No announcement yet.

My EsophyX procedure..9 days post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone heard from nevermind and iva, as they have not posted here for quite a while and am wondering how they are progressing after their operation? how did anyone manage to sleep or ly down or sit after their operation? Is anyone able to work due to their condition and after their operation? How long were you all in pain for? how long did you stay in hospital? are you able to eat proper big sized meals? is anyone suffering long term permanent complications after their operation?
    It is a shame that the operation has to be redone as time goes by and there are complications with it because it seems that once people have gerd, then can never be normal like before again. If there was a solution done once with no redos necessary and no complications, but back to normal like before gerd, then good, but sadly, there doesn't seem to be anything. People with gerd have to suffer for the rest of their lives, go through all the pain and suffering and die young, instead of old, even with the operation(s).

Comment

• Well....thanks for that little ray of sunshine desert. I'm gonna go ahead and stick with the glass half full approach, but whatever works for you.

Tricia....I had some qustions that I wanted to ask you. You seem to be a never ending source of info on a lot of these surgical procedures. I was wondering if you had a lot of info compiled on the esophyx procedure...both past and present. If so, I would love the chance to ask you some specifics on info you may have.

Comment

• Yesterday someone mentioned that his nissen lasted for 30 years!!!
        so i joyn jou and also stick with the glas is half full approach

How are you doing DTanna?
        when are you sceduald for the nissen??

Comment

• I'm scheduled for the 10th unless something changes. Please let me know what you find out on Monday. Your paint can episode has me worried!! It seems as if most of the nissen problems I hear are from slipping. I have to admit...that has me worried since I am relatively young and active. Oh well...hope for the best, right!? Part of the reason I looked into the Hill repair was because of the slipping...does the Hill repair have the same potential? Anyone know? Hope you are feeling better than your set back yesterday dutch girl. I'll be hoping you get good news from your doctor!!

Comment

• Dan

Hi D'Tanna The Hill Repair does not slip . It is impossible . At least it always was impossible . I can't be 100 percent sure because surgeons keep changing their technique. Every study i read , the techique has changed .... I guess they are always trying to improve . I am 99.999 percent sure it can't slip .. There are no worries with that.

As for the fundo , there are ways to prevent a slip . If you have a good surgeon there are several operative steps that they specifically do that prevents slips . You should ask him what he does to prevent slips . Experience of the surgeon is really important in preventing slips

In both the Hill and fundo there are herniations . Many of these cause no symptoms . The open repairs seem to last longer than the lap repairs . 2 different techniques . They all loosen a little over time. That is natural. No surgery prevents all reflux . If they do you too tight, then you get side effects and are uncomfortable , so they do allow for some normal reflux . This means that you still may have to watch what you eat just a little bit .

If you are using Dr Jobe for your fundoplication , i am pretty sure he does the Hill repair too . He worked with Dr Aye and has done Hill studies with him . He would be the guy to ask about the Hill . Some surgeons only use the Hill for paraesophageal herniations now. . Not sure what his view is , i think he may be pro fundoplication.... just judging from his articles .... can't say for absolute sure ..... but he would definately be a good person to ask since he is very familiar with both procedures .

As for your questions on the esophyx , fire away , will be happy to give you any info i have access to Best of luck to you by the way . Hope you feel as good as new soon .

Comment

• Hey Tricia...and thanks so much for the info. Dr Jobe is going to do my nissen. I have heard you speak pretty highly of him before so that makes me feel better. It sounds as if you feel that I am in good hands. Also, I have consulted several times with Dr Aye via email as well and for some reason never thought to ask about the Hill slipping. Both Dr Aye and Dr Jobe feel the nissen is a better option for someone who is having an esophyx takedown first. I do feel better now that you have told me there are operation steps which can help to eliminate slipping. I will absolutely speak with Dr Jobe about this ahead of time.

About my esophyx questions...it seems like you have lots of vey valuable information, and I have a lot of things I am trying to find answers to. Without being presumptuous..I was wondering if I could send you a more detailed email through the site moderator. I have a bit of a privacy issue, but would really like your input on a few things. If not..no worries. I think you may be able to help me a bit though.

Again...thanks for the info on the Hill vs Nissen. Very much appreciated!!!

Comment

• Having Esophyx on Tuesday

Hi all,
                Thanks for everyone posting their honest opinions on this board. I have had GERD for 3+ years and been on Aciphex lately (also been on Nexium).

I'm confident in my doctor(s), and hope to have positive results. However, this board has opened my eyes to some potential side effects that my doctor may not have explained fully to me.

I had my gallbladder removed in August and it helped resolve some of my issues. However, I do have occasional bouts of gastritis as well (which, on top of reflux, has been a treat). I have a stressful job that hasn't made my stomach any better either.

I'm having my surgery at St. Vincent's Medical Center in NYC by Dr. Anthony Starpoli (head of the GERD center there) and Dr. Gregory Haber of Lenox Hill Hosp (chief of GI dept). Between the two of them, hoping everything comes as planned. I'll post when I'm home and upright.

