"Revolution in treating acid reflux"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Revolution in treating acid reflux"

this sounds like a very promising procedure ![url]http://www.ndosurgical.com/patient_portal/testimonials.htm[/url]

it can be done under an endoscope which makes it even better. around 70 percent of people who have this procedure done have been able to completely eliminate PPI use. a further 10 percent have dramatically reduced PPI use.

that makes it far better than both the entyrx, stretta and endoclich procedure.

we are now waiting for some more long term results to see how good it is in comparison to the fundo (over a 2 year period, both procedures have extremely high sucess rates)

The Full-Thickness Plicator surgery allows the physician to enter the stomach with a camera placed just over one centimeter away from the site and tighten this barrier using a single step. Moreover, this surgery can be done in 10 to 20 minutes. No overnight hospital stay is required.

"Endoscopic plication may change the way the majority of reflux surgery is done, resulting in dramatically faster recovery and less pain for patients," said J.P. Forage, M.D., FACS, board-certified general surgeon and laproendoscopic surgeon.

The Full-Thickness Plicator is a device with a center port for a tissue retractor and a second port for an endoscope. Once the plicator is in place under direct endoscopic vision, two paddle-shaped arms are used to pull the lateral stomach together. The plicator then places sutures to hold the stomach in the new position resulting in the restoration of the normal barrier between the stomach and esophagus thus preventing the reflux.

In studies conducted with patients one year after the Full-Thickness Plicator surgery, 70 percent did not require medication to reduce acid production.

Anyone who has had this can post their experiences here

Wary of current endoscopic procedures

I think we need to be a bit wary of current endoscopic procedures. At least be willing to undergo the risk. I had a Stretta procedure. They were reported to work in 80% of cases like mine. Well, it worked for a whopping 18 mos. Plicator has not had lots of good press - there are not lots of success stories printed anywhere except on the med company's website. Same with Stretta. I think there is a new procedure that will assist many of us coming down the road soon - in testing somewhere - but it's not Plicator

Comment

What ever happened to the Gatekeeper (Medtronic, Inc.; Minneapolis, Minnesota) reflux repair system,* a hydrogel pellets and the Artecol* (Artes Medical; divisions in France and California), a gelatinous implant composed of Plexiglas beads; and collagen-based compounds? Maybe after the Enteryx scare they were dropped....?

Also haven't heard anything more about
      [url]http://heartburn.about.com/b/a/204219.htm[/url]
      [url]http://www.endogastricsolutions.com/about/pr_091505.html[/url]

Comment

gatekeeper

Wasn't one of our board members, tonymar, involved in the gatekeeper trial in New York?

From what I remember they cancelled the trial quite early as the results were too poor to bother continuing. I think that pretty much killed off gatekeeper.

I am sure I read recently about a belguim doctor who was doing nissen fundos endoscopically. I'll try and dig that out if I can find it.

Comment

Gatekeeper

[url]http://forums.heartburn-help.com/showthread.php?t=4653&page=4&highlight=Gatekeeper[/url]

That's the link. It was TonyMar. They didn't find enough difference between the experience of the sham group and the ones who received Gatekeeper so they were discontinuing the study. I remember my doc at Mayo telling me it looked very promising, guess it was not. About a year ago, they were doing a study at Mayo for GERD that involved a new kind of esophagus stapling. I didn't qualify because I had had Stretta, but I wonder how that is going?

Actually shayward, Gatekeeper was approved and available to docs in Europe since 2003....

Comment

Originally posted by DianeS
            [url]http://forums.heartburn-help.com/showthread.php?t=4653&page=4&highlight=Gatekeeper[/url]

About a year ago, they were doing a study at Mayo for GERD that involved a new kind of esophagus stapling. I didn't qualify because I had had Stretta, but I wonder how that is going?
            Hi Dianne That new stapling device they were doing trials on was the plicator.

Comment

Originally posted by shayward
              I am sure I read recently about a belguim doctor who was doing nissen fundos endoscopically. I'll try and dig that out if I can find it.
              Hi shayward,
              I think that was the doctor in my links above. The event took place in Brussels, Belgium. If you have any other info on this, I would appreciate it.

Comment

Hi Daw,

Just had a look at the link you posted, and thats exactly the article I remember reading before.

I did some extra google searches but haven't been able to come up with any extra info.

Does any-one know why no-one has developed an artificial device for wrapping around the eosophagus? Wouldn't that be much better than using the fundus. Then when the device started weekening it could just be replaced by a new one; AND you wouldn't have to have your whole stomach re-arranged.

Comment

that is what i have wondered sometimes. If they can wrap a band around the stomach to help people loose weight, surely they can do the same for the LES?

Comment

Tricia

It was not the Plicator - I had checked. It's a new type of device.

Comment

does anyone know if Enteryx procedure is still available after that woman died? it sounded very good also.

Comment

Follow-up to questions....

Entyrex was voluntarily withdrawn from the market by BSC.
                        Any device wrapped around the exterior of the gastro-esphogeal junction risks compromising localized blood flow; injuring the vagal nerve branches (potenially causing gastric stasis); and migrating into and beyond the stomach serosa over time. I don't want to say that it can't be done, but risks abound.

Comment

Gatekeeper is dead

Hi all . I am going back for 1 last time to NYC to have my Gatekeeper removed. From what I was told The gatekeeper was removed and would not be available any longer. They were going to study us for 2 years but when they cancelled the study they cancelled every thing. We were told if we had trouble with the implants they would cover any Medical bills, then they told us we had to have them out by a certain date or they will not cover any medical bills caused by their implants. The bottom line they did not work good for me. I have tryed to find someone in NJ who does the plicator , but, ( I was sent a list by Plicator) and I am finding out most of them don't do the Plicator anymore either. Thank you all TonyMar

Comment

Why No More Plicator

why do they not do plicator anymore? complications? Im having my plicator remove. pure agony.
                            art3

Comment

hfancher

Any device wrapped around the exterior of the gastro-esphogeal junction risks compromising localized blood flow; injuring the vagal nerve branches (potenially causing gastric stasis); and migrating into and beyond the stomach serosa over time. I don't want to say that it can't be done, but risks abound.
                              Why doesn't the wrapping the fundus around the eosophagus have the same negative effects that an artificial device would?

Surely just as much pressure needs to be applied for the Nissen Fundo operation to have any positive effect?

Comment

Working...
                              X