No announcement yet.

The All-Natural Regimen That Has Helped My Reflux Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for your quick response, NYer. I got some calcium citrate powder, and have magnesium citrate on order. So for now I will probably use that but keep the Seroyal liquid in mind for later. So assuming I would use 1/4 tsp. of the calcium citrate, should I use 1/8 tsp. of the magnesium? It's probably more complicated than that, right? The last time I had my Vit D level checked, it was okay; but I take a 1,000 IU supplement daily.
    Last edited by suzy snowflake; 01-06-2012, 04:52 PM. Reason: entered "mg" instead of "IU"

Comment

• So assuming I would use 1/4 tsp. of the calcium citrate, should I use 1/8 tsp. of the magnesium?
      No.
      You have to see how many milligrams of calcium are in 1/4 tsp (check the bottle) and then take half of THAT number for the number of milligrams of magnesium. You can't go by the physical amount of the powder or liquid or whatever you're taking.

Comment

• Hi again Nyer

may I ask what your diet is like these days?

Comment

• Nothing has changed in my diet except that I noticed that I have no problem with ice cream. Interesting because I'm somewhat lactose intolerent with cheese and other dairy products, so I avoid them. Also, the ice cream is soothing on the occasion that I get any heartburn! Although it's my favorite food, this is not a good thing because I'm diabetic and have no business eating it and also because I love it too much and it makes me gain weight. But I digress... the rest of my diet is the same as I've described earlier in this thread. I'm very careful about what I eat.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYer View Post
            No.
            You have to see how many milligrams of calcium are in 1/4 tsp (check the bottle) and then take half of THAT number for the number of milligrams of magnesium. You can't go by the physical amount of the powder or liquid or whatever you're taking.
            Thanks for your answer, NYer! I haven't received the magnesium yet (it's on order through Amazon) so I don't know how the mg/dose compare with the calcium yet. I really appreciate you and the other members of this board; it's great to be able to come here and get helpful info.

Comment

• Suzy,
              When I was at my wits' end and - feeling horrible and didn't know what to do - I found this board to be a great help and it helped to calm me down a lot, knowing that so many other people were going through the same thing with useless doctors.
              So I feel I'm "paying it forward" to try to make sure no one else has to go through that horror on my watch if I can do anything to help.
              Best,
              NYer

Comment

• Keep elevated when you sleep

Hi All,
                I signed on to post some info and just noticed that this thread has had about 35,000 hits!!! THIRTY-FIVE THOUSAND!! Too bad I don't get a dollar for each hit.
                I certainly hope that a lot of those people found relief from stuff I've said here over the past few years.

Anyway, what I came to say is this:
                A few times this week, I wasn't sleeping really well because I've been dealing with a tremendous amount of stress lately. So I decided that I'd sleep better if I took the wedge out and slept on my side with my arm and leg draped over my guy. I knew I'd fall asleep much quicker - that's my favorite and most comfortable position. (Mind you, I have bad shoulders so this was a bad idea on so many levels - but I was in a "the hell with it all" mood and decided that's what I was going to do.)

I woke up in the middle of the night coughing. Had to sit up for awhile till it died down. Got the wedge and went back to sleep and was OK. Obviously the coughing was from Reflux.
                Tried it again the next night. But this time I figured I'd sleep on my back without the wedge. (I'm an idiot sometimes.)
                Woke up coughing again. Sat up for awhile again, got the wedge again. All was OK.
                Slept with the wedge last night like I have every other night for the past 4 years. No coughing.
                Duuh. The cough was from reflux. Sleeping flat is a bad idea.

So, this really proves that no matter how well controlled the GERD is, it's still there. And I (we all) have to just keep doing what we're doing. Maybe I just have a loose sphincter (HEY! Not THAT sphincter!!). Let me re-phrase that, perhaps my Lower Esophageal Sphincter is loose and hangs open at night. Therefore, I'll have to sleep with my upper half elevated for the rest of my life (unless I want surgery, which I don't). Am I thrilled about that prospect? No. I'd love to sleep like a regular person. Nevertheless, my point here is that just that one change in your life, if you do nothing else as far as changing your diet, obviously makes a huge difference in what symptoms we'll suffer or not suffer from GERD. So I'm willing to keep doing it.

