X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Shayward

I had my op on june the 7th.
    The burping is an affect from the operation.
    Is does get less.
    Did you have that awfull pain in your schoulder after the operation?
    I do find it strange the each counrty has different rules.
    One of the dokters that was on the team in 2005 told me one is supposed to stop medication at once, he is one of the Belgium team.
    We have 3 surgens in Holland that now do the operation and all say different things.
    Next week I will be talking to Dr Cadiere as I really want answers to this.
    We all have a check up at 3 months including the awfull tube down and a PH.
    As soon as I stoped my medication all hell came down.
    I have heard it can take upto 3 months untill you can expect results, and they say it gets better.
    Yeah right
    Good news the stiches called ankers will be in a ring about october this year wich means it will bring surgery back in about 30-45 min.
    I have 30 ankers.( stitches)all blue haha thet did"nt have pink
    Shadway how can I contact you as I intend to follow people who have had the operation.

I agree that gerd is caused by some kind of bug as when I got it we all had the flu my son also had gerd that week but his went, mine never did.
    Maybe we are onto somthing here.
    And yes they can redo and ando the esophyx.

Bindy

Comment

The burping is an affect from the operation.
      Is does get less.
      I really hope it does as my burping is so much worse than before I had the operation. Maybe I am burping so much because I am more sensitive at the site they put the stitches in and so get the sensation of wanting to burp much more often.

I have tried ignoring it, but then I start feeling a pain that just gets worse and worse

Did you have that awfull pain in your schoulder after the operation?
      Nope, the only pain I had was in my throat where they pushed the device through, and in my stomach at the site of the stiches. My stomach was very sore for about 3 days but then got much better over time.

I have heard it can take upto 3 months untill you can expect results, and they say it gets better.
      I really hope so, as things seem to be getting worse and worse for me. Last night I had really bad reflux, and I seem to have had it all morning as well.

Good news the stiches called ankers will be in a ring about october this year wich means it will bring surgery back in about 30-45 min.
      I have 30 ankers.( stitches)all blue haha thet did"nt have pink
      What do you meane by "they will be in a ring"?

Also, how do you know what colour yours were?

Shadway how can I contact you as I intend to follow people who have had the operation.
      You can always contact me via this site as I am on this forum fairly often.

I am not sure how to send you my private email address as I don't want to post it on the forum. I trust people on here, you just never know who picks it up and then you get al sorts of rubbish in your inbox.

If any-one knows of a way to send a private email using the forum then please let us know.

I am also keen on keeping track of people who have had the procedure so it would be good to keep in touch.

Comment

All forum user information that has been gathered during registration is kept strictly confidential.

The posting of private information (full names, telephone numbers, e-mail addresses etc to the forum is not allowed for safety reasons. (Contact information for doctors / companies etc is allowed if they have already posted it on their web sites)

We encourage everyone to post their messages to the forum so others can benefit. However we do appreciate that there are times and circumstances that might require a private exchange.

E-mail [email][email protected][/email] with any requests for e-mail addresses. (Both parties must agree to the release of their information) Be sure to include your forum user name.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk View Post
          All forum user information that has been gathered during registration is kept strictly confidential.

The posting of private information (full names, telephone numbers, e-mail addresses etc to the forum is not allowed for safety reasons. (Contact information for doctors / companies etc is allowed if they have already posted it on their web sites)

We encourage everyone to post their messages to the forum so others can benefit. However we do appreciate that there are times and circumstances that might require a private exchange.

E-mail [email][email protected][/email] with any requests for e-mail addresses. (Both parties must agree to the release of their information) Be sure to include your forum user name.
          thanks I sent a mail

Comment

Shayward if your reflex is coming back take you medication !
            You may need less than before so try nexium 20.

The ankers are all blue so they are better to see during the operation at first they were pink what a mess haha

The ankers are put in one at a time lots of work, so when they are in a ring they all go down in one go the surgen can get them from there.
            That way they dont have to go in and out 30 times through the tube.

Bindy

Comment

shayward, how was the last week? are you continuing to heal or have there been setbacks?

Comment

Bad News

Hi Every-one,

Unfortunatly the surgery has not worked on me at all.

My reflux is back full force, i think it might even be worse than before the procedure

Dr Youd is very dissapointed that it has not worked as everything had gone so well during the surgery.

They have said that I can have an endoscopy if I wnat one to see what has happenned inside and to see if the stitches have actually held or if it has fallen apart.

I think I will take them up on the offer. As much as I hate having an endoscopy I really need to know what has gone on in my stomach.

I guess this procedure will not work for every-one.

At the moment I am back on the low carb diet to get things under control, though I also seem to have a stomach bug too so things are not going well.

The only plus is that I have no side effects from the operation so I can swallow easily, no pain and I can burp easily..... too easily unfortunately.

