No announcement yet.

The All-Natural Regimen That Has Helped My Reflux Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, I hope all is doing well. Here's an update with me.
    This is my 3rd day of ppi's and im not doing bad, I'm still loosing weight and to be honest its concerning me. Im at the point where I look unwell. Im trying to eat to gain the weight but its either im not eating enough or by body just isnt absorbing the nutrition from the food. Its really bothering me to be honest... People are telling me not to loose anymore weight but I can't help it! I went to see a naturopathic doctor today and she was glad I came of the PPI'S. She also mentioned without stomach acid my body isn't absorbing what it needs to properly. She put me on a multi vitamin and gave me digestive bitters to try to get my digestive system working. Also she suggested I continue doing what im doing regarding the slippery elm and probiotics! My stomach feels better but I'm still loosing weight. I'm really trying not to worry and look at tge positive side but my weight is weighing on my mind! As yiu already know my iron is low as well. The supplement im taking for it is not bothering me at all so I will continue hoping to get it up. Im suppose to go for another scope in two mts but my scope Dr. Doesn't think I need to do one so soon. Another good thing is that the slippery elm makes me feel better as well. Not constipated anymore. I know u went through this NYer... sometimes SOMETIMES I just cant help but feel there is something else going on with my body.

Comment

• Well, yes, there IS something else going on. You're anemic. I'm glad you went to a Naturopath. I'm also glad that the iron supplement isn't bothering you. But do keep in mind that iron is constipating. So talk to the Naturopath about what to do about that, too.

Comment

• Yes I know... the slippery elm is helping the constipation! Thank God. She told me to continue!

Comment

• Originally posted by NYer View Post
          I have been lusting after those Vitamix blenders. They're expensive and they're a little bit large and I don't have the counter-space in my kitchen. But I go to Williams-Sonoma and stare at them longingly.
          NYer, have you tried the NutriBullet 900 series then? It's much smaller but takes up less space and makes single serving smoothies. The Vitamix is still way more powerful and has more uses but the NutriBullet does the job re smoothies if you want to make your own.

Comment

• Originally posted by NikkiB View Post
            Hello, I hope all is doing well. Here's an update with me.
            This is my 3rd day of ppi's and im not doing bad, I'm still loosing weight and to be honest its concerning me. Im at the point where I look unwell. Im trying to eat to gain the weight but its either im not eating enough or by body just isnt absorbing the nutrition from the food. Its really bothering me to be honest... People are telling me not to loose anymore weight but I can't help it! I went to see a naturopathic doctor today and she was glad I came of the PPI'S. She also mentioned without stomach acid my body isn't absorbing what it needs to properly. She put me on a multi vitamin and gave me digestive bitters to try to get my digestive system working. Also she suggested I continue doing what im doing regarding the slippery elm and probiotics! My stomach feels better but I'm still loosing weight. I'm really trying not to worry and look at tge positive side but my weight is weighing on my mind! As yiu already know my iron is low as well. The supplement im taking for it is not bothering me at all so I will continue hoping to get it up. Im suppose to go for another scope in two mts but my scope Dr. Doesn't think I need to do one so soon. Another good thing is that the slippery elm makes me feel better as well. Not constipated anymore. I know u went through this NYer... sometimes SOMETIMES I just cant help but feel there is something else going on with my body.
            Nikki, I am glad you are feeling better and that the naturopath is helping you. I am also trying to add some weight because I am too skinny right now and have somehow managed to lose 2 more lbs bringing me to 100 lbs.
            That's the main impetus for me getting the Vitamix. So I can add healthy smoothies to my everyday diet. It's easier to add calories this way in addition to eating meals. So just adding and not taking anything away in terms of what I eat. I expect to be adding my weight back very soon this way. My goal is to get back to my normal 108-110 lbs.

Good luck with your continued healing and congrats on getting off those PPI's. It still amazes me how many doctors hand them out like candy. Shocking really.

Comment

• Originally posted by hayleyBW View Post
              Nikki, I am glad you are feeling better and that the naturopath is helping you. I am also trying to add some weight because I am too skinny right now and have somehow managed to lose 2 more lbs bringing me to 100 lbs.
              That's the main impetus for me getting the Vitamix. So I can add healthy smoothies to my everyday diet. It's easier to add calories this way in addition to eating meals. So just adding and not taking anything away in terms of what I eat. I expect to be adding my weight back very soon this way. My goal is to get back to my normal 108-110 lbs.

Good luck with your continued healing and congrats on getting off those PPI's. It still amazes me how many doctors hand them out like candy. Shocking really.
              Thanks Hayley! I'm just trying to take this one day at a time... Its hard some days, Really HARD some days but I'm still here! How tall are you?

Comment

• Hey Nikki, one day at a time is the best way to get through it and allow yourself to heal. I'm 5'6" and I know my usual weight is light but that's my normal. I am very active all the time and lots of energy so I burn a lot of calories. I love long distance cycling and so use up calories even though I love food and enjoy eating. The only reason I lost weight is because I was feeling so unwell these past 5 plus months and was just so uncomfortable that I didn't feel like eating. Now my goal is to regain my weight back to where I feel my best.

