No announcement yet.

My EsophyX procedure..9 days post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey there Iva. I have to go and get a follow up Bravo test and another manometry. Not looking forward to them...but it is necessary. I have had some things that are worse post-surgery. I have a lot of pressure in my chest after meals..I've also had some regurgitation issues but it is different than before the procedure. These are episodes that come up to the middle of my throat...where before things came up into my mouth. On the other hand, some things are much better. I never get that awful taste in my mouth every morning. I took tons of PPI's as well as carafate before and still had that. Most of my chest pain is much better than before surgery too. I am still having issues after meals though. That makes me think most of my issues are motility related, but time..amd these next tests..will tell.

Wishing you luck too!

Comment

Short update

Hi Dtanna,

I have been rather busy last month because I had another surgery planned in Taiwan, so ... hope this one has good results...
      As far as my situation is today : I had a barium swallow and that showed that I had no reflux. I still had issues after eating, but after taking my PPI's again that's now much better (not thanks to the doctor ... I'm still waiting for a return call from the assistant... it's 5 weeks later now...)
      I told her I had some blood in the morning in my mouth, about my problems with eating etc., and she was going to call me back about it, but nothing yet, i gave up...)
      So, for the moment I am doing better, much better, some things still give me a heavy stomach (like chocolat, coca cola, hot and spicy), these things I avoid totally... I will just do by myself a new barium swallow in some months,and for the rest I don't contact the doctor anymore. Due to the fact that they asked 300% honour rate instead of 100% like most hospitals do, + the device to pay also, I'm totally broke now ...
      If they first tell you it's one price and afterwards the total price is the double of what you expected, that's for me a not so honest thing then ... but hey, we suffer, and while we suffer, let us more suffer not only taking your health but also taking your money away, that's just the medical maffia nothing to do about that ...

Ok, hope you guys are doing better too, and I think only time will tell...

Greetings;Jurgen

Comment

Hi, DTanna

wonder if u had the Bravo test and the manometry?

It`s been nearly a month after my Esophyx. Still doing ok. Although I can`t be sure before I stop taking nexium, which I dare not do. I think I `m feeling better the days that I take nexium than the days without it, but it could be my imagination.
        One thing is for sure - my LPR sypmtoms are much better - mouth feels cleaner, no globus sensation, better taste in the mouth..

Comment

Hi - My ins co just cleared me for esophyx, so I'm waiting for my surgery date. I have suffered for 3 years now and I'm so happy to have this option available. I have grade IV EV and experience chest pains/globus frequently. Recently had my gallbladder out, too, to see if I would feel any better, and i marginally do. Been on Nexium for 2 years and then when it stopped working went on Aciphex and have been doing ok.

I'm nervous about the recovery - how long was it until you felt "yourself" again? From what I'm reading, it can take up to a week.

Was anyone really nauseus afterwards? I'm nervous about that too, because after my gallbladder operation I threw up for 4 days straight and couldn't take pain meds

Thanks for everyone putting your experiences up here, it really helps me. I hope to do the same after I have mine done in a few weeks.

Comment

Hey jennNYC. Obviously I can only speak from my experience, but I didn't have any physical problems from the procedure. Around my 4th week things started to get worse for me. I don't think it had anything to do with lingering effects from the surgery..just that it was working less effectively as time went by and my old gerd symtoms came back. As far as just the procedure went...I felt very close to normal the next day. Of course everyone is different, and I have had issues with mine not working, but the surgery itself was a snap...never had any nausea issues at all.

Most importantly....good luck!! I hope you have a great result.

Comment

Hi, Jenny

I`m one month post op and doing fine. My globus sensation disppeared completely afre the procedure. I only felt nauseus when I drank tea the night after the operation so my advice is not to eat nor drink anything the same day. I never had any nausea afterwards.
              The pain was strong for a week and wouldn`t go away after taking the ususal painkilers.
              Something crucial for the success of the operation is to follow strictly the diet.
              Good luck and keep us posted1

Comment

hi jennNYC. who are you using for your proceedure? also, may i ask, which insurance do you have? my insurance won't even cover my nexium, much less the esophyx. good luck and please keep us posted.

Comment

Just a quick update. I met with the doc last week and had the manometry and bravo done again. I'm waiting to do a phone consultation to discuss my results, and then plan from there. I also wanted to check in and see everyone else was making out with their experience. Haven't had an update from Iva in a bit..was curious how you are doing. Hope you are all feeling well...will update when the results return.

Comment

Update from myself as well.. I went 1 week ago to have a barium swallow test and it showed no reflux.. after 6 months after my operation, still feels pretty cool.. HAPPY NEW YEAR cuties!

Comment

• to Nevermind

i m gooing under esophyx nxt month.can i know hw u doing now with ur esophyx?plse answer me i m so wory

Comment

• jurgen B

hw do u feel now.plse let me know cze im going under esophyx nxt month.

Comment

• to jennyC

Originally posted by jennNYC View Post
                          Hi - My ins co just cleared me for esophyx, so I'm waiting for my surgery date. I have suffered for 3 years now and I'm so happy to have this option available. I have grade IV EV and experience chest pains/globus frequently. Recently had my gallbladder out, too, to see if I would feel any better, and i marginally do. Been on Nexium for 2 years and then when it stopped working went on Aciphex and have been doing ok.

I'm nervous about the recovery - how long was it until you felt "yourself" again? From what I'm reading, it can take up to a week.

Was anyone really nauseus afterwards? I'm nervous about that too, because after my gallbladder operation I threw up for 4 days straight and couldn't take pain meds

Thanks for everyone putting your experiences up here, it really helps me. I hope to do the same after I have mine done in a few weeks.
                          hello .i hope having good news about ur operation.plse let us know.i m worry about my incoming esophyx.tnxs

Comment

• Hey soliver38 and everyone else. I may not be the best person to reference since you are getting ready to have the esophyx done. I just had all of my post-op testing completed, and am now scheduled to have a nissen (ouch) done in February. In my case, the esophyx failed. There were some unexpected positives as well though. My demeester score did decrease in my latest Bravo. My reflux episodes stayed about the same however. Perhaps the best news was my manometry result. I had previously shown poor motility, and was being advised to have a toupet fundo. I really did not like what I had read about the toupet, and was against having it done. My most recent manometry test came back showing normal results. This made me very happy since I can now have the normal nissen done. It does seem plausible that, while not curing me, the limited improvements gained from the esophyx did help some of my issues. If that was responsible for me being able to have a normal nissen...then I can take something good from the whole experience.

Short summary:

-The esophyx procedure itself was nothing to worry about in my
                            case..easy recovery..no real pain.
                            -The following months were NOT fun at all..I had most of my old symptoms
                            and some new miserable ones..am still on meds..of course my procedure
                            did not work..if it did, or does, I cannot say how it would have gone.
                            -If I had it to do all over again..I obviously would have chosen the
                            nissen fundo in the first place.
                            -If I currently had a family member in a similar situation..I would
                            not advise the esophyx, but suggest they explore more traditional
                            methods.

Good luck with things soliver38..I hope you have a much better result than I did.

Comment

• to Dtanna

hello...and thank you for ur honesty.... i ve read ur reply many times,and it makes me think again n again about esophyx.i am actually reticent and scared....i donno wich decision i can make due ur answer.some other patients said thy r feeling good.some other not......nevermind said her esophyx was a succes.others do not agree with her.... thank you for ur reply.. and wish to u the best.....

Comment

• Nevermind

hello....i hope u wer fullrecovered from ur esophyx.plse keep us informed about hw ur doing right now?ur reply would be great help for us

Comment

Working...
                                X