Question: What would you say was the main issue post op? Was it the chest pain? Was it the inability to burp?

Thanks!

Comment

• Hey jennNYC. The most annoying part post surgery for me was the constant feeling of having to burp...but then nothing happening. If you have ever had a really big carbonation burp sitting in the middle of your chest and being stubborn to come up....that is what it feels like but lasts for long periods of time. I ended up figuring out that lightly contracting my upper abdominals would help get it to come up. Also, it is really hard to constantly be aware of the lifting restrictions. Lifting only 5 pounds for 2 weeks is not easy....even your overnight bag at the hospital is probably a no go. Definitely get your hands on some Ensure Plus...was a lifesaver for me. It tastes pretty good and has 350 calories per drink. Pour it in a glass if possible...I always ended up swallowing more air when I drank it out of the bottle. Since my surgery did not work, it is tough for me to say what caused a lot of my issues as time went on...but the first 2 weeks post-procedure were not very difficult at all.

Good luck with things....I hope everything goes perfectly for you!

Comment

• questions

Good luck Jenny

Hi D'Tanna I have read a lot of his articles . Dr Jobe is very respected in the field and has worked with the best . In the years i have been on the GERD message boards i have seen only 2 people who have had fundos with him , but both had excellent results . I hope the same for you . I don't know his personal experience in redos after esophyx though . You might want to ask that .

Yes you can most certainly Email your questions . I hope I can be of some help

Comment

• Thanks so much tricia. I will have the board moderator get in touch with you. I really, really appreciate your help!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by DTanna View Post
                        I'm scheduled for the 10th unless something changes. Please let me know what you find out on Monday. Your paint can episode has me worried!! It seems as if most of the nissen problems I hear are from slipping. I have to admit...that has me worried since I am relatively young and active. Oh well...hope for the best, right!? Part of the reason I looked into the Hill repair was because of the slipping...does the Hill repair have the same potential? Anyone know? Hope you are feeling better than your set back yesterday dutch girl. I'll be hoping you get good news from your doctor!!
                        Hi DTanna,

I am sorry that i worried you,i didn`t mean to!!
                        i don`t think you should worrie about anything,by the sound of it your in verry good hands,just hope for the best....you wil be fine!!!
                        sorry for the confusion,i don`t see the doctor tomorow i only wil make a appointment with him to meet him soon.
                        I do feel a litle better now so maybe things are going back to normal again.

Comment

• Hi Jenny,

The main isseu post op for me was chest pain and the inability to burp.
                          but it wil al pas soon,i also took Ensure for a while.

Good luck to you Jenny

Comment

• Desert rose

Originally posted by desert rose View Post
                            has anyone heard from nevermind and iva, as they have not posted here for quite a while and am wondering how they are progressing after their operation? how did anyone manage to sleep or ly down or sit after their operation? Is anyone able to work due to their condition and after their operation? How long were you all in pain for? how long did you stay in hospital? are you able to eat proper big sized meals? is anyone suffering long term permanent complications after their operation?
                            It is a shame that the operation has to be redone as time goes by and there are complications with it because it seems that once people have gerd, then can never be normal like before again. If there was a solution done once with no redos necessary and no complications, but back to normal like before gerd, then good, but sadly, there doesn't seem to be anything. People with gerd have to suffer for the rest of their lives, go through all the pain and suffering and die young, instead of old, even with the operation(s).
                            yes i have heard about nevermind and iva.i think they r feeling great since thy stopeed posting here.Dtanna said to me that nevermind will repost soon.i hope so.not all esophyx failed more than 65% stay feeling good among them i think iva and nevermind.i think i will go under esophyx soon.its less invasive than nissen.i will do it in france where with the doctor who made the esophyx for nevrmind and iva.sure we have solutions for <GERD> dnt be desperate.many solutions r in the way... to help us.good luck

Comment

• Tricia

hello.seeems u have a lot informations about esophyx procedure,plse can u share with ur ur opinions about that? thank you

Comment

• Originally posted by soliver38 View Post
                                yes i have heard about nevermind and iva.i think they r feeling great since thy stopeed posting here.Dtanna said to me that nevermind will repost soon.i hope so.not all esophyx failed more than 65% stay feeling good among them i think iva and nevermind.i think i will go under esophyx soon.its less invasive than nissen.i will do it in france where with the doctor who made the esophyx for nevrmind and iva.sure we have solutions for <GERD> dnt be desperate.many solutions r in the way... to help us.good luck

WOOOOOOOOW SOliver, really! You're a very lucky guy to be operated by that surgeon! He's greatt and handsome! Actually I am doing pretty fine, same as months ago, the gastric content is kept down there. Iva on the other hand says she still feels acid in her mouth, don't know what to say. I wish all could feel like me, good luck Oliver and know you're in the best hands there are! You will feel as great as I do, even after so much time!

Comment

Working...
                                X