X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk
    started a topic Welcome

Welcome

From time to time the topic of Gerd and its relationship to anxiety has been presented on the message board. There has always been a diverse field of opinions on the subject. This forum is not intended to provide space for long running debates. Its main purpose is to provide the listing of various web sites and research that touch on the subject, theories and experiences.

Please adhere closely to the Rules and Regulation when posting to this forum.

• Thistle
    replied
    Not a lot going on with me, GW. I noticed the day after Thanksgiving that I had not over-eaten at all on Turkey Day -- had not even wanted to. It is possible to change one's habits! I'm proud of myself. I hope you were able to have a good holiday, in spite of your mom's health.

Leave a comment:

• GW
    replied
    Originally posted by Thistle View Post
    GW, it is terrific to have you back, but I do apologize for taking a week plus to notice. Do you have any idea how tiring it is to keep saying stuff like, "Well, we used to have a member who was expert in the anxiety aspects of GERD..."? I'm not happy to hear about all the other problems you've had health-wise, but it's good to know that in true GW style, you've managed to conquer them and continue playing those drums.

Hi This!! What's happening up your way? Great to be back here and to perhaps catch up with all. So, yep.....any "anxious gerdies" out there....send them on over!

~Gear

Leave a comment:

• Thistle
    replied
    To GW

GW, it is terrific to have you back, but I do apologize for taking a week plus to notice. Do you have any idea how tiring it is to keep saying stuff like, "Well, we used to have a member who was expert in the anxiety aspects of GERD..."? I'm not happy to hear about all the other problems you've had health-wise, but it's good to know that in true GW style, you've managed to conquer them and continue playing those drums.

Leave a comment:

• GW
    replied
    The Hawkster!

Originally posted by Hawk View Post
    Hi GW

Good to see you back on the forum and that you are doing so well. You have been missed!
    Hey there Hawk man! Wow...it has been quite a handful of events some stressful, some great....as per "life" right? I had triple bypass surgery two years ago, a small stroke (TIA) four months after that and now we're dealing with my mom who lives with us for her chemotherapy sessions as she's just been diagnosed with lung cancer. BUT!....on the flip side, I now am a member of an art gallery over on the coast and I'm following my passion of fine art. Also, still playing drums and singing in a band. Oh...and still making a sign or two out of a garage business. All this on a Social Security budget forced upon me from the discovery of that BAV (bicuspid aortal valve) I was born with. WHEW! What a complicated "patient" I truly am! But, you all knew that already....right? LOL :P
    Any word in the last few years from Hallsy?
    Thanks and glad to see you still running one of the best message boards ever. A true life-saver (or at least an anxiety saver) you are!

~Gear

Leave a comment:

• Hawk
    replied
    Hi GW

Good to see you back on the forum and that you are doing so well. You have been missed!

Leave a comment:

• GW
    replied
    Long Time No See!

Hey y'all,
    At the prompting of Suzanne, I've been stalked, flagged down, and coerced into returning to the HH board. Things are still going very well for me. And YES, I still have control over my old GERD problem in that I no longer have it! I have medical proof with two endoscopic procedures in the last 7 years that shows zero inflammation and no damage or loose LES......STILL! So, this ol' "anxiety~gerder" is gooder'n ever! lol So, fire away any question anyone may have.

~G.

ps....is my ol' buddy Hallsy still out there too?

Leave a comment:

• suzygil
    replied
    Long time undiagnosed

Hi Dorothy,
    I was recently diagnosed after a couple of years of trying to get my doctor to listed to my symptoms. She would just shake her head and say "COPD, too bad you smoked cigarettes for so many years." As a newby, I am curious: I was diagnosed by an ENT, who said my internist would prescribe the appropriate medication. My internist prescribed nexium (gave me headaches) and told me to go see a gastroenterologist. My pulmonologist recommended medication and told me to have my internist prescribe. My long question in a nutshell: WHAT KIND OF DOCTOR is best for GERD, especially LPR?

Originally posted by dorothy3574 View Post
    Hi GW,

Just wanted to thank you again for your well-thought out response. Just the fact that I have found "others" after 2 1/2 years is making me feel better. I have been suffering "undiagnosed" for so long that I lose hope every once in a while. I'm just tired of fighting it and of seeing doctors.

I will keep you informed and I'm glad to have found this site.

Thank you again - be well

Dot

Leave a comment:

• izeedeee
    replied
    Hi GW,

Thank you for your reply. It certainly helps to konow that you arent alone. Doctors just don't get how this effects your entire life. Fortunately, (for me, not for him) my cardio suffers from occasional minor reflux symptoms so he has an inkling. I'm happy I found you felas and i'll be checking in now and then so we can share insights and experiences.

