The All-Natural Regimen That Has Helped My Reflux Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi HaleyBW and NY and NikkiB,

Thanks for thinking of me. I'm doing OK. I couldn't get that test over with fast enough. Listen to NYer..don't do it. I don't see my doc for results until the 15th but like NYer says..what is she going to say.um you still got GERD..duh As far as my reflux, I'm hanging in there. I have my good days and bad. Think I might have to start taking a H2 blocker as I seem to be having more symptoms at night all of a sudden even though I wait 3 hours (at least) after eating to lay down and sleep on a wedge. I had gone from taking a PPI for 3 months to NYers natural treatment plan with no step down medication. I was doing fine, but now having the heart attach chest pains. Not freaking out about it because I know its just the reflux and not actually my heart (I've had all the cardiology test) , but still no fun.

Hope all you ladies had a good, reflux free weekend.

Hazel

Comment

• Don't get your hopes up. I found the H2 blockers did NOTHING for me. I just looked to see what my symptoms were at that time. While I was on Zantac, I had severe bloating, severe heartburn, lots of belching and Dry Mouth. I can't tell you if those were side-effects from the Zantac or rebound reflux from the PPI's for which the Zantac did nothing. I also tried Tagamet and Axid.
      The Canadian Gaviscon never did much for me during the day, but they DO help me at night, to some degree.
      Your mileage may vary. Just letting you know that the H2 blockers didn't help ME.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hazeleyes View Post
        Hi HaleyBW and NY and NikkiB,

Thanks for thinking of me. I'm doing OK. I couldn't get that test over with fast enough. Listen to NYer..don't do it. I don't see my doc for results until the 15th but like NYer says..what is she going to say.um you still got GERD..duh As far as my reflux, I'm hanging in there. I have my good days and bad. Think I might have to start taking a H2 blocker as I seem to be having more symptoms at night all of a sudden even though I wait 3 hours (at least) after eating to lay down and sleep on a wedge. I had gone from taking a PPI for 3 months to NYers natural treatment plan with no step down medication. I was doing fine, but now having the heart attach chest pains. Not freaking out about it because I know its just the reflux and not actually my heart (I've had all the cardiology test) , but still no fun.

Hope all you ladies had a good, reflux free weekend.

Hazel
        Hey Hazel, glad you are done with that awful test at least! I am sorry you are having discomfort at night. For nighttime symptoms I drink an ounce or 2 of aloe vera before bed and also chew DGL tabs about half an hour before bed to coat my digestive tract a bit. It's helping me somewhat so perhaps that can be of some relief to you as well. There's a really good article that explains a lot of the rationale behind many of the treatments NYer has recommended that has helped so many of us here. Am I allowed to share links on this forum because I would like to share the article. I found it helpful.

Comment

• I think you can. If the link doesn't work, you can spell it out!

Comment

• Thanks NYer! Here it is. I even printed it out for my dh to read lol.

http://afibbers.org/resources/heartburn.pdf

I don't know how to make it clickable but if you copy and paste in your browser that should work. Hope others can benefit from it.

Comment

• Fiber??

Hello ladies,

I’ve been searching the web for an answer and of course get conflicting answers..very annoying . I should know by now to just come here and I’ll most likely (99% sure) get the right answer. With my very restricted diet Im not sure Im getting enough fiber. Of course, some sources say too much fiber is bad, others say more fiber will help reduce acid reflux. So I come to ask the great NYer if you’ve done your research on this aspect. (LOL..I’ve just had a funny picture of the Wizard Oz ) If anyone else has an opinion would love to hear it as well.

Hazel

Comment

• Hey Everyone!

Hey Hazel, I hope I don't have to do that test, it sounds horrible! I'm so grateful for all the information NYer and others has posted on here! I also have my good days and bad days as well. But everyday there is some sort of improvement or plateau but not worse. For night time relief for me I'm taking 2 DGL tabs and the Canadian Gaviscon as NYer recommended and I'm finding that it is helping at night. Some nights I don't even take Gaviscon. It really depends on how I feel and what I ate for dinner. However I'm still on PPI's and doing the natural regiments together. I plan on cutting back on the PPI's (2x a day) starting this weekend. I do hope you find something that works for you! I'm sorry I can't be of anymore help. Keep your head up! I just take it one day at a time because I never know what to expect with this GERD. Funny thing... Since this happened I've also found out about family members who are dealing with GERD as well. I didn't know this before, and these are close family members. ~WOW

As for me I had my results today for some ultrasounds I had done on my neck because when my reflux acts up I get a little stiffness along with the chest pain to my back. Chest x-ray and ultrasounds all came out negative. I still get the stomach and chest heat along with the growl... quite loud but the reflux isn't as bad and the nausea has gone away. Also I've stopped weighing myself because I found it was making my anxiety flare up so I threw the scale under my bed. I'm just focusing on getting better as NYer suggested. Staying positive and a lot of praying.

Thanks for the link hayleyBW, umma read it now! Regarding the aloe vera juice, what brand would any of you recommend?