They think it probably stopped my reflux at the beginning due to the swelling at the site which acted as a reflux barrier.

I can still have a Nissen if I want one, but after this experience I realy don't want one. I don't think I could handle it if a Nissen didn't work as well seeing as it is such major surgery and side effects can be severe.

Oh well, back to the old Nexium/Low Carb/etc..........

Comment

I am sorry to hear about the bad results. Was there any talk about re-doing the EsophyX procedure? Did the doctors say what his results have been on other people so far?

Comment

Esophyx procedure

Dear Shayward

I am so sorry this procedure has not worked for you. Please keep us up to date with the results of the Endoscopy & let us know where you go from there.

I was considering the procedure myself, but my symptoms are not reflux just acid that affects my stomach, chest & throat etc. So it would not have helped me.

Maybe the Nissen procedure will be more suitable for you, but can understand you not wanting to consider it at the moment & the side affects are very offputting. Yet Thelmalou said she would have it again. We are all so different & what works for one doesn't for another, unfortunately. The Nissen op. can be reversed though.

I am interested in what you mean by low carb diet, no one has mentioned that to me, just said eat plenty of fresh fruit & vegetables & avoid flour at the moment.

The problem is other than the citrus fruits which are safe to eat!?

I am thinking of you & hope they can help you to get some relief soon

Jenpet

Comment

I asked about a redo of the procedure and they said that while this is possible, Dr Youd did not think it would be ethical at this point to do the procedure again as they have no real evidence that a redo makes any difference at this point. Though perhaps in a year or two when the procedure is more refined and there is more data they can look into a redo.

So far out of the 11 people in the UK part of the study 9 people have had resolution of their symptoms, and 2 people (which includes myself), have had no difference at all.

Perhaps my reflux is not caused by a defect in my LES at all and it is due to something else. Perhaps a food allergy... which I will investigate to at least rule it out.

JENPET, check out the low-carb sub-forum on here. There is a whole bunch of evidence coming out that eating low carb can drastically reduce acid reflux.

Comment

ESOPHYX Procedure

Hi Again

I have often thought the problems are food intolerances, so had a food intolerance test in January that showed up so many different foods, there is hardly anything left to eat now!!! Last year I tested positive for Candida & ignored that & I ignored the food intolerance results as I had no idea what to eat instead, & that is why I am probably suffering like I am now + excessive stress does not help either. All consultants & dr's keep telling me to calm down. Impossible when you are a worrier!!!

If you can ask your GP for a food allergy/intolerance appointment, that could be a start. Then see a Dietician.

I am going to see a Dietician AGAIN. + have had the H Pylori blood, stool & urine test yesterday & have to have an ecograph on my abdomen in 2 weeks.

Its all a process of elimination Shayward, so don't give up keep at it, let's hope we can solve it for both of us soon.

Good Luck

Jenpet

Comment

Hi Shayward, I'm so sorry this was not an effective solution for you. If you could stomach the idea (excuse the pun), I think an endoscopy and ph test will help give you a better picture of where you stand and whether the Nissen will be helpful. Hopefully, as you said, in a year or so they will be willing to do a re-do (which, ironically, is one of the ways they are marketing this product!). Was the low-carb diet helpful for you? If so, perhaps a food allergy test is the way to go (were you tested for celiac's disease?). I hope the Nexium kicks in quickly for you and the symptoms are under control soon. Thank you for all of your posts and for you bravery in entering the trials. Jenn

Comment

Shadway,
                            Did you have the endoscopy yet???

Comment

I'll probably have the endoscopy in October. I'm in no rush to have a another pipe shoved down my throat.

Comment

Originally posted by shayward View Post
                                I'll probably have the endoscopy in October. I'm in no rush to have a another pipe shoved down my throat.
                                LOL i can see your point.

Sorry things have not panned out Shayward . Was looking at the phase 1 trial results and 80 percent were glad they had the procedure and 63 percent had normal ph testing . They call that an 80 percent success rate as most studies go by patient satisfaction , but really i consider it to be 63 percent success rate, as only 63 percent had normal ph results

The success rate is actually similar to the fundo , minus the side effects .I guess you can't compare fundo success rates as millions of fundos have been done.

Maybe the procedure needs to be refined more . One thing they do with a fundo that they cannot address with the esopyhx is reapproximate the crura which is supposed to be an important step to prevent reflux.

Regarding the esophyx Could it have anything to do with the exact spot they place the staples ?

I don't understand Dr Youds statement on why there would be no point in trying it again. What would Dr Youds answer be as to why this procedure works on some and not on others i wonder ? Looking at your ph scores you posted before 8 percent acid exposure is not that bad considering normal is 5 . So why couldn't this procedure help ? Maybe the success stories had milder GERD , or maybe the positive results aren't accurate . Have you talked to the 9 successes ? Thanks for your posts Shayward

Comment

Working...
                                X