I woukd like Info on anyone who had the endochinch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I woukd like Info on anyone who had the endochinch

If anyone had this operation, I would like to know how long it took until you felt better ( or back to normal) I have the kind of job that I have to lift 65 Lb machines so a 6 week recovery (fundo) is not an option at this time.

Thank You

Tony

Re: I woukd like Info on anyone who had the endochinch

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tony SR [/i]
    [B]If anyone had this operation, I would like to know how long it took until you felt better ( or back to normal) I have the kind of job that I have to lift 65 Lb machines so a 6 week recovery (fundo) is not an option at this time.

Thank You

Hi Tony,
    I"m now about eleven months post Endocinch, doing great.
    As for the time it takes to feel the improvement, in my case was just several days and by one week was eating foods I hadn"t
    dare think of for years. The bad part is, the worst sore throat
    I have ever experienced, which lasted seven to ten days.
    Other than that was back to normal in short course.

Moqueur

Comment

Thank you Moqueur

A sore throat I can handle, It is not as bad as the Fondo operation. I think the endocinch is much milder pain wise too. So the recovery should not be as long ,also .
      I go on the 28 of April to talk to a Dr. about the endo. I did all the tests now I need to get this done. I have GERD for 15 years. I want to get off the protonix . I have been on these meds too long.

If you don't mind I have more questions about the Endocinch

How long were unable to work?
      Did you get any weight restrictions? (Fundo is about 100lb for life)
      How did you find your Dr. who did the endocinch?
      How lond before you stopped taking your Meds?

Thank you Tony SR

Comment

Endocinch ?s

Hi Tony,
        Am very pleased to provide any info I can.
        Returned to work in about four days. I had the procedure performed out of state so two of those days were there.
        Also because I have had two previous Nissen Fundo operations,
        which lasted a total of five years, for the Endocinch (ELGP) I required a General anesthesia. It can also be done with just a local, which should be a shorter recovery.
        Weight restrictions? Dont recall any. Will be returning next week
        for a check and will pose that question.
        Was referred by another local Dr. who does perform the Endocinch
        because I have had the Nissen, and he felt I was better off with a Physican who has had more experience.
        I have a allergic reaction to all of the ppis, so I wasn't on any of the meds. Was only useing Carafat and gavascion which didn't work very well. Had lots of reflux, bloating and pain and could eat. Have been told two out of five patients (who have had the endocinch) within two years will need a follow up treatment.
        Hope this info helps. Will be pleased to any others.

Moqueur

Comment

Thank you for the info Moqueru. I go on April 28 to a GI that does them here in NJ. I should be getting it done in May. I think I have to get a few more tests ( 24 hr Ph and the Gastric dump) I am hoping I will be feeling well enough to do paint some rooms while I am off.
          I am on protonix 40mg for about 2 years. Now I am having problems with protonix. It seems to happen every two years I change Meds because of a reaction . I was on Prevacid before that and I was on Zantac when I first was told I had GERD.
          I don't mind getting the endo every two years as long as I get these Meds. I don't know what the long term effects are of these meds. I was told by my GI that I would be on Protonix for the rest of my life. But every where I read Protonix is only used for 6 months not a life time.
          Well hopefully in 6 weeks I will writting people here about the endo . Thank you again

Ps: If you want I will write back after I get the endo and please let me know how you are making out with your post op.

Tony SR

Comment

I had an Endocinch done 3 times - all under sedation not general anesthesia. Recovery time for me was very quick - I only had a sore throat for a couple days. I was given no restrictions, but the fact that none of them lasted very long leads me to believe that my exercises are breaking the stitches (I do Pilates regulary). My doctory says "no", but I don't know.... I was able to get off the prescrption medication after the first one and was back on OTC meds within a couple months. I had the 2nd one done within a year and was able to get off meds entirely for about 1-1/2 years, then it was worse than ever. I had my third Endocinch last November and so far have not been able to get off meds at all. My dr. said I fought too much during sedation and he didn't get to put as many stitches in as he would have liked to. He said next time it will be under a general, but for me there will be no next time. I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I was one of the first patients he did the procedure on and the only one he has done 3 times. He said there have been changes to the procedure since my first one, but obviously something is not working. I wonder if there should be some restrictions after.

