• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Nyer

Sorry about that...

Comment

• Nyer:

Update: I'm using Papaya enzymes (3x with meal), D3 supplements and Red apples at night. With this combination, I am still getting only minor refluxes during the day that go away in seconds, and nothing at night (nothing that I feel anyway). The doctor was surprised that this combination was giving relief, but it definitely is. Have you tried Carafate at night rather than Gaviscon?

The one biggie that I noticed lately is that if I play drums for more than 30 minutes, I get general stomach pain the next morning (spikes, throbbing) and heartburn skyrockets. I suspect I have a minor hatial hernia that is becoming inflamed by the playing, since drumming "shakes" your chest a lot. But I'm just guessing.

Anyway, you definitely put me on the right path with the D3 and enzymes.

Comment

• Hi Acidstrom,
        Glad to hear you're feeling better!
        Carafate was one of the drugs I was using back before I found out how to do this the right way. I found Carafate to be completely useless.

Comment

• Thank you too who ever posted this.

I have tried a lot of the remedy's on here and it has been working great. i have now combined these remedy's with this natural heartburn relief program i have found and i haven't had an instance of heartburn for a few weeks now. I can finally sleep at night and im not spending a lot of money on OTC treatments anymore.

Once again Thank you

Comment

• You're Welcome

Thank you too who ever posted this.
            You're welcome!
            And thank you for YOUR post. It makes me really happy to know that I've helped someone else. I was so overwhelmingly happy and thankful when I finally felt better - I felt it was my responsibility to "pay it forward" and help other people who are in the same boat that I was.

Last week, I decided for some stupid reason, to order fried rice when we ordered up Chinese food. Big mistake. I haven't had oily/fried food in two years. I immediately got bad heartburn for the rest of the evening. I haven't had it that bad in quite some time. But it was a good reminder. Sticking to eating properly makes a tremendous difference and I can't deviate from that. I'll probably have to continue eating carefully for the rest of my life. But that has a lot of other benefits, anyway. Yes, I miss pizza. And chocolate. And egg rolls. And lots of other stuff. But they aren't worth the trade-off of going back to feeling horrible all the time.

I still take all of the supplements and do all of the things that I've mentioned in this thread over the past two years. And it works - for me. And I'm glad to know it works for you, too.

And by the way, I see that, as of today, this thread has been viewed 11,206 times since I first posted it almost 2 years ago. Obviously, it's helped a few other people, too!

It's really nice to hear feedback from people letting me know that this helped them.

All the best to you,
            NYer

Comment

• side effects

Hi Stardust, I am reading PPIs gave you burning. Can you tell me what PPIs you tried? Protonix 20 mg a day caused severe burning in my throat, chest and tongue. All the other PPIs, H2blockers and andtiacids I took subsequently caused a severe burning tongue.
              NYer, I am thinking of starting to use DGL and I am reading about it. thank you for all the info !

Originally posted by Stardust View Post
              Hi NYer,

I read through this and it's interesting. I'm going to try it. I have such weird symptoms when I take PPI's. They give me substernal burning that I didn't have before I took them! It happens usually on the 3rd or 4th day into the PPI. I take one and my chest starts burning like I have heartburn. But I didn't have heartburn before I took one. And then it makes my swallowing painful. They are strange and powerful drugs.

Anyhow, you said you couldn't tolerate PPI's. What were your side-effects exactly?

I have a few questions/concerns about your natural regimen. It looks great but about the black rasberry powder. Could it possibly cause reflux just because it's black rasberry? Or are rasberries a GERD safe fruit? I'm concerned about this.

Also your Canadian Gaviscon link didn't work. How do you get it? Does it work as well as American Gaviscon?

I'm curious to hear your story with GERD and how you came to this solution. Do you have LPR type symtoms and does this regimen help with those? Also, what is your main diet like? Anything you don't eat (wheat, gluten, dairy) and what do you eat?

Also, wondering what you did or do for your anxiety. I know all to well about waking up shaking wondering what my GERD symtoms are going to be for the day.

Thanks for all the info! I'm VERY interested.

Star

Comment

• You're welcome. But just so you realize - Stardust posted that information that you quoted in December of 2008, so you might not get a response.

Comment

• Lurker here and 1st post....fellow GERD sufferer along with Barrett's and a hiatal hernia.
                  I wanted to say "THANK YOU!" to NYer for the great information and post. I've incorporated some of your regimen into my own treatment, specifically the AbsorbAid, and the Calcium Citrate. I bought the black raspberry powder and plan to use that too.
                  I've also been taking probiotics and George's Aloe Vera along with drinking Chamomile tea. Chiropractic manipulation with an adjustment for the hernia too.
                  The GERD seems better controlled on Kapidex which I started a month ago when Protonix stopped working.