Good luck and thanks again,

izeedeee

Leave a comment:

• GW
    replied
    Welcome

Hi Izzeedee,

Yes, most of us have had what you are describing. What you may be experiencing is the esophageal flutters that come from the sometimes constant spasms associated with this stuff. The skipped heartbeat feeling may be just that...... a "feeling"...... due to the "flutters" of the spasms. And since your cardio folk have checked you out this may be a good answer for you.

However, aren't they the worst feelings? They are quite frightening and can cause anxiety in the strongest and most steadfast of us. There has also been extensive study on heartburn and it's relationship to the Vagus nerve. And that "wandering" nerve ("vague" thus the root term) runs all over the place and affects several different tissues and organs. And it can be different in every other person. Here's just one of many spots to read about it ... [url]http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=7631[/url]

Hope we and all of this helps in your journey with this "GERDville" syndrome..... to not only give you a better handle on your medical plan but also to calm your feelings over it and gain a modicum of peace. Something we all need in order to carry on our various callings in life.

All the best! and a HEARTFELT WELCOME again!

~Gear

Leave a comment:

• izeedeee
    replied
    GERD hell

Hi all,
    I just discovered this forum and I'm happy I did. My story: I have been suffering through GERD hell for the last 12 years. I control it (or try to) with Nexium, raised bed, decent diet and exercize. However, for the last two years i have been getting a symptom that is driving me crazy. Every few months, i have an episode of alomost constant gas pressure in the upper chest area with alot of belching, noisy gas rumblings up and down the esophagus and missed heartbeats. Cardiologist tells me I'm fine and the missed beats are due to the gastro issues. Once these episodes start they last for SEVERAL WEEKS!!! Anyone else suffer from this? Anyone with any helpful info?
    Good day to you all,
    izeedeee

Leave a comment:

• dorothy3574
    replied
    Thank You!

Hi GW,

Just wanted to thank you again for your well-thought out response. Just the fact that I have found "others" after 2 1/2 years is making me feel better. I have been suffering "undiagnosed" for so long that I lose hope every once in a while. I'm just tired of fighting it and of seeing doctors.

I will keep you informed and I'm glad to have found this site.

Thank you again - be well

Dot

Leave a comment:

• GW
    replied
    Originally posted by dorothy3574 View Post
    I am going to make an appt. to see my gastro guy again, but who do you suggest I go to for anxiety? My general dr? I suppose he will be able to refer me to someone in any case.
    The normal protocol around here is to see your general doctor for anxiety problems. If you are up late at nights worrying about this or can't function normally during your regular work day, it's considered a serious general medical problem.

I will do my normal "warning" about Xanax (alprazolam) and say that it, like all Benzodiazapines, are habit forming. That is why I've never taken more than the "entry level" doses and only 1x per day...usually at night....or I've broken it in half and taken one in the day for normal day-to-day stress and then the other just before bedtime. The 1/4 mg of this stuff didn't even seem like I was taking anything at all....and that's what I wanted since I'm very sensitive to most meds. Plus, I'm a scardy-cat of drugs.

Your doctor may perscribe an SSRI instead stating that the "anxiety relief properties" in an anti-depressant will calm you "eventually". However, as in my case, the anti-depressants actually MADE me more nervous. So, they also suggest (at times) that people take both meds to start off with since the side effects of both will offset one another. (which I thought sounded dumb at first).

At any rate, check with your doc and good luck with your path to wellness!

(I say "luck" because as most things in life ....this CAN be sort of a "crap shoot" )

~Gear

Leave a comment:

• dorothy3574
    replied
    keep fingers crossed...

Hi GW -

I'm so glad that you wrote back - I've been reading your threads for the past week and I was hoping that you would be one of the people to respond to my plea. You seem to be quite knowledgable and experienced with all of this...

I am going to make an appt. to see my gastro guy again, but who do you suggest I go to for anxiety? My general dr? I suppose he will be able to refer me to someone in any case.

Thank you again for your advice - i will let you all know how this turns out. Hopefully a happy ending.

Dorothy

Leave a comment:

• GW
    replied
    Originally posted by CHALUPA View Post
    Gw,
    I have read alot of your posts in the past. I just have one question have you had the breathing problems caused by all of this? and when you get rid of the stress did theat go too??
    Hi Chalupa,

I have never had any breathing problems. However, with a full on panic attack breathing can be a chore with most cases I've heard about. But, as far as respitory problems with GERD/Asthma symptoms.....not in my case.

Thanks for reading about my "journey" with anxiety/GERD. Hope some of it has helped... as I was helped by my friend Hallsy, whom I met on this message board, in relation to all things "anxious".

~Gear

Leave a comment:

Working...
X