And for those of you that didn't read through this entire thread, I mentioned earlier in the thread what kind of wedge I use. It has an inch of memory foam on the top and it's extra long. I don't like the short wedges - I seem to work my way down to the bottom of the wedge during the night, rendering it pretty useless. My favorite choice would be an adjustable bed instead of the wedge but, as I've mentioned here, my apartment is too small for anything bigger than a full-size bed and that wouldn't work out for my sleeping partner.

One day when I'm rich and have a bigger place, I'll get two twin adjustable beds together and I can adjust myself and not him and I'll be happy.
                Till then, keep your upper half elevated and you will absolutely notice an improvement in your GERD.

Happy Mardis Gras!
                -NYer

Comment

• NYer,

Yes, I agree with you about the wedge pillow. Sleeping on a wedge and switching from sleeping on my right side to my left side made a profound difference. I have to take the wedge with me when I travel, but it's well worth it.

I went from only being able to eat a few bites of food at a meal to being able to eat normal-sized portions again. I have to watch what and how much I eat and know my triggers (chocolate is the one of the biggest for me, I'm sorry to say!) but I have an appetite again.

Comment

• Hi Suzy!
                    Good to hear that you noticed the same thing I have. And yes, I have backup wedges to travel with - and if I'm flying somewhere and staying there for a while, I end up buying another one locally. Seems ridiculous but we do what we gotta do.
                    Yeah, it sure does suck about the chocolate. On the plus side, I find ice cream very soothing.
                    -NYer

Comment

• Hello everyone, I'm new around here and like all of you suffer from Acid Reflux. I guess it all started around 2005. I'd suffer with heartburn on occasion and eventually it became everyday. I just got to the point where I couldn't stand it. My doctor put me on Prevacid. Well, it worked but eventually it didn't seen as effective as time went on. So, I switched to Nexium and it seemed to do the trick. I could eat anything, it was great. That was about 2 yrs ago and since last October I've noticed flare ups that come and go. I'll admit, my diet was not very good. I would drink pop like water and eat anything and everything. I still continued to do this after my flare ups went away. Big mistake, my acid reflux came back after awhile and I'm having trouble getting it to go away. I will say this, it's not a really bad burning sensation at all. It's not like having lava in my throat but just a slight burning sensation to annoy me. It's just below or right in the middle of my Adams apple area. Sometimes it's accompanied with burps but not always. I sometimes have slight pressure in my throat. I had a similar feeling a couple years ago when I switched to Nexium. Was told I had a sinus infection and after taking some medication it all got better. I'm just wondering if it's acid reflux or sinus. Maybe both? For the last month or so I have been eating healthy. Haven't even had a pop. I can honestly say it's gotten better, however, I still suffer some. Since changing my diet I find myself getting hungry a lot. If I don't eat I tend to get heartburn too. So, between that and food causing my heartburn it just seems like I can't win sometimes. Also, I will add that I do suffer from ocd, anxiety, and stress. My job really stresses me out. Also, it doesn't help when I get myself upset about acid reflux. When I let it dominate me and worry me I tend to feel worse. So, my question is between having a better diet and Nexium, what else can I do to help improve this slight irritation? I'm willing to add supplements or anything to help get me over these bumps in the road. I have a couple days I feel great and then it comes back. Suggestions? Thanks!

Comment

• Hi Pinkerton,
                        This thread is about the fact that many of us can't handle PPI's (like the drugs you've been taking) and what worked for me (and lots of other people) instead of using PPI's. So in answer to your question "any suggestions?": Please read through this whole thread. It's full of suggestions. That is the whole point of why it's here. Find the little box that lets you click on Page-1 of the thread and read through the whole thing - there is already a lot of information here.
                        Regards,
                        NYer

Comment

• Hey NYer,

I checked out the thread as you suggested. Lots of useful information. It feels good to know I'm not the only person suffering with this. However, I have some questions for you.

1. Of all the supplements you listed which do you think I'd benefit the most from? I'm thinking of investing in a couple to see if that would further help me along.

2. Does the brand of enzymes matter? Say GNC Super Digestive enzymes vs. Absorb Aid the kind you mentioned. How long did it take to see results?

Keep in mind I still take Nexium. I'd like to incorporate these into my daily routine along with that, for now. I was interested in the Red Raspberry stuff and Absorb Aid enzymes. I have been eating healthy lately and can tell a difference. However, I still have some minor burning in my throat going on along with some tightness and pressure. I'm hopeful these items can help push me over to feel better.

