+ Reply to Thread

Thread: esophogeal spasms/skipped heart beats?

esophogeal spasms/skipped heart beats?

Hi I was just wondering if anyone could explain what esophogeal spasms feel like. I have been getting this strange futtering feeling up the middle of my chest for about ten years, I always thought that they were heart flutters or skipped beats, they are always there when my acid reflux is bad,I also have a hiatus hernia, and exssesive stomach gas. I have had heart tests/blood tests and worn a 24hr monitor but my GP tells me its nothing to worry about. they are not painfull but sometimes it causes discomfort like muscle tightning. last week I had a repeat endocopy without sedation, as the doc was starting to remove the tube I had this fluttery feeling and she said to her assistant "shes having an esophogeal spasm".
    I know that I definitly get skippped heart beats as I have felt my pluse and the doctor has heard them, But what I would like to know is can you get esophogeal spasms without pain and does it feel like heart flutters?
    Do any of you get heart flutters or spasms?
    I also suffer from panic attacks, these feelings make me feel anxious and scare me.
    Any help would be greatly appriciated, thanks Rose.

Welcome to my world.

I feel those fluttering sensations as well.

I am going for a esophagal barium test next week to see if they can catch it.

I get chestpains in my upper left going through to the back.

I have started Nexium twice a day now and things seem a little better.

Do your panic/anxiety attacks feel like you cannot breathe?

Hi Rob, Thanks for your reply, in answer to your question, Yes! I do feel that I cannot breathe when I am having a panic attack, I also get short of breath, dizziness, hot sweats and rapid heart beat aswell. I have been suffering panic attacks for about 2 years, They seem to be worse when I am taking the Nexium(20mg daily), I have asked my doctor if they is a link but she dont think so, however since looking up the side effects of Nexium I am beging to believe that there is so I only take it when the acid is realy bad. I am sure the Nexium or stomach problems started the panic attacks, but they are very difficult to get rid of. I have tried various methods, relaxation, breathing exercies, distraction therapy etc, but when I get these heart flutters I feel like I am back to where I started from. I even get affraid to leave the home. I hope you have some luck finding out what the flutters are when you have your berium swallow, when is your appointment? Rose

English rose

hi Nexium is a PPI When I was on PPI's I was so sick when I stopped them I had bad anxiety it was horrible I couldn't deal with talking to anyone nor did I want anyone around. I was also in fear of the next one coming. I asked my dr. if it could be the PPi's and he didn't think so either. But funny that I've been off them for about a month now the anxiety attacks have stopped.
    Eva

panic attacks

I have had panic attacks for 7 years now, way before I ever took nexium so I can't blame the panic attacks on the nexium however, my anxietys have gotten worse since I was put on nexium. If I don't take the nexium I do get the fluttering sensations in my chest and I burp up acid all of the time so I don't know what is worse. My doctor did agree with me by me telling him my symptoms that I was in fact having esophagus spasms. They are not painful in anyway but they are very noticeable and I hate having them! My panic attacks can be so severe especially whenever I'm under a lot of stress.

Tippy

I really think it's palps. When you can feel your pulse skipping that is the sure way to tell if it's esphogal or palps. I get them more frequent when stomach is upset (palps). When stomach is good I usually don't get them.

Tippy

I get those spasms in my chest too. And I was getting the palps.
    They are two different things thats for sure.
    I just starting getting those spasms within the last two month's I hate them. What did your dr. say about them? Did he say you can stop them some how?
    Eva

Tippy

Also how long do they last. I notice that mine can last for hours. Sometimes they come at night. There doesn't seem to be a rhythm or reason.
    Eva

flutter and reflux

I too have this flutter sensation in my chest and it feels like your heart is missing a beat, it happens when i bend over mainly and it does cause me to become very anxious.

I have a nutcracker esophagus and this pain is very heart attack like pain.

I also have a hiatus hernia and have read on another site that another person was suffering from the same thing and his Dr. said that when he bent over his hernia was pushing on his organs i.e. heart. Don't know how true this is but it is worth checking with your doctor.

I think with all of the reflux, hernia and esophagus problems, I tend to think that our anxiety is caused by this as my anxiety has only been bad since I developed the reflux etc.

Hope this helps

Shelley

after lpr/fundo

its two month now pls i need answer i start having heart fluttering and palps aftert the fundo but not daily its i think 3 timer aweek,the swallow normal but too much pain in side the esophagus and its almost daily is this esophageal spasm.i called my surgean he said let your GI do Endoscopy as i might need dialation so whats is dialation?iam very upset -hani

Hani

An esophageal spasm and palps are definitely not one and the same.....A spasm usually occurs when swallowing and are quite painful, they completely inhibit eating or swallowing while they are going on...There is no way you could swallow while having that pain....As for a dilatation, I have had many of them...You wont feel any different than having an EGD......They are usually done for strictures caused from scar tissue formation in the esophagus...The dr will go in with the tube and then either he will use a ballon dilation and inflate it once it is in the right spot or he will gradually introduce different sizes of scopes to break open the scar.....When they wake me up I dont even feel like they have done anything yet , usually not even a sore throat......They do them so that you can eat and swallow better......It is not fun trying to eat when everything sticks!!! .Good luck

Hani

I should have read better, I didnt realize that you are post fundo when I typed my last post....Im not sure if the dilations are done exactly the same or for the same reasons but it seems reasonable that it wouldnt be much different.....Please let me know what you find out.......

+ Reply to Thread