Hang in there. We're all rooting for you!

Comment

• Hey Heyley and all,
                  My usual weight is 145lbs, so the weight loss was a good thing lol but now I'm 125lbs and I'm not liking it at all. I dont look well... I'm only 5'3 but I had a lot of muscle. Lost all of that. I would like to go back to 135lbs. So i carried my weight really well. Right now I'm on a regiment of digestive bitters (which works if I have reflux), multi vitamin, liquid iron 2x a day, slippery elm, probiotics and digestive formula pills. Naturo doc wants to get my digestive system working on its own again so I could start absorbing the nutrients properly!

Thanks everyone! And im rooting for u all too!

Comment

• Hey Nikki, that sounds like a good plan. I wonder if you or NYer know if taking digestive enzymes with every meal (which I am doing as well) can cause your body to stop producing enzymes of their own?

I am also taking probiotics and eating fermented veggies to repopulate my digestive tract with good bacteria. And taking DGL as necessary. And also digestive bitters to stimulate my digestive enzymes to work but concerned that taking so many digestive enzymes every day could cause my pancreas to stop producing pancreatic enzymes of their own.

Thanks and enjoy the day everyone. We're about to leave on a nice long bike ride and the weather here for once is beautiful and dry and not humid at all woohoo

Comment

• Hey Haley,
                      Thanks for the weather report! Haha! I woke up late and haven't opened the window yet for fear that I'd get a blast of hot humid air, so I was glad to read your post. I shall exit the building and go outside today!

In regards to your question about digestive enzymes:
                      ...taking digestive enzymes every day could cause my pancreas to stop producing pancreatic enzymes?
                      The short answer is: No.
                      Here is why: It is the presence of hormones, not enzymes, that signals the body to secrete more or less enzymes. Whether from internal or external (supplemental) enzymes, the complete breaking down of the chemical bonds of food macromolecules is the indicator for the hormones secretin and cholecystekinin to signal the pancreas to stop secreting pancreatic juices. Taking supplemental digestive enzymes supports and assists the digestive function; it does not inhibit it.

Comment

• Thanks for that info NYer! Enjoy the beautiful day

Comment

• Hello ladies,

Its been a bit since I posted. I'm not doing that well. Having a bunch of symptoms that I can't get a handle on nor are being helped by my diet or supplements. I get these awful pains under my ribs, shoulder (collar bone) and underarm area after eating. I also have awful pressure in my ears, which I wonder could that be acid getting up that high? Some days are just very HARD. HaleyBW my weight loss is also one of my biggest worries. Im down to 105 from 128. I look AWFUL and I think my hair is falling out

Comment

• Hazel, I am so sorry you aren't doing well.

Are your symptoms getting worse or is there some improvement? The weight loss is a big problem for sure as we are less able to cope with other illnesses when our weight is so low. Our immune system is not functioning properly. That's the main impetus behind me buying 2 Vitamixes (one for our NYC home and one for our beach house so I am never without it). I have been making healthy smoothies/drinks every day now in addition to eating my meals and I think it is helping me gain some weight. The thought behind it is that it is easier to digest a nutritious smoothie because our digestive system doesn't have to do all the work. The nutrients are right there. You don't need to spend the money for a Vitamix however as there are other blenders that will do the job just fine.

My symptoms were improving but last night and today I have burning again in my chest/arms and back and I have no clue what triggered it except that I had to d/c antihistamines as of last Thursday because I am seeing an allergist today and I was told I had to stop all my antihistamines. I know I produce large amounts of histamine as my derm did a scratch test on me and I was crazy welting off the boards. So he put me on 2 antihistamines a day-one AM and one PM and I think that was helping somewhat. Perhaps you are also a large histamine producer and with the allergies going wild this season it is exacerbating your symptoms as well...can you try taking an allegra in the AM and see if that helps at all?

So sorry you are dealing with this and sending you healing vibes and (((hugs))). Hope you start feeling lots better soon.

Comment

• Hi Haley. I THOUGHT I was doing better and in some areas I am. The burning pain behind my sternum has gone away as well as the general chest pain. I only get the "heart attack" and back pains occasionally instead of 24/7. But now I have these other issues I didn't have before. I'm going in for allergy testing (both seasonal and food allergies). I do have a vitamix which I used to used daily, but now a fruit smoothies gives me reflux. I can feel the fumes coming up my throat not so much "heart burn".

Can I crash your beach house?

Comment

• Lol yes you can
                                Happy for you to visit us!

I'm at the allergist right now waiting for him to come in...

're fruit smoothies. Is it all fruit that causes reflux for you? I make it half greens and veggies and half fruit. Maybe experiment with using different fruit and more veggies?

Are you taking antihistamines?

Comment

Working...
                                X