Also, do you think Hummus, Apple Juice, or a strawberry banana smoothie would cause a flare up? I had some and it seems like one of them could have been a culprit to cause another flare up. Not sure but I just get so frustrated sometimes. Did you ever get stressed having it bother you for so long? Did you think you had a serious problem and think the worst? I sometimes feel this way when I get frustrated. Thanks!!!!

Comment

• 1. Of all the supplements you listed which do you think I'd benefit the most from? I'm thinking of investing in a couple to see if that would further help me along.
                            They're all important. In my case, the Digestive Enzymes and DGL made a big difference right away for me. (Within 2 days.)
                            Another thing you should do, by the way, is have a blood test to check your Vitamin D level. It's really important. You're probably low and you need to supplement in fairly high doses. It makes a big difference for a lot of people dealing with GERD/LPR and it makes a big difference in your health in general.

2. Does the brand of enzymes matter? Say GNC Super Digestive enzymes vs. Absorb Aid the kind you mentioned. How long did it take to see results?
                            Yes it matters. Some of them are useless. I've only tried a couple. Never tried GNC. I've been taking AbsorbAid for almost 4 years now. I tried one from Whole Foods - something with "Gold" in the name and it sucked.

Keep in mind I still take Nexium. I'd like to incorporate these into my daily routine along with that, for now. I was interested in the Red Raspberry stuff and Absorb Aid enzymes. I have been eating healthy lately and can tell a difference. However, I still have some minor burning in my throat going on along with some tightness and pressure. I'm hopeful these items can help push me over to feel better

It may be the Nexium causing some of your problems. Some of the side effects of PPI's are exactly the same as GERD/LPR symptoms.

Also, do you think Hummus, Apple Juice, or a strawberry banana smoothie would cause a flare up? I had some and it seems like one of them could have been a culprit to cause another flare up. Not sure but I just get so frustrated sometimes.
                            Yes to hummus (contains lemon juice and often garlic). I doubt apple or strawberry. But banana is a trigger for a lot of people, including me.

Did you ever get stressed having it bother you for so long? Did you think you had a serious problem and think the worst? I sometimes feel this way when I get frustrated. Thanks!!!!
                            Stressed??? I thought I was dying. I couldn't sleep well and due to lack of sleep, suffered from terrible anxiety. I couldn't eat and I lost 30 pounds in 6 weeks. I looked terrible. Chest pain, sinus trouble, ear problems... Stress??? That's an understatement!!

You really need to spend time reading through a lot of the threads on this board. You are NOT alone. There are so many people on here dealing with all the same problems.

Comment

• Thanks for the response, NYer.

I always wondered how much Vitamin D played a role with acid reflux. I have been taking 5,000 I.U. of D3 off and on. What kind of Vitamin D do you take? I think I'm going to invest in the Absorb Aid and Raspberry powder for now and see how that does. I agree with your comment on the Nexium. Last time my prescription ran out I didn't take it for 2 days and felt pretty good. Once I started taking it again the burning in my throat returned. I assumed it was acid reflux and nothing to do with the medication. Until now, I'm thinking it could have something to do with my discomfort. I wake in the morning feeling pretty good only to have the burn return shortly after taking it. So today, I'm holding off on taking it and will see how I do. So far I don't feel that burn I've been feeling. Just some tightness in throat. I assume that it's inflamed due to the what I've been experiencing lately. If I feel some burning coming on I'll take something else for now. I can usually eat bananas with no problems. I've seen some people say it can be a problem. Guess it depends on the person. Thanks for all the info, before I found this thread I was just wandering in circles. You have been a big help!

Comment

• Here's a link to another thread that is primarily about Vitamin D. It's got a lot of good info:
                                [url]http://forums.heartburn-help.com/showthread.php?8333-vitamin-D3-helping-my-LPR-symptoms&highlight=vitamin+d[/url]

Also, be aware of the fact that the longer you've been on PPI drugs, the more likely you are to suffer from REBOUND when you go off of them. You can search through this board under rebound and see what people have to say. But basically what it means is that you go off the PPI drugs and your GERD/LPR comes back with a vengeance for awhile until it settles down again. During the time that you go off of it, make it a point to be really good about doing all of these other things (digestive enzymes, calcium/magnesium, vitamin D, watching what you eat, etc. etc., sleeping with your upper body elevated..and all the other things.)
                                There is no magic pill - I recommend you do ALL of the things mentioned in this thread. Don't pick and choose the ones you think you like. After you feel much better, you can try dropping certain things and see if you develop problems again. But you want to heal before you try to be creative like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X