+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LPR - Throat Wheezing/Shortness of Breath

LPR - Throat Wheezing/Shortness of Breath

Hi all,

I've been dealing with LPR for the last year or so now, and some days are better than others. Lately, I've been having problems with throat wheezing, voice loss, and shortness of breath. I've already had a Methacholine challenge done, and they've concluded that the wheezing is coming from my larynx, and I don't have Asthma, but to be on the safe side, I'm going to have the test repeated this Thursday.

My Pulmonologist feels that I am suffering from VCD, as a direct result of the LPR, so I am scheduled to see a Larynologist in another week. When I try to talk, if it's over a few minutes, I get really hoarse, and I start to lose my voice, on top of that I start to get really short of breath and my throat begins to feel swollen. I also have chronic nasal congestion, and near constant throat clearing.

My question is this: Is there anyone else out there who has LPR and suffers from these symptoms? Specifically the throat wheezing and shortness of breath?

Thanks,

Michelle

Hi,
    Lots of people here get the shortness of breath, including me. I also get wheezing. I went to a pulmonologist. He didn't come up with any definitive answers for me. I've never heard the phrase "throat wheezing". I don't feel that my wheezing is coming from my throat. It feels like it's coming from either my lungs or my stomach - someplace lower down. Of course, I didn't wheeze while at the Pulomonologist. I wheezed a lot before and after I left his office.
    -NYer

LPR - Throat Wheezing/Shortness of Breath

Hi Michelle,

My symptoms are:

Hoarseness voice gets tired
    Cough after eating and night
    Constant throat clearing
    Excessive mucus
    Burning sensation in the throat
    Breathlessness and wheezing

I have been suffering with this since December 2008 and I have not yet had a diagnosis of LPR. I am on Omeprazole 2 x 20 m per day. My symptoms were not too bad up until end of June, but then my symptoms worsened and quality of life deteriorated.

The breathlessness and wheezing seems to be linked to the mucus and is worse if I exert myself or at night when it can take a couple of hours to clear my airways. I recently went to the ENT and he did not seem to be much help. He thought it was either reflux or sinus but could not say which. I go to the GI consultant at end of October and hope to get some tests done, a diagnosis and a definite way forward to combat this.

Quote Originally Posted by NYer View Post
    Hi,
    Lots of people here get the shortness of breath, including me. I also get wheezing. I went to a pulmonologist. He didn't come up with any definitive answers for me. I've never heard the phrase "throat wheezing". I don't feel that my wheezing is coming from my throat. It feels like it's coming from either my lungs or my stomach - someplace lower down. Of course, I didn't wheeze while at the Pulomonologist. I wheezed a lot before and after I left his office.
    -NYer

Hi NYer,

Thank You for answering. When I first started wheezing, I thought it was from my lungs as well, but the Pulmonologist told me that it was coming from my larynx, and had me to listen as I was wheezing, and sure enough, it was coming from my throat area. I have this constant feeling of swelling in my throat, even when they tell me that the swelling has gone down and every thing looks normal again. This disorder is so frustrating, when all you want is answers and still can't find any! Are you using any inhalers for your wheezing and are they working?

Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by pamalambs View Post
    Hi Michelle,

My symptoms are:

Hoarseness voice gets tired
    Cough after eating and night
    Constant throat clearing
    Excessive mucus
    Burning sensation in the throat
    Breathlessness and wheezing

I have been suffering with this since December 2008 and I have not yet had a diagnosis of LPR. I am on Omeprazole 2 x 20 m per day. My symptoms were not too bad up until end of June, but then my symptoms worsened and quality of life deteriorated.

The breathlessness and wheezing seems to be linked to the mucus and is worse if I exert myself or at night when it can take a couple of hours to clear my airways. I recently went to the ENT and he did not seem to be much help. He thought it was either reflux or sinus but could not say which. I go to the GI consultant at end of October and hope to get some tests done, a diagnosis and a definite way forward to combat this.
    Sounds like my exact symptoms, which also get worse with exertion. Also drinking any type of cold liquid, makes me cough and short of breath. I was taking 2 Aciphex a day, but my ENT changed it to 1 a day. I'm not sure if this new Doc will raise the dosage again, but Nexium always worked better for me, but it also causes me extreme dizziness.

It seems as though my symptoms get worse at night too; especially if I've eaten too close to bedtime, and it will wake me up sometimes feeling as though I can't breathe. I go for VCD testing next week, where they will having me walking up and down stairs before visualizing my throat. I hate to say it, but I'm really praying that they find something, at least it will give me some definitive answers.

I totally understand about the deterioration in the quality of your life; some days I just want to lay in bed all day, but force myself to get up anyway. This disorder can really limit your activities to a great degree. I hope you can get some answers soon, so you can start the road to healing.

Michelle

I do not have LPR but Gerd is causing the shortness of breath and a cough for me.

[url]http://forums.heartburn-help.com/showpost.php?p=59022&postcount=7[/url]

Did your doctor say anything about adding a H2 blocker like Zantac around supper time? 150mg of Zantac along with Nexium 40mg in the morning made a big difference in my symptoms.. The Nexium alone was not enough.

