The All-Natural Regimen That Has Helped My Reflux Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les

Any examples / instances of patients whose LES has started to function normally again? Or this is a biological impossibility that is set in stone?

My GERD/LPR was detected early enough .... (1 month) - so do I have a hope that my LES will start to function normally again?

Comment

• No one really knows the answer to that. Doctors don't know what the root cause(s) is(are) and they don't treat the root cause. They treat the symptoms (with PPI's - and if PPI's don't work for you, too bad). Therefore, currently, the only way to "make your LES better" is with surgery.

By getting yourself better via natural means, eventually, you could try to add back in certain foods, etc., and see how you do. You'll either be able to or you won't. You have to think in terms of lifestyle changes for life.

Comment

• Acidgone

Has anyone tried this product: acidgone? Is it worth giving it a try?

Comment

• I'm just bumping this thread up due to lots of questions today.
          And yes, I'm still following everything I said in this thread and no, I didn't CURE my GERD, I just got it under control and I feel good.

Comment

• I'm still here and I'm fine, thanks!

Hi All!
            I haven't been around in awhile - I'm caregiving for a sick family member and it takes up all of my time. What's pretty amazing, though, considering the incredible stress I've been under, I still have the GERD under really good control.
            I still do ALL of the things that I mentioned throughout this thread - and it's been 3-1/2 years since I started doing all this. Once in a while, I get mild heartburn. That's it. Oh, I do still occasionally get mild wheezing, too. Never figured out that one. But if this is all I get for the rest of my life, I'll be a very happy girl.
            It works. Stick to it. It really works. I'm FINE.
            I wish the same for all of the rest of you.
            -NYer

Oh...and I just noticed that this thread has had well over 30-thousand hits!! Obviously there are a helluva lot of people who want a NATURAL way to fix their Reflux issues. It works.

Comment

• Sudarshan Kriya Yoga

That's great to hear NYer! It gives the rest of us hope!

As far as my symptoms go .. they have been changing / getting better:
              - My throat has become much better .. almost no ache/pain now - just occasional slight discomfort.
              - I do continue to get the uncomfortable rising of the acid feeling in the chest during the day - however, it is not painful - but more of a discomfort and annoyance. The intensity and frequency of this continues to go up and down - some days better - other days not so.
              So, it seems to me now that I have more of GERD like symptoms now and not the LPR like symptoms that I experienced earlier this year .. and I suspect I've had mostly GERD all along - with more extra-esophageal symptoms (throat, mouth) before.

I haven't gone back to see Dr. Koufman since she told me that she can not really help me since I can not take any medications at all. I go to a new GI now - who scoped me and gave me the pH and manometry again and they all came back normal. Plus, I go to a local ENT who promises that he'll continue to monitor my throat once every 3-4 months or so - to track how I continue to do (I will be going to see him next week).

1) In terms of the meds - I am not taking any (as you all know, I can not - as they give me terrible side effects).

2) In terms of the natural things - I've added breathing exercises. I've been doing "pranayam" yoga and meditation every day since the 3rd week of September or so - and I've been seeing a lot of benefits from these. In fact, I noticed quick improvements in my throat symptoms in 2-3 weeks of doing these. I took Art Of Living course and have been practicing the "sudarshan kriya" every day and go for the weekly kriyas. Further, I added Yoga Nidra and other types of meditation techniques that I do over the weekends. The rhythmic breathing seems to help the internal organs to calm down and come to a balance. Immediately after the kriya I feel better - I just hope the effects continue to add up over time.

3) I am careful with my diet - but occasionally indulge in half a cookie or some cream-cheese on a bagel. I've been taking DGL, George's Aloe Vera, Axia3, Fennel seeds, carrot/cabbage juice, turmeric+honey, mango regularly. My GERD seems to be more a result of the transient LES relaxations and digestive enzymes don't seem to make that much difference.

I am certainly not asymptomatic, but feel that I am much better than what I was back in the summer. It is very strange - when I have symptoms I feel that this will never go away ... and when I get relief, I feel I will be able to conquer this thing. So, I continue to battle this thing ... but I am hoping I will win it all some day!

Hope, everyone continues to feel better and have a happy thanksgiving!

Comment

• Nyer or anyone else? Wondering if have tried or know anything about using Baking Soda and or carnosine. These are a couple of things that were recommended to me

thanks

Comment

• Forget about baking soda. It's sodium bicarbonate - very high in sodium, which is a problem for many people. Other than that, you'll let out a big burp because it temporarily neutralizes your stomach acid. You might have some relief for 15 minutes or so. But it's not a help for GERD or LPR in the long run (longer than 15 minutes).

Zinc in combination with L-Carnosine is recommended for stomach issues. It's marketed as PepZin. I took it for a long time but I can't honestly say if it helped or not. Ultimately, my Naturopath was concerned about my supplementing with Zinc for so long. I don't remember why, though. But I stopped taking it. I see no reason why you can't give it a shot for a while but I would just take it for a few months.

Comment

• Well i'm back- sort of

managed to lose 10lbs although there is still much left to lose

I was wondering NYer do you eat any white rice?

Also I know you don't drink coffee, but have you considered cold-brewed coffee perhaps?