Hey NYer, I'm hoping you are having a wonderful night!!! As well as everyone else!

Comment

• Good morning everyone.

Hazel, I am interested to hear what NYer has to say regarding fiber as well. I know that the SIBO theory would indicate that you don't want too much fiber but personally I don't feel well at all if I am not getting enough and become constipated which just adds to my digestive discomfort. So having said that (maybe TMI LOL) I make sure to get enough fiber for me but I don't overdo. I eat leafy greens and lots of veggies and I make sure to drink enough water throughout the day (but not too much with meals) and that seems OK for me. Looking forward to hearing what others think about this issue.

Nikki, you are very welcome. I hope you and others found the info helpful. I am drinking the Lily of the Desert aloe Herbal stomach formula. I bought it from our local health food store back in February and still have a good bit left of the original bottle. It tastes somewhat bitter and when I first tasted it I was like ewww. However now I almost (almost haha) like it. It doesn't taste bad to me anymore. Not sure what that means but I like drinking it and only have a few ounces a day one ounce at a time depending on my symptoms. Here's a link:
                  http://www.lilyofthedesert.com/product/aloe-herbal-stomach-formula/

Also, I have just started drinking some alkaline water (not with meals because that might impede digestion) and I will keep you posted as to what I think about that but so far so good. It tastes better than regular water. I am not big on the taste of plain water but have been drinking mainly that and herbal teas since I started having acid reflux. So far so good on the alkaline water but again if you start make sure not to drink it near mealtimes.

I also want to share some of the teas I have started drinking that I am finding helpful. From Traditional Medicinals I have started drinking Heartburn Soother and Throat Coat. The Heartburn Soother is better for those with hypertension or kidney issues because it does not contain licorice and the Throat Coat does. They both soothe my digestive tract and make me feel better re heartburn/acid reflux so wanted to share that with you guys. Make sure to read the ingredients to be sure it will be OK for you if you decide to try. Hope it helps!

Comment

• Hello Nikki and HayleyBW,

Funny you say that about ppl we know having GERD Nikki. Since I was diagnosed in January I have been talking to friends and know 8 ppl who have it and I had no idea. What is most surprising to me is that all of them have had it for "years" (7, 15, 30) and they all just pop a pill and go on w life. Most eat whatever they want and don't understand why I'm still suffering (neither do I). On the same token its obvious how oblivious they are as to the long term effects of popping PPI's. When I ask them about natural remedies, stopping the meds or consequences of years of taking a PPI's they are clueless (and prob don't want to know). 3 of them are nurses and my boss's son takes TWO Dexalant a day. That's 120 mg CRAZY!!

As to the Aloe Vera...I drink George's Aloe Vera Juice. Its the only one I found that does not have any citric acid in it. Looks and taste like water. Its very soothing. I purchase it on Amazon or at my local Vitamin Shoppe if they have that chain locally to you.

Im reading the material that you sent HayleyBW..that's a lot of info, a little scary but helpful. Thank you.

Good day to every one!
                    Hazel

Comment

• Helloooo....

Hayley, thanks for posting that link. I haven't gotten all the way through the article yet, but it's very good so far!

Fiber.
                      YES. FIBER is GOOD.
                      Make sure you're drinking plenty of fluids, too. You don't want the fiber to bulk up in your gut. Salad and raw leafy vegs have lots of fiber, but some people have difficulty with the raw stuff (gas, etc.). I don't have any problem with them. Early on, my naturopath mentioned that cooked vegs might be easier on the tummy.

Flax seed is an excellent source of fiber. But it MUST be ground (also called "milled"). If you eat whole flax seeds, your body can't digest them and it comes out whole in your poop. You can buy it milled (pre-ground) or you can buy it whole (cheaper) and grind it yourself in a coffee grinder (that's what I do). The advantage of grinding it yourself is that it's fresher and doesn't lose the nutrients by just sitting and waiting in the warehouse. Once you grind it, you should refrigerate it and keep it out of light (to retain nutrients). I grind a whole bag of it, put it into a zip-lock bag, and put that into a brown paper lunch bag. Flax seed is high in Omega-3 Fatty Acids. Store the ground flax seed in the fridge, or even better, in the FREEZER (that's what I do). It doesn't actually freeze but freezing it makes it keep longer. Remember that seeds and nuts will go rancid after a while, so keeping them in the freezer - or at least in the fridge - keeps them better longer.

If you make shakes, add ground flax seed. If you eat hot cereal, add ground flax seed. If you bake, add ground flax seed. Add it to yogurt.

Now...that said...
                      When you first start using flax seed, TAKE IT EASY!! Start with two TEASPOONS a day for a few days. Then work your way up to a tablespoon (which = 3 teaspoons, in case you didn't know that). Then, over the course of a few weeks, gradually work your way up to 3 tablespoons. WHY? You ask? ***

***Because if you don't listen to me and you start out with a larger amount, you will poop in your pants while you are standing in the kitchen.

You have to build up a "tolerance" to it.

