+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Meaning of Post Nissen Fundoplication Chest Pain

Meaning of Post Nissen Fundoplication Chest Pain

Hi, I had a redo of a Nissen fundoplication and I am experiencing an episode of chest pain for the 2nd time this year. My symptoms are occasional pain behind the esophagus and mostly to the right chest area and sometimes to the left chest area. This redo was done laparsocopically a little over 2 years ago.
    I had a good recovery except for the persistent pain which took about 10 months to go away. But like I indicated, I have had these episodes of pain coming back. I would say I had about 4 such episodes lasting for about 2 to 3 weeks. I did have one follow up endoscopy last December and there was no evidence of acid or erosion, no hiatal hernia was detected, and the surgeon said the wrap looked good. And about 6 months after my surgery, I had an upper GI barrium swallow and they said everything looked good. So the question, I would like to ask anyone what can this pain mean? It is quite annoying at times . Is it possible they can not really tell without doing another operation. And if so, can the Nissen be reversed? I do not think I would like to risk a third operation but rather have it reversed and go on the pills that prevent acid. I am aware of the dangers of the pills as they decrease calcium absorption, etc. I could make the trip out to Seattle to see Dr. Ralph Aye but I do not know if he is big on reversing wraps.

Sorry you're having trouble!

Hard to tell, given that your wrap is OK. Not sure why you'd even entertain having it un-done, but I think that's a way of letting us know how troublesome this is. What is the pain like? Constant, sharp, just like the post-Nissen pain, or? I'm going to guess that something happened to the nerve to cause this, and that's where your resolution is.

I'm a huge believer in acupuncture for pain (and I didn't have post-Nissen pain after a day, because I'd scheduled an acupuncture treatment before I went to the hospital). If you're open to that, you might try it. At this point, you'd likely need more than one session. As much as I like acupuncture, I don't believe in getting it unless I am sure what the problem is. Theoretically, it's possible for the treatment to allow the patient to mask whatever is going on, or it's possible for the treatment to clear it up completely.

Hope this helps a little. Hang in there.

+ Reply to Thread