of a sore stomach. I had that. When he showed me the pictures from the endoscopy, I said, "Oh, it's nice and pink". He laughed and said, "Yeah, but it should be more like a whitish color - not bright pink -more like the color of the back of your hand." So I pouted and said, "Oh."

My best friend has celiac and she does just fine gluten free. I've don't have it but I've been gluten free for the past 16 months and it's actually easy once you get used to it. If you have a Whole Foods or a good health food store nearby, it's really easy to find gluten free cereal, bread, pasta, pretzels, and cookies. So what's missing from that??? It's all good!

Hope you feel better soon -
    NYer

Hi Nyer!

Thanks so much for all the tips! I might just check into seeing a Naturopath. If it helps, then that's great.

I'm thinking about stopping the Prilosec today. I have to say I'm a little worried. I don't want to have the rebound effect. But, I really think I Prilosec is making me feel worse, not better. And I'm wondering if there's gluten in it? hummmmmm?....I'll let you know how it goes.

While taking the AbsorbAid my stomach is making so much noises. But, it was making a lot of noise before it, too. But, I think it's helping me, but it's still early. Why don't these doctors tell you these digestive enzymes could work? Aren't they in the profession to help people? Duhhh.

I'm so Glad you told me about the gluten free cereals, pasta & pretzels! What a relief & if i do have Celiac at least I won't feel to sad about it. Especially if it helps me to feel better. And cereal & pasta are my favorite things!

I haven't ate any bread or pasta since Friday & no cereal since yesterday. I haven't felt any burning in my throat in the last few days? And I cut back on the Prilosec to 20 mg a day. Makes me wonder... I'm really anxious to get my results -won't be till Friday, though -so I have a long wait.

Thanks again for taking the time to help!

No gluten in Prilosec. But it does cause side effects and so do all of the other PPI's and H2 Blockers.
    Don't know how long you've been on the Prilosec. If it's been more than two weeks, you may want to go to every other day for a few days and then go off, rather than just going straight off to avoid rebound.

Thanks Nyer,

I didn't stop today, but I think i'll go every other day like you said. Good idea. I was feeling a little better until I took this tonight. Now my stomach feels like it's going to explode. And my intestines are feeling so tender. I'm hurting.
    I've been taking the Prilosec for 6 weeks now. I'm so mad, i wish i never touched the stuff.

I'll keep you updated.

Yeah, the PPI's did a number on me, too. Listen, if it's really obvious to you that on the days you do take the PPI's you feel like crap and when you don't take them, you don't feel like crap, then just stop taking them. But in the meantime, if you are already taking the digestive enzymes and the DGL for a few days at that point, you may not have anything much in the way of rebound.

A few years ago, I took Protonix for 10 months. THAT moron doctor never told me that it can raise your blood sugar if you have diabetes (which I do). My blood sugar went sky high and I didn't know it was from the Protonix until I happened to go off the Protonix for a while and realized the difference. The doctor said "that's not from the Protonix". I printed out the side effect listing that came from the Pharmacy (from the manufacturer!!). And he said, "Oh, I didn't know that." Dick.

Anyway, my point, and I do have one, is that I went off after 10 months and had no problem at all. No rebound, nothing. So you may not have to worry about it.

And it was two years later when I tried Protonix again, figuring I'd just do it briefly and monitor my blood sugar - and this time had terrible chest pains from it. And switched to every other PPI and had all sorts of side effects.

Anyway, so you can try every other day for a week or so or you can simply try stopping. If you get increased heartburn as a rebound, then you can go back to one every other day for a while and then try stopping altogether. The DGL and digestive enzymes should act as a buffer in the intermediate period.

I hope it works well for you.

To Sunshinej17

It's good to hear that someone else is dealing with this bloating, but I wouldn't wish any of this on my worst enemy. I have never been so frustrated in my life! I've posted before, but I'm on Prilosec 40mg/day, 2zantac/day, and I've now started taking GAS-X for the bloating, but it doesn't really seem to help. I did try taking some probiotics for a while and I do believe that those make the symptoms worse. Question for all....my ENT seems to think that I should be showing more improvement than I am and has scheduled me to see a pulmonary doctor for possible asthma next week. I understand that the acid can get into the lungs, etc. but I think I am old enough and know my body well enough that wouldn't I know if I had asthma? Every chest x-ray is clear and when listenened to, my lungs are always clear. No wheezing. Maybe a little tightness in the chest, but basically feel like a huge cinder block is sitting on my upper stomach up to the breastbone. How does everyone cope mentally without this stuff driving you crazy?? Sunshinej17 says she is losing weight. I wish I was. I am about 30 lbs. overweight for the first time in my life and I want to eat all the time. My coughing does seem to be better, not really "barking" like a seal now, so maybe that is some improvement. I guess my question is should I go to the pumonologist or cancel. I hate being passed around just because they don't have an answer or seem to know what to do about it. Anyone else have any good success with the Acid-ease? Thanks for listening!

McBarbie, Have you tried the digestive enzymes? Sounds like you may get a lot of relief from them.
    If you haven't seen my other thread, here's a link to it. Lots of helpful info that other people have added, too. And with your bloating, which I had, I think you'd do well to try AbsorbAid digestive enzymes and they're described in that thread.
    [url]http://forums.heartburn-help.com/showthread.php?t=7527&highlight=all-natural[/url]

Nyer....no, I have not yet tried those, but I certainly will. I really think a lot of the discomfort is because of the Prilosec, but then again, I have no idea. Do I sound confused??? LPR is not for sissies!

+ Reply to Thread