+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gaviscon Advance and non-acid reflux

Gaviscon Advance and non-acid reflux

I suspect I might have non acid reflux.

An article on the website for Faquier ENT mentions that Gaviscon Advance is best for the treatment for non-acid LPR. See link below. Read under "A Word on NON-Acidic LPR" on the right hand side.

[url]http://www.fauquierent.net/lpr.htm[/url]

Medications that might help include robinul forte, Maalox (less preferable) or Gaviscon Advance made by Reckitt Benckiser (NOT the same as gaviscon sold in the United States by GlaxoSmithKline which contains significantly less of the key alginate ingredient). Read more here. Reglan is another medication that might be helpful, though has the potential for serious (and permanent!) neurological side effects. Research article regarding use of Gaviscon Advance for LPR shown here and here.
    It refers to a study. See link below.

[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15644042[/url]

In the results section it says:

"There was no effect of the drug on non-acid refluxes. "

It appears to be a contradiction.

Isn't the whole point of taking Gaviscon Advance to prevent pepsin from leaving the stomach? Isn't pepsin considered non-acid.

Am I not understanding something?

i have weakly acidic reflux and gaviscon advance didn't do anything for me at all, im leaning towards Baclofen but i can't find a doctor who's willing to give it to me.

Have you had impedance testing to see what type of reflux you have?

I used it and it worked great when my throat was getting irradiated from reflux. I purchased 12 of them. I have 4 bottles left. Since my reflux is under control I do not need them anymore. I put a listing up on ebay so if anyone wants to try a bottle feel free to search for it. I do not want to put any direct links to it as I don't want to violate any rules on the forum. Its the only 500ml Aniseed flavor gavision advance listing in the US.

In order to properly test if it will work for you, you really need to take it four times a day. Three times after meals and once right before bed. You can start off with 5ml dosages and if needed goto 10ml. Dont go over 40ml of the stuff per day.

Thats why you really need the 500ml bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by bent98 View Post
    I used it and it worked great when my throat was getting irradiated from reflux. I purchased 12 of them. I have 4 bottles left. Since my reflux is under control I do not need them anymore. I put a listing up on ebay so if anyone wants to try a bottle feel free to search for it. I do not want to put any direct links to it as I don't want to violate any rules on the forum. Its the only 500ml Aniseed flavor gavision advance listing in the US.

In order to properly test if it will work for you, you really need to take it four times a day. Three times after meals and once right before bed. You can start off with 5ml dosages and if needed goto 10ml. Dont go over 40ml of the stuff per day.

Thats why you really need the 500ml bottles.
    Did your throat heal completely?

Yes it did.

Its really good stuff. Like I said, you have to do it 4 times a day.

Once you can get your throat healed you can back off.= and follow this regime.

For instance, if you reflux durning night then just take it before bed. If you reflux during day then take it after your two biggest meals.

Quote Originally Posted by bent98 View Post
    Yes it did.

Its really good stuff. Like I said, you have to do it 4 times a day.

Once you can get your throat healed you can back off.= and follow this regime.

For instance, if you reflux durning night then just take it before bed. If you reflux during day then take it after your two biggest meals.

Before taking the Gaviscon and being cured, did you have any reflux symptoms after eating?

You might have mentioned this in previous posts, but do you live in the United States?

Hi I'm new to this forum and have LPR and desperately want to get it under control. I've just got some Gaviscon Advance - bent 98, how long did it take for your throat to heal on this stuff? How long should I give it before I decide whether or not it's working?

Thanks,

Billy

you have to give it month to see if its helping.

If not I recommend a Manomerty and a 24 hour Dual impedence test.

Melotonin can help 5mg before bed as its the only thing non RX to reduce TSLER's if that is your issue.

Thanks bent98. I'm in the uk and unfortunately Melatonin isn't available non-prescription over here. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that the Gaviscon advance does its job. Only started taking it yesterday so I've got some time to wait before I know if it's effective I guess.

Melotonin is very cheap, you can get 6 months supply for $30. Which is nothing when you convert to UK $$. Order it in US and have it shipped.

I cringe when I read how many people have LPR and Drs just look at you blank and brush you off. Its a horrible nightmare I believe that there are many varying degrees of LPR. Running the gamut of being mild to severe. Some LPR patients may be helped by PPIs or surgery. I was one of those that PPIs, surgery, pain pills, Gaviscon did nothing to help me. I had a severe case of atypical LPR. Nothing worked for it. I tried it all. The things that helped me: stop all meat, go alkaline in your diet, have your Vit D checked (the first 3 months I took 6,000 IU of Vit D3 drops and then dropped down to 4,000 iU) and I also take 2,000-3,000 IU of fish oil a day. I myself would not have believed that this could help me. I did all the things the Drs said to do. I came out 10x worse. I started Vit D3 drops in July 2011 and have had a steady incredmental improvement from searing unbearable throat, head and neck pain. In Aug 2011 I ran across several articles on vegal nerve problems and I gleaned from extensive reading that fish oil might heal nerves over time. I ran down bought fish oil and felt great improvement immediately. If I had not had severe LPR I would not know what very mild LPR feels like. I wonder sometimes if people have LPR and its so mild that they never go to their Dr about it. Its only the LPR pain that impacts our quality of life that causes people to go to the Dr. Otherwise most people just live with it if its not bad. The vegal nerve runs from the brain down the center of the body into the stomach area. It affects the whole gastro system and heart. I now take Vit D3 drops and fish oil every day and I continue to improve every week, every month that passes. I haven't felt any pain in 4 days and when I do feel LPR pain it is quite mild. Hard to recognize what it is unless you have had a severe case. I have had quite an improvement from where I had been. I'm not cured but pretty close to it. Let us know how you are all doing.

So is this stuff safe?

I have never had any testing to confirm I have reflux. I am thinking it would be less expensive to try Gaviscon Advance for a month or two to see if the problem goes away instead of having the tests done.

+ Reply to Thread