What Are These Weird Flutters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Are These Weird Flutters?

Since Nov., I have been experiencing strange flutter-like "vibrations" slightly to the left of my breastbone, under the diaphragm area. I had an upper endoscopy which showed no erosions or other abnormalities. My gastroenterologist thinks this is my esophagus twitching due to acid reflux irritation & is trying PPIs...Prevacid seemed to make the "burbles" as I call them about 25% better, but it made me really nauseated. He switched me to Nexium, 40-mg. capsule, 1/day. I put them on my shelf & decided to try O-T-C stuff & natural remedies for awhile instead. But the flutterings worsened. I just started the Nexium 5 days ago...no real help yet, but hoping. Does anyone else here experience these "vibrations" in that same area? Did you ge ta disgnosis/treatment that worked? I wonder if the actual LES is twitching? THese aren't classical esophageal spasms---no chest pain or swallowing trouble. If the Nexium doesn't help, I may have to haul myself to the Cleveland Clinic. It is such a mystery! Stress seems to aggravate them, and I sure am stressed!

Thanks,
    Maggie C.

I don't know what could be causing them... But I'm having sort-of the same thing. Along with various other gastro-intestinal discomfort and heartburn I've been having recently, I've also often felt weird "vibrating", almost "buzzing" feelings over my chest and stomach area. No idea what's causing them yet, hopefully when I go in for GI exams in a couple weeks I'll be able to find out. If I find what the cause is I'll be sure to post here; although mine aren't exactly in the same place as yours.

Comment

I don't know what could be causing them... But I'm having sort-of the same thing. Along with various other gastro-intestinal discomfort and heartburn I've been having recently, I've also often felt weird "vibrating", almost "buzzing" feelings over my chest and stomach area. No idea what's causing them yet, hopefully when I go in for GI exams in a couple weeks I'll be able to find out. If I find what the cause is I'll be sure to post here; although mine aren't exactly in the same place as yours.

EDIT: I'll also add that I too am under a lot of stress and my doctor thinks I may have general anxiety, so that could very well be the cause.

Comment

For you Maggie

I have brought up an old discussion under General discussion titled Can Someone Help. You may find this might help you.

[url]http://forums.heartburn-help.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1843[/url]

Shelley

Comment

Flutters

I also get those weird flutterings in that position. They're not painful though. It's almost like a buzzing. I am waiting for an endoscopy, because I get severe heartburn and a feeling that I haven't quite swallowed my food, plus a lump in my throat. I guess it's all connected. Like the previous post though, I do suffer from severe anxiety and so sometimes it's difficult to figure out what's happening. I'll speak to my consultant when I see him and ask, for you.

Comment

Could it be palpitations? I know a lot of people call palpitations "flutters". Palpitations are nothing serious (unless it's happening non-stop) and mostly occur when we get excited or during stress.

I get them because I have a slight Mitral Valve Prolapse (a pretty benign heart abnormality).

Sometimes it's really confusing which part of the body is actually bothering us.

Comment

I do get palpitations constantly. I'm almost used to them by now. The vibration thing is different. It's softer and it's almost like a buzzing. I know that sounds odd. It's also in a different position. Not in the chest really. Mostly below the ribs, on one of the sides.

Comment

THanks to all!

..especially you, Shelly! I went to the link you gave & was amazed at all the fellower burblers (I cal them burbles, but they seem the same as flutters). I and my doctors say it's not my heart --I've felt my heart flutter & it isn't the same or in the same spot. Mine is either below the breastbone , top of stomach area or a little to the left. It is relieved by burping. When I can burp or pass intestinal gas freely, the flutters/burbles are kept at bay. I'm on Nexium & use lots of anti-gas stuff--Phasyme, Beano, Gas-Ex, etc. These seem to be helping.
                Tons of hugs, you guys!
                Maggie C.

Comment

Those darn flutters

Hi all.
                  I get those too, but recently found out what mine are. Trust me, I've had and still have my fair share of esophageal spasms, so I know the difference. My flutters are actually stomach spasms as I strongly suspect (and my GI as recently as today finally agrees) that I have delayed stomach emptying or gastroparesis. I am finally going to get the gastric emptying study done!!!! Yay, eh Tricia? My GI explained to me that the flutters as I explained them to him, slightly to the left of my breastbone, under the diaphragm area, are classic stomach spasms which are a symptom of gastroparesis. Here is info he gave me which is matched on the link I found below this info:

Signs and symptoms of gastroparesis are

heartburn
                  nausea
                  vomiting of undigested food
                  an early feeling of fullness when eating
                  weight loss
                  abdominal bloating
                  erratic blood glucose levels
                  lack of appetite
                  gastroesophageal reflux
                  spasms of the stomach wall
                  These symptoms may be mild or severe, depending on the person

[url]http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gastroparesis/index.htm#sym[/url]
                  Also, the vibrating or "shock" type feeling-me too. There were times when the phone would ring or our door buzzer would go off and I'd feel the shock sensation in my sides and be real jumpy. All I can say is I have shared this with fellow GP sufferers on another board and have got a lot of replies saying the same. My GI says nerve endings in the stomach wall can be the cause and is checking into that one more for me.
                  Hope this helps. Take care
                  Jerry

Comment

Hey there Maggie May

I just love that ol' Rod Stewart song!

On the flutters: Take it from an old timer who had GERD symptoms something fierce for five straight years....."flutters", "buzzing" as well as twitching were all apart of the symptom baggage I carried around and the words "esophageal spasms" were always the main topic of conversation amongst the MDs and Gastrointerologists while diagnosing me. Even if they don't "see" any inflammation in there a person can suffer from what is called Sensitive Esophagus, where even the GAS from the acid coming up through the Lower Esophageal Sphincter can irritate it enough to make all kinds of interesting pops, buzzes and twitches happen. No fun at all....!

Oh, yeah, there also comes a series of sharp quick pains that like to radiate through the breast bone (sternum) area. That's always a lovely one, since it's the one that has the capacity to mimick heart attack-like pains. If you do get angina pains (chest burning) that comes when walking up a flight of steps or something equally as demanding.....and the pain only goes away from sitting and resting.....be sure to tell your doctor IMMEDIATELY. Even though heart attacks last a lot longer and grow in severity of pain, accompanied by sweating, dizziness, ALL the color leaving the face and limb pain.....take any chest pains as warning signs and follow directions of your doc or the ER folks if you need to call in an emergency.

I know all about the the pains of GERD and what a real heart attack feels like now. I had one two 1/2 months ago. , but....feeling fine now.

GW

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks, and keep us up-to=date everybody, on your test results, etc., as we try to learn more about the causes of the flutters/burbles!
                      Maggie C.

Comment

[i]Originally posted by GW [/i]
                        [B]Hey there Maggie May

I just love that ol' Rod Stewart song!

Even if they don't "see" any inflammation in there a person can suffer from what is called Sensitive Esophagus, where even the GAS from the acid coming up through the Lower Esophageal Sphincter can irritate it enough to make all kinds of interesting pops, buzzes and twitches happen. No fun at all....!

GW [/B]
                        THanks...I do believe abdominal gas definitely figures into all this. Since going on Nexium, 16 days ago, the burbles/flutters in my lower esophagusseem about 1/3 better except when reclining...even if it's been 3+ hours since I had a meal. Did you find anything that helped your twitches?

Maggie C.

Comment

[i]Originally posted by maggie c. [/i]
                          [B] Did you find anything that helped your twitches?

Maggie C. [/B]
                          Yes.....when I started taking Xanax, a mind-altering psychotropic drug in the benzodiazapine class......it stopped my twitches, buzzes, and bells going off almost immediately. This drug has many benefits.....one of which is a muscle relaxant.

But, this is just what I found.....your case, as I've always said to everyone here....may be totally different.

Hoping you find your path to wellness,

G

Comment

Hi all,
                            This fluttering or twitching is a new addition to my symptoms too since about the last month. I have been on Nexium 2x/day since January for LPR. It has helped the LPR significantly, but unfortunately, I need to stay on the 2x/day dose . (I tried to go without it for a week and my throat pain started coming back).

I have futtering quite often now. Mostly it seems when I sit down. It not only flutters, but now and then it feels like a small punch or flipflop--almost like when my babies would kick me inside. Mine is always below my right rib area near the sterum.
                            I know it is not a PVC--I have had those for many years. They flutter in my chest and make me cough. Not sure if the flutters are food related or not. These are cerrtainly not painful, but can be annoying!

Another thing to bring up at my next GI visit.

Comment

Betsy

I always had trouble describing my flutters and that was the only way I could describe them. Just like when a baby moves inside when you are pregnant. I used to get them when my food won't go down and it goes back up the esophagus like bending, crouching, when things are all scrunched up. It has been 5 years since I first experienced them and it has just been in the last couple of weeks that we have found out what they are. Myself and my cardiologist both believe I am right, It is not my heart but my esphagus.

Shelley

Comment

Working...
                              X