My main issue is not so much the heartburn anymore, but terrible stomach spasms from the large hiatal hernia.
                  I wound up in the emergency room 2 nights ago as the spasms would not stop. I get trapped stomach gas and if I can't burp it causes fairly intense pain. This time it started to radiate down my arm and up my neck and felt like a full blown heart attack.
                  Usually I take a NuLev and Gas-X when the happens but it didn't work that night...going back to the gastro doc on Monday for more options.

Does anyone have any suggestions for stopping or controlling stomach spasm? Surgery is something I want to avoid unless I have no other choice.

Thanks in advance for any information

Comment

• Hi Jas,
                    You're welcome! I'm glad those things are helping.
                    Sorry to hear about the stomach problems. That sounds terrible. Are you sure they're from the hiatal hernia and not a side-effect of the Kapidex? Now that you're taking the natural stuff, you might want to consider weaning off of the drugs and see if that helps you.

Also, I find that if I feel queezy or just have some sort of stomach ache, I open up 4 Absorbaids and mix them in water (room temp), about 1/4 cup of water, and drink it down. Big burp and stomach feels better. I don't know if that will help you but it's certainly worth a try - no harm done.

All the best to you, I hope this helps.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYer View Post
                      Hi Jas,
                      You're welcome! I'm glad those things are helping.
                      Sorry to hear about the stomach problems. That sounds terrible. Are you sure they're from the hiatal hernia and not a side-effect of the Kapidex? Now that you're taking the natural stuff, you might want to consider weaning off of the drugs and see if that helps you.

Also, I find that if I feel queezy or just have some sort of stomach ache, I open up 4 Absorbaids and mix them in water (room temp), about 1/4 cup of water, and drink it down. Big burp and stomach feels better. I don't know if that will help you but it's certainly worth a try - no harm done.

All the best to you, I hope this helps.
                      Thanks...almost 100% positive it's from the hernia.
                      It was interesting that the emergency room doc, who was great, went over the CAT scan that he did with me as I was describing how the pain happened and what I do to treat it. The scan showed a large gas bubble, along with the hernia that actually was into my lung area....the radiologist thought I had pneumonia from the initial X-ray.
                      The e/r doc agreed with my "diagnosis" and that it was not an esophageal spasm. After my pain and stomach distention went away, I would assume the hernia slide down a bit. I also need to lose 10 pounds as I think that would make a lot of difference.
                      I've had the spasms before, at first every few months, then weeks and now days but never that bad.....does not seem related to the Kapidex which my gastro doc told me to increase if I wanted...which I do not.
                      Interestingly, the chiro adjustments and walking were starting to help.....less frequent attacks with somewhat bearable pain.

I swear all this started when I stopped drinking after the GERD and Barrett's diagnosis!

Comment

• Yeah, I know - one day we're going to find out that eating chocolate, drinking, and smoking pot are all actually helpful for our ailments. Hmm...actually, come to think of it, they say dark chocolate and red wine are good for you and lots of people smoke pot to help incurable illnesses. What the heck...let's party!

Comment

• terrible stomach spasms from the large hiatal hernia.
                          So sorry you're having such a terrible time. Please be aware that surgery often isn't effective for folks with large hiatal hernias, because the nature of the muscle makes repair very difficult. Thus the muscle often can't hold the wrap over time, and patient can end up worse than before surgery. (This is one reason I often urge folks here to have surgery before things progress to this point.)

If your doctors steer you this way, please ask a lot of questions about how the repair will be done, what the prognosis is as far as durability, and so forth.

Hang in there!

Comment

• What the heck...let's party!
                            Let me know where the party is, NYer, and I'll be there.

I never had trouble with wine, but chocolate was a huge problem (though I ate it anyway, given that I was an addict back then). As for pot, well, I'm pleading the fifth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thistle View Post
                              So sorry you're having such a terrible time. Please be aware that surgery often isn't effective for folks with large hiatal hernias, because the nature of the muscle makes repair very difficult. Thus the muscle often can't hold the wrap over time, and patient can end up worse than before surgery. (This is one reason I often urge folks here to have surgery before things progress to this point.)

If your doctors steer you this way, please ask a lot of questions about how the repair will be done, what the prognosis is as far as durability, and so forth.

Hang in there!

What would be the alternative then? I would expect a Nissen wrap, but are there any other choices?
                              Actually, every doctor I know including my PCP tell me to avoid any surgery!

Thanks very much

Comment

• Actually, every doctor I know including my PCP tell me to avoid any surgery!
                                Have you asked them why they tell you this?

The alternative to surgery for GERD is lifestyle modifications and drugs.

Comment

Working...
                                X