Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Had Plicator-Need...

hi
    I wasnt sure where to post this but-I m 26 yrs old and have had gerd since teenage yrs. it was controlled with ppis thru college. then in '01 it got worse when I got gastroparesis which made it worse. still staye d on ppis and was able to eat meats etc. but a yr ago the gerd took on it s own lfe. constant reflux shooting up. had to quit work etc. my life was destroyed. have had 4 egds all showing esophagitis etc... the reflux gave me asthma. destroyed sleep to the point where I spend most of my days broken. cannot eat properly etc. a true nightmare of the worst form. finally my new dr decided to do the plicator on me. my insurance wont cover these bt its a study so i got it free. I had it done 2 days ago but it s hard to tell yet on how it works. Im in a lot of pain and am on pain meds. Im jsut so desperate for relief. there doesnt seem to be much on this plicator on this board. how long does it take for it to show effectiveness etc? please point me to other info on this!
    thanks
    art3

art

Hi Art3 I have only seen 3 people who have had this procedure and none were the least bit happy with it . Have you seen their posts ? I can find them for you if you haven't seen them.

A lot of people are very curious about the plicator but there diesn't seem to be a lot of information from patients who have had it ... as i said i have only seen 3. Maybe noone else posts because they are doing well. Hopefully that is it.

It would be really interesting and helpful to people if you could keep us updated on your progress seeing you are a rariety. Good luck to you

Comment

Art 3,
      Moqueur had the procedure done right before Hurricane Katrina. He lived in New Orleans. He seemed very happy with it. Please read his post below.
      Good luck to you and please keep us posted on your recovery.

Also you can go to search and type in Plicator and it will bring up post on the Plicator procedure that has been discussed on the boards.
      Thx Lelyn

"Greetings All,
      Today is one month since having undergone the Plicator procedure. It is a very very easy procedure and can take (with the new equipment being used) sometimes just fifteen to twenty minutes. Mine took about thirty. Post procedure, slight sore throat lasted one day, liquid diet for twenty four hours,
      no swallowing problems what so ever. Since the throat is not involved this is not likely. Have no reflux and am back to a normal diet. Which I am very happy for.
      Had great success two and a half years ago with the Endocinch. To bad it doesn't last longer both of these are a much better opition than the Nissen. However spoke with someone recently whose endocinch is over four years and still holding. The only negative so far, my stomach muscles ache a bit if I lift anything more than about five pounds. Was instructed not to lift for about two month to allow the sutures to heal together. After two nissens and one Endocinch would say this is the easiest of all. Hope this gives a bit of first hand info on this one.
      Cheers,
      Moqueur"

Comment

Originally posted by Lelyn
        Art 3,
        Moqueur had the procedure done right before Hurricane Katrina. He lived in New Orleans. He seemed very happy with it. Please read his post below.
        Good luck to you and please keep us posted on your recovery.

Also you can go to search and type in Plicator and it will bring up post on the Plicator procedure that has been discussed on the boards.
        Thx Lelyn

"Greetings All,
        Today is one month since having undergone the Plicator procedure. It is a very very easy procedure and can take (with the new equipment being used) sometimes just fifteen to twenty minutes. Mine took about thirty. Post procedure, slight sore throat lasted one day, liquid diet for twenty four hours,
        no swallowing problems what so ever. Since the throat is not involved this is not likely. Have no reflux and am back to a normal diet. Which I am very happy for.
        Had great success two and a half years ago with the Endocinch. To bad it doesn't last longer both of these are a much better opition than the Nissen. However spoke with someone recently whose endocinch is over four years and still holding. The only negative so far, my stomach muscles ache a bit if I lift anything more than about five pounds. Was instructed not to lift for about two month to allow the sutures to heal together. After two nissens and one Endocinch would say this is the easiest of all. Hope this gives a bit of first hand info on this one.
        Cheers,
        Moqueur"
        hmmm maybe i should discuss this with my doctor, this sounds a lot better than the nissen... but the only thing is... if i get it done, will i be able to go back and lift normally? cause i lift very heavy weights, but if it says not to lift for 2 months, does that mean i can start lifting regularly after 2 months?

Comment

plicator

The plicator's safety and efficiency hasn't been proven ,one would be advised to wait a few years until there is more solid data on it... and it is known if it can be a viable and safe GERD treatment option in the future .

Had forgotten Moquer had it . Hope he is doing well. Here are a couple of disturbing posts on plicator.

[url]http://forums.heartburn-help.com/showthread.php?t=2254&page=2[/url]

This Is For Anyone Who Is Looking Into The Endo Plicator Procedure IWas Operated On Over 3 Weeks Ago And What A Disaster It Has Been For Me...I Was So Sick 1 Day After And Knew Something Was Drastically Wrong...I now Have Gastroparesis And Dyshpagia [ I Can No Longer Swallow Pills]..I Wasn't Aware That There Was A Risk Of Gastroparesis Or I Would Have Run The Other Way...well Too Late Now For Me...I Should Have Done My Homework Much Better And Didn''t...Is There Anyone Else Who Has Had Surgery And has had major complications? I Would Love To Hear From You.

