Head pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head pressure

I don’t quite know where to post this, but I have a question that I am not finding an answer to on the internet.

Does anyone get head pressure when their hiatal hernia pushes up?

Heartburn has never been much of a problem with me, except when I did not elevate my head, or when I lay back too far after a meal that is too big.
    Now this pressure is happening also with all but very slight exercise (easy walking for 5 minutes seems ok now).

It hit in October out of nowhere – nothing to aggravate it that I can remember. I went outside and bend over to pick up two sticks. All this pressure went to my head and I had to go lay down, put ice pack on my head. (I also drink ice water, as I found years ago that this helped the hiatal hernia when it slid up.
    In November I started exercising on my recumbent bike, very hard the first day (yes, stupid way to start), but only for a few minutes. I also have fibromyalgia and Meniere’s disease, and I learned a long time ago that if I take 2 aspirins immediately after exertion and drink ice water, nothing bad happens.
    Three days in row I did the exercising, the second day I went slower but longer in time.
    Day 2 was very bad, with head pressure (like it would blow up) ear pressure, temple pressure (headache), and when I would get up I would feel somewhat dizzy.

It happened again the other day after only walking too fast leaving Walmart in the rain. That and eating too big a meal in the evening, and chest pressure, cheeks and ear pressure.

I have just had a cardia stress test and echocardiogram and all is fine. I did take my BP when feeling bad and it had spiked to 180/90 – rather freaked me out, but it came down slowly all afternoon. BP is usually in the normal range, so doctor doesn’t want to put me on more BP med for fear it would lower BP too much.
    My doctor does not think it is from hernia because of the head fullness. He will follow-up with a head (maybe neck) MRI. (MRI in 2003 showed 2 small, unspecific lesions and some demyeliation of the deep white matter.)

The only things I know that cause this are exercise (such as it is), and eating too late and too much, and undoubtedly, slumping over the computer. I do keep a log of what I have done and eaten before these episodes, along with taking my BP. I am not taking my pulse because I can usually feel when it gets into the 90s, but probably should.

I’m sorry this is so long.
    I wanted to check with you all as I know people who have certain disorders are better than some doctors at recognizing (from experience) some symptoms.

Thank you all, and I’m sure I’ve TMI’d- too much info given.
    Thanks, Topper

Have you been diagnosed with migraines?

Originally posted by Topper View Post
    I don’t quite know where to post this, but I have a question that I am not finding an answer to on the internet.

Does anyone get head pressure when their hiatal hernia pushes up?

Heartburn has never been much of a problem with me, except when I did not elevate my head, or when I lay back too far after a meal that is too big.
    Now this pressure is happening also with all but very slight exercise (easy walking for 5 minutes seems ok now).

It hit in October out of nowhere – nothing to aggravate it that I can remember. I went outside and bend over to pick up two sticks. All this pressure went to my head and I had to go lay down, put ice pack on my head. (I also drink ice water, as I found years ago that this helped the hiatal hernia when it slid up.
    In November I started exercising on my recumbent bike, very hard the first day (yes, stupid way to start), but only for a few minutes. I also have fibromyalgia and Meniere’s disease, and I learned a long time ago that if I take 2 aspirins immediately after exertion and drink ice water, nothing bad happens.
    Three days in row I did the exercising, the second day I went slower but longer in time.
    Day 2 was very bad, with head pressure (like it would blow up) ear pressure, temple pressure (headache), and when I would get up I would feel somewhat dizzy.

It happened again the other day after only walking too fast leaving Walmart in the rain. That and eating too big a meal in the evening, and chest pressure, cheeks and ear pressure.

I have just had a cardia stress test and echocardiogram and all is fine. I did take my BP when feeling bad and it had spiked to 180/90 – rather freaked me out, but it came down slowly all afternoon. BP is usually in the normal range, so doctor doesn’t want to put me on more BP med for fear it would lower BP too much.
    My doctor does not think it is from hernia because of the head fullness. He will follow-up with a head (maybe neck) MRI. (MRI in 2003 showed 2 small, unspecific lesions and some demyeliation of the deep white matter.)

The only things I know that cause this are exercise (such as it is), and eating too late and too much, and undoubtedly, slumping over the computer. I do keep a log of what I have done and eaten before these episodes, along with taking my BP. I am not taking my pulse because I can usually feel when it gets into the 90s, but probably should.

I’m sorry this is so long.
    I wanted to check with you all as I know people who have certain disorders are better than some doctors at recognizing (from experience) some symptoms.

Thank you all, and I’m sure I’ve TMI’d- too much info given.
    Thanks, Topper

Comment

Head pressure

Thank you for the reply, Kevin.
      No, I have not been diagnosed with migraines.
      At one time, they thought I might be having optical migraines (silent) when checking out Meniere's symptoms -- ruling out MS. But the neurologist ruled those out, too.
      That was in 2002.
      -- Topper

Comment

Does your face flush regularly during these episodes? Do your ears turn red?

Comment

Head pressure

No on the ears. I have never noticed on the face, so I would say no.

Comment

I didn't have this, or if I did, I didn't notice it. I'm not clear how a hiatal hernia "pushes up," as a hernia is a tear in the muscle, rendering it incapable of working correctly -- reason that the LES can't work properly. Any chance this feeling is due to something else entirely, maybe a food allergy?

Comment

Head Pressure

Hi Thistle,
              The computers must be too cold ... I just wrote you, then showed I wasn't signed in and it didn't post.

If you had the head pressure I experienced, you definitely would have known. It is as if someone one is blowing up your head like a balloon.
              I have never heard that hiatal hernia is caused by a tear, but a weakening of the diaphram, allowing food, acid, to leak back into the esophegus (sp). With a sliding hiatal hernia, the actual stomach slips up into the lower part of the esophegus. This pushes up on the organs in the chest.
              As far as allergies go, I can't see how they would only act up during bending over or squating or exercise. I have been tested for allergies. I show no food allergies, just grass, weeds, and tree pollens.
              I do thank you for your thought.
              At this point, I am beginning to believe it is not from hiatal hernia, unless the pressure from the hernia is doing something with the blood flow??
              Last edited by Topper; 01-11-2010, 02:21 PM. Reason: to add another commenet

Comment

A sensation of pressure in the chest is certainly possible with reflux (which is associated with hiatal hernias).

Allergy can cause blood flow changes via histamine release, thus possibly contributing to a feeling of pressure in the head.

Best of luck sorting this out!

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                Hi Thistle,
                The computers must be too cold ... I just wrote you, then showed I wasn't signed in and it didn't post.

If you had the head pressure I experienced, you definitely would have known. It is as if someone one is blowing up your head like a balloon.
                I have never heard that hiatal hernia is caused by a tear, but a weakening of the diaphram, allowing food, acid, to leak back into the esophegus (sp). With a sliding hiatal hernia, the actual stomach slips up into the lower part of the esophegus. This pushes up on the organs in the chest.
                As far as allergies go, I can't see how they would only act up during bending over or squating or exercise. I have been tested for allergies. I show no food allergies, just grass, weeds, and tree pollens.
                I do thank you for your thought.
                At this point, I am beginning to believe it is not from hiatal hernia, unless the pressure from the hernia is doing something with the blood flow??

Comment

Head pressure

Thank you, Kevin. I had no idea that allergies could cause blood flow problems, and could be the cause of this.
                  I thank you, and I thank Thistle for suggesting it also.

I will go ahead with my doctor's recommendation for a brain MRI, hopefully ruling out any problem there.
                  Oh, I would much prefer it to be allergies!

Thanks to all for your help.

Comment

Working...
                  X