No announcement yet.

The All-Natural Regimen That Has Helped My Reflux Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know that my GERD is directly related to my head. I had a very difficult situation this AM and my GERD was churning. I sat down in a quiet place for 5 minutes and consciously let the situation go. Within minutes my GERD was gone and I have had an excellent day. It may be more in my head than I even thought.

I just read the post on this thread about burping. I think burping is supposed to be very good for GERD people. I have heard there is a calcium citrate designed to make you burp. Does anyone know anything about this?
    Last edited by bugrat; 09-19-2008, 08:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I read on this thread--cannot remember who said it, to try Calcium Citrate in powder form. My doctor has me taking 6 capsules of Cal-Mag-Citrate a day. I broke the capsules open and put 3 of them in my yogurt. OMG--it was so nasty and bitter that I immediately threw it up. Tried again in a bit of juice, which I normally don't drink and it was like drinking boiled dandelions and I knew after one gulp I could not keep it down. How in the world do you take this stuff?

Comment

A company called "NOW" makes a powdered calcium citrate. You can put it in yogurt or applesauce. I just put a 1/4 teaspoon onto a bigger spoon, filled the spoon with water to cover the calcium powder and then swallowed the whole thing.
        That said, I don't know that it helped my LES and what it did do is aggravate my heartburn because the citrate was irritating. So I don't take that anymore.

Comment

My doctor said that calcium citrate in powder form will horribly aggravate GERD. Since I have very low vitamin D, he has me take Equate (Walmart brand) Calcium Citrate Capsules, 6 per day. I am not to open the capsules so the stuff does not touch my esophagus on the way down because it can really irritate it and reflux can get worse.

Comment

Thanks NYer for this information.

I found the NOW brand calcium citrate powder and have been taking it for about 2 weeks.
            At first I was mixing 1/4 teaspoon in some water and drinking it about 4 times per day.
            It doesn't really dissolve in water, so I needed to spoon the sludge into my mouth.
            I now just take 1 teaspoon of the powder directly into my mouth, let it dissolve a bit, followed by some water, mixing in my mouth and swallowing. I do this just before bed. It's easier this way and it saves me from washing out the cup .

It actually tastes pretty good.

I think it may be helping. I have been able to cut back to 1 Zegerid per day.
            I still feel some minor throat irritation when I wake up at night, but there has been a definite improvement.
            The only caution is that I have had short periods where my reflux seemed to improve for no apparant reason, so I cannot be positive that the improvement is strictly due to the calcium citrate powder.
            It certainly is not aggravating my reflux though.

Andy_01

Comment

That's excellent! I'm so glad that it's potentially helping. Yeah, the calcium powder really doesn't dissolve. You can also put it on yogurt or applesauce but that's more of a pain in the butt than it's worth. As you figured out, you can just put it in your mouth and wash it down with something and save on dishes, LOL!

Comment

black rasberry powder

Where do you get the black rasberry powder?
                Teddy

Comment

nutrifruit.com--but know that the stuff is so nasty! You will have to find a way to doctor it. It is a wonderful flavoring for things that are already sweet though.

Comment

I get my black raspberry powder from nutri-fruit.com and it's delicious. I just mix it with water. I don't add anything to it. (Don't know what Bugrat doesn't like about it.) I recommended it to a friend of mine who can't wait to eat it in her yogurt every day.
                    In the afternoon, I often mix it with rice milk (I can't drink regular milk), and it's really delicious that way - like a smoothie. I also get pomegranite, banana, blueberry, strawberry, red raspberry, blackberry, and cranberry powder from them. Sometimes I mix up various combinations of them. They're all delicious. The black raspberry stains, though, so be careful not to get it on your clothes!

Comment

It is extremely bitter and I hate the grittiness. If I mix it in something, like pudding that has lots of sugar or honey, it is better. I also mix it with sugar and butter and spread on toast and heat. That works too.