Thanks Cindy

http://162.129.103.56/N/n.web?EP=N&URL=/MCGI/SEND1^WEBUTLTY(200,632016)/842787604
          "...I am looking for anyone in the Baltimore/Washington area that has been involved in the controlled clinical trial of the NDO Endoscopic Plication System who may have had this procedure done for the treatment of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. I am having numerious, horrendious health problems due to this device. The device has been attempted to be taken out with no luck at this time. I have been advised that the removal would subject me to become a 'gastric cripple'. A Laparscopic Nissen Fundoplication has been done over top of the NDO Endoscopic Plication System. I am looking to possibly talk to anyone that has had any complications like myself. At this point I just want to feel healthy again. Also I would like to have the 'Plication' removed safely..??? "

Comment

Im freaked Ou Now

well since i had it a week it seems nothing much has improved. food comes up an sits in my esophagus as usual. i have gastroparesis and the nissen was deemd to risky for me. so we had try the endoscopic route. can no longer tolerate ppis. Im so tired. Im so broken. Im 26 and have fought to at least reieve the reflux. I lost my job bc of it. in constant agony from it. we had to try something. now after reading this board Im freaked. I just need relief. cant sleep. cant work. cant eat decently. I see dr reichman, who is mentioned on this board for endocscopic plications. I pray this agony resolves. Im wigged out.
            art3

Comment

Originally posted by art3
              well since i had it a week it seems nothing much has improved. food comes up an sits in my esophagus as usual. i have gastroparesis and the nissen was deemd to risky for me. so we had try the endoscopic route. can no longer tolerate ppis. Im so tired. Im so broken. Im 26 and have fought to at least reieve the reflux. I lost my job bc of it. in constant agony from it. we had to try something. now after reading this board Im freaked. I just need relief. cant sleep. cant work. cant eat decently. I see dr reichman, who is mentioned on this board for endocscopic plications. I pray this agony resolves. Im wigged out.
              art3
              when all else fails... know that God will always be with you.. if you believe you will get better, then u will... don't worry, God wont let anything happen to u. pray and pray... this is our last and BEST option. keep ur head up and i wish u the best of luck

Comment

art

H art When someone who has gastroparesis needs a nissen fundo , they usually do a procedure called a pyloroplasty along with the fundo. The fundo works much better that way. Or they do a partial.

Did they try any treatments for your gastroparesis such as motility drugs, botox etc ? If you could get that under control , your GERD would probably be much better.

I hope the plicator starts working for you. A lot of the complications people have from this procedure are from doctors who are not well versed on the procedure. I assume your doctor is experienced .

I was under the impression they didn't accept people with esophagitis in their studies ? Anyway, keep the faith , i am routing for you that things improve.

Maybe you should call your doctor and see if you should be seeing results now? It could very well vary from person to person. Sure hope you feel better soon It's still early on , things could very well get a lot better

Comment

Hi art3,

Hang in there. I know that feeling of desparation and tiredness, I have it now too. We just gotta hang in there somehow.

Do you feel like stuff is going down when you swallow, or maybe some of it is getting stucK?

Teressa

Comment

Art3,
                    I agree with Tricia, even though this procedure did pass FDA approval a while back it does take a few years to determine its effectiveness and safety. If not mistaken this procedure is being performed US wide.

You are seeing Dr Rajiman in Houston? If so, I understand he is one of the best in his field. Is he the one that performed the procedure?

Maybe we can request Moqueur's presence on the boards and see how his prognosis is going. Hopefully he could help you understand the healing process and the timeline for effectiveness of the procedure.

Thanks
                    Lelyn

Comment

Yes--

yes-i see dr raijman in houston. either Im freaking out too soon or not soon enough. perhpas we can get moquer. I wish i knew others in town having this....
                      art3

Comment

Hi art3 On Dr. Starpolis site ( he works with dr raijman in studies ) it says the plicator system strengtens the gastric cardia in time. So judging by that , maybe you are freaking out too soon

The doctor didn't tell you what to expect ? What expectations did he give ?

Comment

Tricia

tricia
                          can u provide that website??????
                          art

Comment

I don't know if this is the site Tricia was referring to, but here is Dr. Starpoli's website link:

[url]http://www.starpoli.com/acid-reflux.html[/url]

Please keep us updated on your progress. I hope you are feeling better soon!

Comment

short of breath

thanks. another big probem is shortness of breath. god im sitting in a sweat. this is insane.
                              art3

Comment

Working...
                              X