Comment

this might be a stupid question but...

can the endocinch procedure be successful for someone that also has a hiatal hernia? i realize each person's case is unique but i am curious if there is any general guideline of ruling out an endocinch if you have a H-H

i am suffering mightily for the past month with PPIs no longer working as effectively as they used to & may have to start down the path of finding a possible surgical solution although that is not something that i want to undergo - but if forced into that i would want the least invasive solution, if possible - like what the endocinch sounds like

i have a "sliding hiatal hernia" along with my GERD problems, so this is one of questions naturally....

- jon -

Comment

New GERDs Treatment Option - NDO

This reply is for all of you that are interested in new treatment options. I have had GERDs for several years and have been watching this forum and researching the various endoscopic treatment options.

Yesterday I spoke with the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN and became aware that they are now taking applicants for testing two new devices for GERDs control that are implanted endoscopically. One has been FDA approved and the other has not yet.

They both look very interesting to me so I thought I would share the information with the group.

One is called NDO. Information concerning this treatment on the net is limited and can be found at:

[url]http://www.biospace.com/ccis/news_story.cfm?StoryID=12735920&full=1[/url]

Additional information can be found by contacting the Mayo Clinic directly.

Good Luck!

Joe

Comment

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by - jon - [/i]
                  [B]this might be a stupid question but...

can the endocinch procedure be successful for someone that also has a hiatal hernia? i realize each person's case is unique but i am curious if there is any general guideline of ruling out an endocinch if you have a H-H

Jon,
                  The answer is yes. Have been free of reflux for about a year now
                  and I have a hh. The procedure doesn't fully reduce the hernia, but does improve it. Also see the posting concerning the "Plicator", this is the latest instrument for performing the Endocinch. It is placed right on the upper stomach instead of at the Les junction. Drs are also currently useing this device.

Cheers,
                  Moqueur

Comment

Plicator Info!

Here"s a short description on the "Plicator" procedure.
                    [url]http://www.ndosurgical.com/pages/procedure.html[/url]

Moqueur

Comment

thanks very much for the replies - it gives me some hope

i am suffering mightily today due to reflux last night giving me horrible choking feeling, swallowing problems etc....i can't stand this anymore, feel like i have a basketball stuck in my throat, it is beyond unbearable

the "plicator" looks like a possible good thing to try, but being so new i doubt there are (m)any dr's that do it (?)

- jon -

Comment

Endocinch Update!

Hi Jon,
                        Are you still considering the Endocinch? Had my 11 1/2 month post ELGP check up last week. Of the four plications placed three
                        look great, and the fourth is somewhat flattened, guess that's why
                        they place a few extra stiches. Had the 24 hr ph monitor, it showed no reflux, which I already knew. My Dr. said with some
                        patients it take two procedures to achieve benefit.

Hope you are fairing well!
                        Moqueur

Comment

Re: Endocinch Update!

[i]Originally posted by moqueur [/i]
                          [B]Hi Jon,
                          Are you still considering the Endocinch?
                          <snip> [/B]
                          i don't know what to do...i can't go on like this much longer though

had a few good days in a row this week thank god, but i'm suffering mightily again yesterday & today

i fear that i lack the strength & perseverance to see this through the way it needs to be tackled - that is, trying to find the right doctors in my area, getting all the tests, fighting with the dr's to get the right explanations/opinions/etc....i have had so many bad experiences with doctors regarding other health problems in the past i dunno if i can face that whole ball game again...sigh...

perhaps i will post something to the group asking if anyone has positive personal experiences with any doctors in my area (philadelphia).....i'm not sure if the GI doctor that i already go to has any experience with GERD surgeries like the endocinch, or even fundos, etc

thanks though for all your very useful comments Moqueur

Comment

endocinch update

I live in NJ I go to Dr. Miller at Temple University. He does the endocinch. But I am having a hard time getting my INS co to approve the operation. Does anyony one know what code to use so the INS CO pays for endocinch?

Comment

The code used for mine was 43499.

Comment

Working...
                              X