Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• betsypear1
    replied
    Intreresting about the cabbage juice. Have heard that was good, but didn't like the idea of just cabbage juice. And I have to get myself a juicer...but I've also read that juicing in general is good for reflux.

I hereby institute a ban on all inhaling of food or beverages everwhere. (been there, done that, too)

Leave a comment:

• mike250
    replied
    you can try cabbage juice. its filled with glutamine. could mix it with some carrots to improve the taste.

I remember inhaling manuka honey by accident once. very very horrible experience. coughed like hell.

Leave a comment:

• betsypear1
    replied
    Wow, that's no fun about the swallowing/inhaling episode. Glad you're doing okay. I tend to want to stay away from the vinegar, but it is true that there are a lot of folks that find it helps them. I really don't get it.

Thanks for the feedback about the L-Glutamine. Next time I buy it, I'm going to get the powdered kind.

Leave a comment:

• NYer
    replied
    When I'm not home, I keep L-Glutamine capsules with me and I take those. The only problem with them is that they are let potent so I have to take three of them. I recently bought a more potent one that turned out to be a tablet - not a capsule - and it's huge. I'm not even going to try to swallow those. But anyway, there is no reason not to take it in capsule form. Unlike DGL, which you want to start working in your mouth, the L-Glut is fine to get to your stomach first.

American Gaviscon is useless. Don't bother with it.

Last week, I swallowed something the wrong way and I inhaled it. I didn't choke but I coughed so hard and so long that I did a real number on my throat and couldn't talk for two days. I went to the ENT and he did an endoscope of my larynx. I'm OK and it was good to see that my larynx looks generally OK after having GERD for so long.

Anyway, I mention this because I was desperate to find something to help my throat the night before I saw the doctor. And after reading everything on the web, I mixed up some apple cider vinegar and honey with hot water. I gargled with it and sipped it slowly. You know what? It was very irritating. So I stopped. That's the first vinegar of any kind that I've had in two years. I mentioned it to the doctor and he is a very holistic kind of guy so if he thought it wasn't a good idea, I know it wasn't. He told me not to do that again - said ACV is irritating. OK. So there is no way, I'd use that to try to help my esoph or my stomach. I think people get sucked into believing anything when they're desperate and ACV is supposed to be the cure for everything now. It's not. Don't bother with it.

Leave a comment:

• betsypear1
    replied
    Oh, and regarding the Gaviscon, I was sort of kidding about the chocolate flavor. Yeah, I can't eat chocolate, for sure, but do love it...

I haven't ordered the Canadian Gaviscon, but I did try the ones I have (cherry-flavored and not bad tasting, to me) and it didn't seem to help...phooey. I guess I could still order the non-aluminum type from Canada.

Another thing I tried a week or so ago was apple cider vinegar. A lot of people seem to swear by it for curing their GERD, but all it seemed to do was make mine worse. Of course, I just used the supermarket kind, not the organic, so I may try that at some point and see... but there seem to be people who are low acid and others who have too much. I'm thinking maybe I'm one of the ones that produces too much, and that is what I'm trying to solve - what causes that? I guess there can be more than one cause.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X