This stuff will really make you "regular". If you are constipated, this will help you a lot. But, like I said, make sure you drink plenty of fluid, too. Also, initially, especially if you add too much too quickly, you'll probably FART a lot.

If you are adding the flax seed to your breakfast, I recommend that you leave yourself plenty of time after eating before you leave for work. You WILL have to poop. But, of course, done in the right location, that's a good thing! Have I been clear enough on these details?

I don't find fiber to be a negative in any way as far as GERD goes. And I think there is a lot to be said for anything that keeps stuff MOVING through your digestive system, so it leaves your stomach and doesn't reflux up.

Happy Tuesday,
                      NYer

Comment

• I tried aloe juice but I didn't find it to help. That said, though, other people have said good things about it. And I agree with Hazel's point about being careful to find one that doesn't have citric acid in it.
                        AND...it is a laxative. So take it easy with how much you drink!

Note: that is the last comment I will make on poop today.

Comment

• Hayley,
                          Do you buy the alkaline water or make it with one of those gadgets? I'd like to try that because I find that regular water makes me burp.

I also want to share some of the teas I have started drinking that I am finding helpful. From Traditional Medicinals I have started drinking Heartburn Soother and Throat Coat. The Heartburn Soother is better for those with hypertension or kidney issues because it does not contain licorice and the Throat Coat does. They both soothe my digestive tract and make me feel better re heartburn/acid reflux so wanted to share that with you guys.
                          Thank you for sharing that info. I would also recommend that you add Slippery Elm Bark powder (stir it well and make sure it dissolves) and Active Manuka Honey to any of those teas. mmmmmm.

Comment

• So I come to ask the great NYer if you’ve done your research on this aspect. (LOL..I’ve just had a funny picture of the Wizard Oz )
                            Actually, I look more like Dorothy.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYer View Post
                              Hayley,
                              Do you buy the alkaline water or make it with one of those gadgets? I'd like to try that because I find that regular water makes me burp.

Thank you for sharing that info. I would also recommend that you add Slippery Elm Bark powder (stir it well and make sure it dissolves) and Active Manuka Honey to any of those teas. mmmmmm.
                              Hi Nyer, you are very welcome and I am glad you are finding that link I shared helpful. I definitely thought it worthwhile to read and found a lot of it supported everything you have recommended here.
                              I want to also thank you for the recommendation for the black raspberry powder. Mine came last week and I added it to a fruit smoothie today and it was delicious!
                              I also have tried the slippery elm powder (as per your recommendation) in my teas so thank you for that as well

As for the alkaline water I did both-I ordered the drops and got the bottled water. My order for the Alkazone drops from Amazon has not yet arrived so I got some bottled alkazone water at whole foods this weekend and I find it very refreshing. I am only drinking a bottle or so of it a day right now because I want to take it slow and also since we shouldn't have it near mealtimes that limits when we can have it. The rest of the time I am drinking regular bottled water or herbal teas. The alkaline water definitely tastes better to me than regular bottled water. I would just want to be careful about impeding digestion in any way with it since it is alkaline and we need acid to digest our food and also be careful because I don't know about rebound with it. I mean we get rebound with PPI's and obviously that is more heavy duty than the water but since it is relatively a new thing I would want to be careful with having too much if that makes sense. Let me know what you think if you try it. If you order the Alkazone drops you are supposed to add 3 drops per 8 ounces of water. I will update this thread when it arrives with my thoughts. Enjoy

And LOL on the poop talk. Personally I am obsessed with poop because I always feel better when I am regular yanno?

Comment

• Hayley,
                                Don't worry about rebound from the alk water. Rebound is just an issue with the PPI's. They totally stop production of stomach acid. Whereas antacids (which is what the alkaline water would be) just neutralize the existing acid at any particular moment. So it's not turning off a bodily function like PPI's do. The Rebound from PPI's is your body saying, "Hey! I have to make up for lost time here!!" And it pumps out an overload of acid. And your LES gets confused because when your stomach pumps out acid, it means you must be getting ready to eat. And if you're getting ready to eat, your LES relaxes to let food in. ....and when it does that, it also lets whatever is in your stomach come up into the esophagus. And there you have GERD.

Antacids just address what they actually come into contact with in your stomach. Not what will be coming later. So your stomach has some acid in it, the antacid turns that particular batch of acid alkaline and it all goes down the hole into the intestines (and, ultimately, out the tushy). (See what I did there? Poop again!)
                                Anyway, so it has no effect on confusing your stomach into thinking it's been negligent in it's duties.

And, you're welcome about the black raspberry powder recommendation. Yes, I think it's delicious, too. You can mix it into so many things. One thing to be aware of: It stains! Sort of like spilling grape juice on yourself. And also, It can stain your teeth a bit. So you might want to rinse your mouth with clear water after you eat it. Or, of course, you can brush your teeth. They make a bunch of other fruit powders, too. My most favorite one is the mango. This just got me thinking about mixing the mango with the black raspberry. OMG...

On another note,
                                My significant other was just trying to convince me to write a book on this. Lots of people are telling me to do that. Hmmm.

Comment

Working...
                                X