Endocinch and hiatal hernia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endocinch and hiatal hernia

Is the Endocinch of use for GERD where a small hiatus hernia is present?

Does the hernia cause the weak sphincter or does the weak sphincter allow the hernia?

Tom to Jasmine

Hi Jas,

Hernia causes weak LES. In a Normal body, the LES is in the Abdomen. With a HH, the LES is allowed to move through the Diaphram and into the chest cavity thus making it weaker!!

You can probably research it, but I believe that the Hernia has to be 2cm or smaller.

Prayers,

Tom

Comment

Endocinch & Hiatal Hernia

Thanks for your helpful reply Tom. I'm not sure how large the HH is but I am having another endoscopy soon so maybe I can ask. I think it was only a small one. I guess it may be the fundo for me if the endocinch can't fix it.

Comment

Endocinch

Hi Jasmine,
        You may be interested in this info.
        Dr. Isaac Raijman in Houston Tx. has patients going back three-four years who have had successful results with the Endocinch
        procedure. These are patients who had large as well as smaller
        H hernias. He just completed a year long follow up study and the results
        seem to indicate the success rate is identical no matter if the Hernia is smaller than 2cc or larger.
        I have had the Nissan twice the first lasted almost three years, the later less than two. Can't tolerate ANY of the PPs. That explains the repeat surgery.
        Hope this is helpful.

Comment

moqueur

Thanks for the information! Is there a website link to the study?

Comment

Endocinch Study

Hi Jasmine,
            Not sure if the study is available online, however when I return
            to Houston will investigation.
            I have two friends who have had the Endocinch and are doing
            well. One two years ago and the other six months.
            The procedure has changed a great deal in the past year.
            The equipment has been redesigned, at first the stitches had to be tied by the doctor and were above the skin.
            I"m having the three standard test (24 hr ph, Motilty and Endoscope exam) done next week than may return to Houston
            for the Endocinch.
            Began once again suffering with Gerd last October.
            For some reason I cant handle the medicines at all.
            Now have it under control with the exception of some night time regurgitation, with no chest pain, tightness or burning. The only medicine I use is Sucralfate, which is a prescribed coating agent.
            Also take enzymes with every meal.
            In addition I consume NO fats what so ever. No wheat or bread
            products. For three months was unable to work, sleep or eat,
            lost twenty pounds. When I was on the PPIs before surgery had extreme side effects, shortness of breath, very severe vocal difficulties and stomach pains plus a constant headache.
            Thats why I am followng up with the EndoCinch to try and regain
            some form of normal life. By the way one of my friends who had the procedure almost two years past had a failed nissen (same as me) with a large HH.

Comment

Endocinch

Hi moqueur

Thanks for the information. I'm glad to hear of your friends who are doing well after the Endocinch.

I am currently on a long UK National Health Service waiting list for further tests. I had an endoscopy last year which showed the small HH, but I am waiting for another one, and then I may go on further waiting lists for the barium swallow and PH tests. I first went to the doctor about this 2 years ago and cannot believe I am still waiting, but that's the way things are here and I cannot afford to have the tests done privately.

My symptoms are bad pains, nausea and vomiting which are controlled quite well with PPIs. However, I'd like to start a family and PPIs are not suitable in pregnancy, so I am going to try very large doses of Zantac plus Gaviscon.

I heard that if PPI improve someone's condition then they are a good candidate for surgery. Do you agree with this? Did the PPIs help your reflux but it was just the side effects which were bad, or did they not help your reflux either?

What do you mean by the stitches having to be "above the skin"?

Good luck with all your tests.

Jasmine

Comment

UK NHS!

Hi Jasmine,
                My Father was from Manchester, and still have relatives in the UK. So I am very familiar with the NHS and the waiting involved.
                So sorry to learn you have been waiting that long time.
                However since the PPIs are working that is good news.
                My situation was that the medication worked quite well as for
                the Reflux and acid. Seem to have allergic reactions and could not function due to the very severe side effects. However that is just myself. The longest results that I know of personally anyway
                for the surgery is about ten years. Have spoken with several ones that failed after five years. The total for both of mine lasted five years.
                If you do try to off the PPIs, I was told that Calfate "Sucralfate"
                is available without a doctor "over the counter" in Europe.
                More that anything else this has helped relieve most of my symptoms. Don't know how other than in acts some what like Gaviscon and needs to be ingested on a empty tummy.
                Have also found Proboticts to be of help.
                By the way I have a friend visiting this week from Nairn in the north of Scotland and he tells me his wife has a similiar condition
                and went to France for treatment and now talks some natural products which he will let me know of when he returns home.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the information. Let me know how you get on.

Comment

Endocinch

I had the endocinch almost 2 yrs ago at Mayo. Mine is not one of the success stories I've seen posted. I lost nearly 1/2 my blood and needed transfusions. At that time, the drs had only performed around 50 procedures. It sounds like there is more experience and apparently new ways of doing it. I wish you luck but please don't go in thinking this is the "simple" out patient procedure it claims to be. Any stitch the dr puts in could cause bleeding which can go undetected. If I ever did it again, I would ask to be kept overnight for observation--don't know if that is possible for you or not. Good luck.

Comment

EndoCinch

Thanks for the advice. I"m very sorry to hear of your experience.
                      How are you now? Do you still have Reflux or did you seek another treatment?
                      I have had two prior surgeries and combined they lasted five years,
                      which seems to be about the average for a successful one.
                      Can't take any of the medicines and have had to make very drastic life changes. The surgeon who performed my last Nissen
                      two years ago referred me to a Doctor in Houston who is now concluding a follow up study on 200 patients who have had the procedure. He did inform me of ones he knew of that resulted
                      in problems, one being severe bleeding. He does them both as in patient and out. Guess there is always a chance of problems with any procedure. Had a very difficult recovery with the last surgery.
                      Just concluded my latest round of test and will soon make a decision.

Take Care!

Comment

Re: Endocinch

[i]Originally posted by voiceless [/i]
                        [B]I had the endocinch almost 2 yrs ago at Mayo. Mine is not one of the success stories I've seen posted. I lost nearly 1/2 my blood and needed transfusions. At that time, the drs had only performed around 50 procedures. It sounds like there is more experience and apparently new ways of doing it. I wish you luck but please don't go in thinking this is the "simple" out patient procedure it claims to be. Any stitch the dr puts in could cause bleeding which can go undetected. If I ever did it again, I would ask to be kept overnight for observation--don't know if that is possible for you or not. Good luck. [/B]
                        Hi,
                        Would you mind sharing more detail concerning your Endocinch.
                        So I"ll know what to be aware of.
                        When did they realize there was a bleeding problem, how long after, at the hospital or later?
                        Was the procedure undone, did you require more stitches to repair the damage? Thank you and once again I feel for you very much.

Comment

Working...
                        X