No announcement yet.

Plicator Update July 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make sure to add question what is the fronch size ????(the dialator size )the bigest is 50 fronch ,the smallest is 36, i know it depends on the surgeant while he is operating on u ,,,,but mine was 50 the standard one ,where as if he used 42 or 40 my nissins would be in success ----take care this what my DR explained to me and the reason my surgery failed regaldrless of the tight wrap or skilfull DR. its my luck ,writting to u now under severe pain inside my mouth LPR and behind by chest as if u are putting burning needles into my esophaguse . hani

Comment

Sorry about the pain...

If you don't mind me asking why don't you consult with Dr.Keith at rush,or a Surgeon at northwestern?
      I know Salky is good but alot of money and far away??

To redo yours would have to undone it and redo it correct with a 42?

Comment

My only issue is the money now, even to consult a Dr they charge at least 300 cash this what GI peter khralis charged me at northwestren hospital downtown chicago. also am soooo escared the second fundo might not work because i never responded to any medication and third i had 9 month pain after the surgery (esophegal spasms) especialy after i eat and was really bad but it gradually disappaired after 9 month of the surgery which is done on april 2003.i sufferd the LPR on may/2000 so its almost 6 years now
        changed my whole life . spent more than 42,000 .for GERD and Tests etc.--
        be safe man hani

Comment

peter khralis he a surgeon or a GI?

hani i see you stay up later than even me lol

Umm be scared I hear ya,but meds arent working great on me eithier but if you need a redo than you need a redo keep in touch..

Comment

Hi
            Dr Peter Kharalis Is The Best Gi In Il ...actually My 2 Gi Referd Me To Him You May Say His Specilist In Gerd And Esophagus .he Works At Nothwestern Hospital Downtown Chiacgo His Ph No Is 312-926-2000 .but I Advise U If U Response To Medication Why Dont Give It A Proceedure First Like Endocinch Or Plicator .
            Dr Arun Auri Done A Lot For Those Proceedures He Is Originaly From India Works At Resurruction Hospial Chicago . Hani

Comment

Originally posted by HANI
              Make sure to add question what is the fronch size ????(the dialator size )the bigest is 50 fronch ,the smallest is 36, i know it depends on the surgeant while he is operating on u ,,,,but mine was 50 the standard one ,where as if he used 42 or 40 my nissins would be in success ----take care this what my DR explained to me and the reason my surgery failed regaldrless of the tight wrap or skilfull DR. its my luck ,writting to u now under severe pain inside my mouth LPR and behind by chest as if u are putting burning needles into my esophaguse . hani
              Hani , they are called french bougies , and it is a tool used to determine the tightness of a wrap. The largest size bougie is not 50 as what you had , it is 60 . There are people with size 58 on here. If a floppy fundo is performed , they use between a 50 and 60 . They can't use small bougies for floppy fundos . The size is also determined by body size ( children obviously use smaller bougie sizes. )

LSAT had the same surgeon as you and had a 50 bougie too ...and his wrap was a bit tight, he had to be dialated , so i don't know why you think a 50 is too loose. With a 42 you may have swallowing problems and gas bloat. The wrapping part is just one aspect of the surgery.

Trailerman That 95 percent success rate is deceiving . Most surgeons do not measure their success rates by a complete cure of all symptoms, they meaasure success by an improvement or reduction of symptoms, or absense of anatomic abnormalties. Even if the person still uses PPIS , the surgery can still be technically considered a success .

Comment

Thanks Tricia So Much ,but Do U Think The Sugeant Should Explaine All What U Explained To His Patient Before The Surgery,and Can The Paitent Share The Opinion Before Oparating With His Dr,-- Hey ((can I Use 42 French Bogie ))???i Wish I Had This Info Or The Choice, I Wish U All Guys The Best,

Comment

well even on ppis if it made me feel better to me thats a sucess lol

Hani the stretta has a less than 70 percent chance of working..The Nissen is the gold standard..

I will check out the dr at northwestern

Comment

Hani

Hi Hani It depends what type of fundo the surgeon is doing . Most of the fundos are done short and floppy now to prevent side effects like painful gas bloat , and swallowing problems . Most surgeons do not use smaller than a 50 bougie .

Some surgeons still do the old fashioned non floppy tight fundos , it depends on the surgeon you choose, but 42 sounds too tight. It might make you feel worse.

You need to have a ph test to see if you have reflux and a surgeon to look at your barium swallow and to do your endoscopy to see what he thinks is wrong with your wrap . Even if you can't afford a well known redo surgeon to operate , it would help if you could just pay for someone really knowledgeable like Salky to at least look at your wrap and see what he thinks is wrong.

Comment

TM - when you ask a doc what his success rate is BE SURE TO ASK how long are his patient's are SYMPTOM FREE post surgery. In my case, that was my main reason for the op.

Hinder at Mayo told me 90% of his fundos were still intact 10 years post op. I then asked him if that meant his patient's were symptom free for 10 years. At that point he quit talking to me and only spoke with my husband, changed the subject, and didn't look at me again until we shook hands and said goodbye. You can manipulate statistics all over the board, right?

I have all of the symptoms I did preoperatively, but my fundo is absolutely perfect.

Sorry to jump in here when plicators should be the topic, but I really need you to hear me. b

Comment

Its all good Buffy all I can do is hope for the best?Right

Comment

Working...
                        X