Comment

Bugrat, I wonder if you got a bad can or if it sat out and spoiled. I've gone through tons of that stuff - it's NEVER been bitter or gritty! By the way, unless you go through the stuff very quickly, it's best to keep it in the freezer. It doesn't actually freeze, so it's readily usable, but the freezer prevents the fruit powders from picking up any moisture. When they get moisture in them, they can get gritty and/or lumpy.
                        And here's another tip...if they do sit out and get lumpy, you can put the lumpy powder into a coffee grinder and it'll turn into a fine powder. I did that with the banana before I knew enough to keep it in the freezer and it worked like a charm (the banana picks up moisture really quickly).

Comment

natural remedies

I am posting on this thread because of my new interest in natural support. I have found some, not all, relief in slippery elm bark made in a tea.

I have (supposedly) esophogeal spasms with motility issues and a 3-4 cm hiatal hernia. It all started in 2001 when I thought I was having a heart attack after eating at a Chinese Rest. I went to the ER, they administered nitro and GI cocktail, stress test, and heart nuclear test. No issues with heart so they ruled it GERD. Then in 2002 I was put to sleep, upper scope completed, and the diagnosis of above is where this came from, so Procardia was added and due to migraine headaches as a side effect, my GI doctor said that was all he could do, end of that story. So, my PCP put me on Pepsid, then Prilosec, then Prevacid, and now Nexium each time taking the max dose. I have been on these drugs since 2001 with continued on and off break through chest pain and severe heartburn with weight loss. So, now I have been on the chest pain and heartburn (even water hurts) for 4 weeks with no relief. My PCP sent me to a UM...doctor, not what I would call hiim, he spent 7 minutes with me, stated I did not need a scope, increased my Nexium to 80 mg a day, and started me on Isordil 2.5 mg a day for the chest pain. After coming home and researching the studies of increased Nexium, no study supports a difference in that much Nexium, and the Isordil is related to heart pain. From this email, I am sure you must know I was very clear as to my issues and explanations. So, I am scheduled for another GI doctor for the 19th of this month, and I am going to day to get me some baby food to help with eating. I refuse to increase the Nexium and I am not going to take anymore of it for a while as it doesn't appear to have been helping since the break throughs, and I threw away the Isordil. My PCP had prescribed for me back in 2007, and I found them, Zanaflex for the chest pain and in very, very small dosage during the day I get relief from the pain, not the heartburn. So, wish me luch on the 19th, and it is great to find a site for discussion since I live alone and I don't have anyone else to discuss this with.

Comment

nruss6011,

Please try the things that I described in this thread. The difference for me was astounding and only took a couple of days. The main thing, I think, is the digestive enzymes. They're over-the-counter and they do no harm. In my case, they helped immensely. Same with the DGL ...get the chewables so they start working before you even swallow them.

And unless the new doctor you're going to is known to work with "complementary" or "alternative" care, you're just going to come home with another prescription for a PPI and/or H2 blocker.

I hope you feel better really soon.

Comment

nruss6011

Hi nruss Welcome aboard . I was reading your post and couldn't help but notice you were diagnosed with esophageal spasms and poor motility on an endoscopy . Those things absolutely cannot be diagnosed on endoscopy .

A manometry test is the only test that can diagnose motility problems and esophageal spasms . There are 2 types of spasms , diffuse and nutcracker . There are many causes of chest pain .

When you go to your new GI you should request a manometry and ph test . Since you had a negative endoscopy a ph test is important to determine if you do have pathological GERD , and a manometry will test for spasms and other motility problems.

GERD is a complex thing and there are different types . Half of all people with GERD symptoms have all negative tests . Proper evaluation will help you determine what route to take in your treatment in the future . Take Care

Comment

Russ, my doctor has put me on an endoscopy with a biopsy every 3 years. If I were you I would ask about that. I agree that the DGL and the digestive enzymes are very helpful. I also have esophageal spasms very severely at times. Activated charcoal (260 mg) works wonders for me.

Nyer, I opened the second can of powder when I finished up the first. It is identical to the first. It is a fine powder but turns gritty when the water hits it and yuck. I will keep using it, but "yuck". I find I can tolerate it spread on a piece of buttered toast with a bit of jam mixed in.

Comment

Working...
                                X