Hi Michelle,
    No, I tried an inhaler once and it made me feel very anxious and uncomfortable...and it didn't help my wheezing. I've never gotten to the point where I am unable to breathe. Once I realized that, the wheezing stopped making me so scared. For six months, I carried the inhaler like a security blanket. I don't wheeze like someone having an asthma attack. That's why I question, too, whether it's actually in my lungs. Once in a whileI wheeze on an exhale, and I think that's a true "wheeze". But 90% of the time, I only wheeze on inhales. And it's often like a squeaky sound. Every now and then, it's audible to someone besides me and it sounds like I swallowed a dog-toy, which is pretty entertaining now that I'm not scared from it.

Sometimes the shortness of breath dissipates after I belch a couple of giant belches. But I can't force that. And I have to be standing up and moving around for that to happen. I can't burp like that when I'm laying down or even when I'm sitting. But that doesn't always help anyway.

The wheezing, I find, is usually less when I lay down - but not always. There is no question that the wheezing is related to the GERD/LPR.

I'll paste a link here for you that shows what I do to keep the whole GERD/LPR stuff at bay. I can't take PPI's or H2 Blockers. They all give me side effects. So I use only all-natural things and they've helped me tremendously. I'm not 100% fine, but what I have is very tolerable...unlike how I was 20 months ago, before I started doing this all-natural regimen - I felt like I was going to die. I'd say that I'm 89% better now.

I will point out that within the past three weeks, I have been incredibly stressed out, due to a family member being diagnosed with a rare disease and starting treatment for it. There is no question that I've been getting heartburn more in the past few weeks than I have in a while, as well as a sore throat and some uncomfortable swallowing, but again, it's all very tolerable these days and I'm able to keep it under control with digestive enzymes and DGL. Also, every now and then, before I go to sleep, I chew two Canadian Gaviscons (not American ones - they contain aluminum).

I wheeze much less these days than I did when the GERD/LPR was really bad. In fact I was wheezing earlier today, but it wasn't causing me any shortness of breath and it was pretty minor, so I've sort of just learned to accept it. I'm pretty sure that it started because I went to Physical Therapy today (for my shoulder) and I was laying flat, which I never do (I always ask them to elevate my upper half). While he was working on my arm and I was talking, my voice was breaking up, which is from reflux and which always happens when I lay flat. About an hour later, I had some wheezing.

Anyway, here is the link to what I do. It's a long thread as lots and lots of people have read and posted to it and I added stuff as I changed anything, so I suggest that you read the whole thing, if you're interested.

[url]http://forums.heartburn-help.com/showthread.php?t=7527&highlight=all-natural[/url]

Best,
    NYer

Hello everyone just in reply to pamalambs in particular. Yes I too experience all of those symptoms and more eg sinus problems,allergy symptoms of sneezing,eyelid swelling, slight deafness etc etc.
    Worst has got to be the brick on my chest and breathing problems 24/7. I have an inhaler but worse than useless and antihistamines do not work.
    I take Nexium 40mg once a day but ppi's have never worked 100% for me and have had gastric ulcers diagnosed twice whilst on them.
    I allways remember when first I was scoped I was over the moon that it was "just an ineffective sphincter problem and Gerd" Little did I know the misery that was to follow.
    It is 10 years for me now and my quality of life has been severely impacted although I never moan about it as few would understand.Now if it was diabetes, arthritis a broken leg or something then people could relate to that but not Gerd or Lpr they have no idea see it as a little bit of heartburn.

Caroline,
    I don't tell people I have GERD (anyone who doesn't have it doesn't know what it is), nor do I say "acid reflux" because, as you said, they think of that as a little heartburn, like on the TV commercials. I say "I have a Gastric Disorder." That makes them say, "Oh my!"
    -NYer

Hi again I have just read that back and it sounds like a terrible rant. Forgive me as I know many are a lot worse off.
    I too am from UK pamalambs.
    Let us know how you get on and what tests you are having.
    Regards to all.
    Caroline

Caroline,
    It's good to rant on here. When you express those feelings, others who feel the same way feel vindicated knowing they are not alone. It's not like we want others to feel our pain, but misery loves company and we feel better knowing that others truly understand our pain.
    So go ahead and rant. Don't be a proper English girl!

Tried that once Nyer and the person looked stricken and I realised they thought I had gastric cancer or something. You just can't win.
    I think I am feeling very negative today.
    My little dog is diabetic and has gone blind just this week so I think I am stressed out.
    Caroline

Oh, the poor little thing and poor YOU. I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I have a friend whose cat went blind but he's been managing pretty well for a long time.
    You need to get a massage and try your best to relax. I realized in the past few weeks what a big effect stress has on my GERD. A family member of mine was diagnosed with a very rare (and fatal if not treated right) disease. I have been so stressed out that I think my shoulders are up around the top of my head. I've been getting a weekly massage and it helps A LOT. It doesn't make the stress factors better but it keeps me from physically falling apart. I recommend the same for you.

Thanks for that NYer you are so right I am typically English stiff upper lip stoical just batten the hatches and get on with it. I think that the English do not express emotions as well as other nationalities and I think that is a very bad way of dealing with life. But you know what I could not have managed without the people on this site so thanks again.
    Caroline

Indianmist,

Thanks for the post. Good luck with the VCD testing next week. Let us know how you get on.

Caroline,

I hope your little dog soon learns to cope with the blindness. Don't worry about the rant. It is good that there is somewhere we can rant if we feel like it and know people can understand.

NYer,

I am sorry about you family member and I hope that they are soon on the road to recovery. Thank you for you information on Natural ways to combat LPR. I shall give some of your suggestions a try.

Thanks,
    Pam

+ Reply to Thread