Comment

• Hi Mike,
                      No I don't eat white rice. I avoid processed carbohydrates. They have no nutritional value. White rice isn't an issue for me as far as GERD but I have type 2 diabetes, which I control strictly with my diet.
                      Coffee? Why even take the risk. Coffee is such a major GERD trigger for SO MANY people (myself included). I see no reason whatsoever to screw around with that. It doesn't matter how it's brewed. If you want caffeine, try tea, but the truth is that black tea is also acidic and a very likely GERD trigger. I haven't had any kind of coffee or black tea in four years and I don't plan to ever have them again. I completely cut out things like that from my diet. And it worked. And not having reflux is more important to me than getting a jolt from caffeine or enjoying a delicious pizza but suffering like hell afterwards. You have to choose your priorities and make decisions about what you're willing to give up to feel better.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYer View Post
                        Hi Mike,
                        No I don't eat white rice. I avoid processed carbohydrates. They have no nutritional value. White rice isn't an issue for me as far as GERD but I have type 2 diabetes, which I control strictly with my diet.
                        Coffee? Why even take the risk. Coffee is such a major GERD trigger for SO MANY people (myself included). I see no reason whatsoever to screw around with that. It doesn't matter how it's brewed. If you want caffeine, try tea, but the truth is that black tea is also acidic and a very likely GERD trigger. I haven't had any kind of coffee or black tea in four years and I don't plan to ever have them again. I completely cut out things like that from my diet. And it worked. And not having reflux is more important to me than getting a jolt from caffeine or enjoying a delicious pizza but suffering like hell afterwards. You have to choose your priorities and make decisions about what you're willing to give up to feel better.
                        Hi again. I added the white rice because its gluten free. I don't eat much of it though. Usually just stick to sweet potatoes and taro.

The reason I asked about coffee is because, with this method I can actually drink a cup or two per day without any problems. I usually don't drink it because its such a significant GERD trigger. Same with tea

btw roobius tea is much tastier when it is consumed hot/warm. Iced isn't as good

Comment

• ALL rice is gluten free. White rice is processed and has no nutritional value. Eat wild or brown rice.
                          Rooibos tea is great iced if you add manuka honey. Also, I've had it as blueberry rooibos iced tea which was excellent.

Comment

• oh blueberry infused rooibos tea? that sounds really good

Comment

• Hi, NYer and thanks for this informative thread

I'm new to the forum, and this thread gives me hope for treating my LPR naturally (at least I'm fairly certain that's what I have; I haven't undergone any of the testing yet). The feeling of a lump in my throat and the mucous have been helped by following your all-natural regimen, NYer. I'm wondering, do you take the 1/4 tsp. calcium citrate once or twice a day? And what dose of magnesium citrate do you take? Do you take them at the same time or different times throughout the day?

Comment

• I'm new to the forum, and this thread gives me hope for treating my LPR naturally (at least I'm fairly certain that's what I have; I haven't undergone any of the testing yet). The feeling of a lump in my throat and the mucous have been helped by following your all-natural regimen, NYer. I'm wondering, do you take the 1/4 tsp. calcium citrate once or twice a day? And what dose of magnesium citrate do you take? Do you take them at the same time or different times throughout the day?
                                Hi Snow,
                                I'm glad to hear that it's helping you!
                                I don't take Magnesium Citrate. I take a Cal-Mag supplement. The amount of magnesium should be half of the amount of the Calcium. So, for example, if you take 1000 mg of Calcium, you should take 500 mg of Magnesium. It's a 2:1 ratio.
                                If you take the Magnesium and Calcium separately, you might want to try Magnesium Glycinate or Malate rather than Citrate. Some of the Citrate formulas are kind of acidic. But there are some that contain all three versions mixed together and those never bothered me.

As far as the calcium, I was doing that twice a day for awhile and then went to once a day. But for quite awhile now, I've been using a Liquid Cal/Mag formula that I like. That said, I've been doing really well GERD-wise for a long time now. The recommendation to take the Calcium Citrate powder was pretty specific so I followed that.

But now, instead of that I take the following, daily:
                                Seroyal Cal Mag Liquid 2.
                                One Tablespoon contains 600 mg of Calcium Carbonate and 300 mg of Magnesium Hydroxide (plus 100 mg of Vitamin D). You have to refrigerate it after it's opened. It tastes good and is very easy to take. In fact, on the occasion that I do have mild heartburn, I sometimes take it sort of like an antacid. After all, Tums is just Calcium Carbonate. So it's similar in that regard. But as all of us know, that only helps the heartburn for about 3 minutes.

That said, I can't tell you that this accomplishes the same thing as the Calcium Citrate powder as far as helping to tighten up the LES. I have no idea if either works for that truly. But since I do have to take a calcium supplement anyway, I prefer this choice now for myself, given my current state of GERD. By the way, I don't depend on that 100mg of Vitamin D to be my full "D" supplement. I also take 2000 IU daily of a vitamin D supplement. If your Vitamin D level is low, you should take even more than that (4,000-6,000 daily for about two months and then get your levels re-checked).

Anyway, the Seroyal product is a little bit harder to find - it's not usually in the local stores but you can find it online easily. And it's not cheap.

I hope this all helps.
                                Best,
                                NYer

Comment

Working...
                                X